Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thomson "stamping" incident worrying All Blacks

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Thomson "stamping" incident worrying All Blacks

November 12, 2012, 9:26 am

EDINBURGH (AFP) - Anxious All Blacks coach Steve Hansen will discover today if flanker Adam Thomson will be ruled out of the rest of their European tour for disciplinary reasons.

Thomson faces a ban after being investigated by the citing commissioner for an alleged stamp on the head of Scotland opposite number Al Strokosch during New Zealand's victory at Murrayfield.

Home coach Andy Robinson made it clear he reckoned the contest could have been much closer had Thomson been red carded instead of just receiving a yellow.

Robinson said: "The touch judge had a very good view - it is now in the hands of the citing commissioner."

When it was suggested to Robinson that any contact between boot and head usually merits a straight dismissal, he replied: "You would think so."

Thomson faces being banned for the rest of the trip if found guilty of violent conduct.

Hansen believes the offence was not as serious as it looked on TV.

He said: "Someone will take a look at it and decide if it was malicious or reckless. I suggest it was just reckless.

"I didn't see it at the time but I saw the replay. It looked like Adam was frustrated - he placed his boot on the guy's head, but he didn't stomp him."

Hansen, who will now turn his focus on the clash with Italy, added: "Scotland came at us with a lot of physical intent, but our guys did some wonderful things.

"Dan Carter obviously caused them a lot of problems, but his job was made easier by scrum half Piri Weepu.

"Piri has been under a lot of pressure lately, however I thought he was fantastic out there."

Scotland were under pressure from the start and they infringed at the opening ruck - handing Carter an instant pot at goal, which he landed.

Then came the moment that sent the home crowd into raptures.

Carter was back in the spotlight for negative reasons as his floated pass was snatched by Matt Scott, who scuttled into enemy territory.

With the New Zealand markers committed upfield, he popped the ball to winger Visser, who was left with a cruise to the line from 20 metres out - leaving the stage clear for Greig Laidlaw to slot the angled conversion.

Carter made immediate amends by twice getting involved in a well-controlled move which paved the way for full-back Israel Dagg to sprint through for the first Kiwi score. Carter added the extras.

Scotland replied in positive fashion and quickly levelled the issue via the boot of Laidlaw from close range.

Carter restored his team's advantage after Scott held on to a rival too long in the tackle inside his own danger zone.

That was the cue for New Zealand to crank up the pace and a marvellous flowing sequence featuring accurate passing created the time and space for winger Julian Savea to collect his side's second try.

Carter's conversion was from the widest possible angle - but he made it look easy.

The destiny of the match was effectively sealed less than two minutes later as the other wing, Cory Jane, skidded over in the corner - Carter again finding the target.

Hooker Andrew Hore was next to break through, taking advantage of slack tackling deep inside the 22-area. Carter kept his perfect conversion tally.

Scott claimed a stoppage time touchdown for the hosts, but the video ref ruled he had not grounded the ball.

But there was still enough time for prop Geoff Cross to burrow over from point-blank range - Laidlaw slotting the kick to slash the gap to 17 points.

Scotland were certainly looking the hungrier outfit and they gave themselves a glimmer of hope with another score.

Great tackling forced the Kiwis to surrender possession close to their line - and Visser was in the right place at the right time to scoop up the ball and finish with ease.

Carter eased any anxiety with his third penalty and after soaking up a pile of Scottish pressure, Savea pounced again at the other end.

Centre Ben Smith added another after slick work by Carter, whose conversion broke the half-century barrier.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-...ng-all-blacks/

It was not pretty, should have been red, don't think he'll play much more this year!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    I am not sure that it is such a big deal - he was just letting him know that he should not be sticking his head on the wrong side of the ruck - no malice

have a look at

It was stupid but not more than a yellow.

'Rugby and sex are the only things you can enjoy without being good at them.' -anonymous

vCash
    Whats with the Scottish jerseys?

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    16.3 RUCKING
    (a) Players in a ruck must endeavour to stay on their feet.
    Penalty: Penalty Kick
    (b) A player must not intentionally fall or kneel in a ruck. This is dangerous play.
    (c) A player must not intentionally collapse a ruck. This is dangerous play.
    (d) A player must not jump on top of a ruck.
    (e) Players must have their heads and shoulders no lower than their hips.
    Penalty: Free Kick
    (f) A player rucking for the ball must not ruck players on the ground. A player rucking for the ball tries to step over players on the ground and must not intentionally step on them. A player rucking must do so near the ball.
    Penalty: Penalty Kick for dangerous play

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    That being anything but malicious is crap. Seeing as he punched him in the head before he put the boot in
    Posted via Mobile Device

Champion
    vCash
    A slight variation on the Glasgow Kiss....

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    It's about the same as what Higginbotham did to McCaw- except you don't hear the Scots whinging about it.

I'd wager on 2 weeks.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    It's about the same as what Higginbotham did to McCaw- except you don't hear the Scots whinging about it.

I'd wager on 2 weeks.
    thats becaust the scots are still men and not a bunch of girls like the wallabies and the kiwis

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Longer than two I think four, the irb will try to set a precedent.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    only a friendly tap;he had a scull cap on--no damage at all

2 weeks to keep the wolves at bay

noticed at a later ruck,sir richie's cranium was exposed on the Scot's side---must have been so tempting

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    thats becaust the scots are still men and not a bunch of girls like the wallabies and the kiwis
    When you grow up playing on school pitches with frozen stud marks from the week before it takes a lot to make you whinge

[Beer & crisps......the pre-season diet of choice

vCash
    Aye, not even haggis can make you whinge....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by normie View Post
    Aye, not even haggis can make you whinge....
    That's because I'm never eating it again.
    Disgusting to eat. And even moreso to make
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    even moreso to make
    Youv'e actually made a haggis, jono? Why FFS?
    Once you had the recipe that should have been that.

Champion
    vCash
    There was absolutely no reason for Thomson to act as he did and then when the incident was replayed on big screen he had a smirk on his face.Hope he's rubbed out for rest of tour.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast