Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Folau to Rugby Union

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zed View Post
    Is he any good, I know nothing about him, except he's Jewish.
    Can't play on Shomer shabbos. He clearly has a sense of humour.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Signed for the Tah's for 250k for 6 months.

Something doesnt sound right there to be honest. The article I was looking at was making noise about the fact that the Tahs were crying poor in their contract negotiations with their other players.

Expect some end of 2013 season dramas in NSW...

Let the force go in 2009

vCash
    how the frak can he sign for six months? That leaves a hole in their roster mid season. Thats BS.

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Code-hopping Israel Folau settles on Waratahs

Stuart Honeysett
    The Australian December 04, 2012 9:12AM

Israel Folau will play his third football code, signing a one-year deal with the NSW Waratahs for the 2013 Super Rugby season.
    Folau said he had endured a tough week before signing the deal with his futre the subject of intense interest since he cut short his multi-million dollar, four-year deal with AFL club Greater Western Sydney on November 1 citing a lack of passion for the game after he struggled to adapt.

Folau, 23, was keen to return to rugby league and was tipped to sign with Parramatta but the deal got bogged down in red tape with salary cap auditor Ian Schubert not prepared to let the deal through for anything less than $400,000.

The former Australian and Queensland State of Origin representative informed the Eels last week that he was pursuing a rugby union career prompting calls from the club that he had used them as part of the bargaining process.

"Obviously it's been a pretty tough for me but today's about the Waratahs and I'm really excited to talk about playing rugby nect season," Folau said.

"There were a number of factors in my decision to join the NSW Waratahs.

"I left GWS because I didn't have the passion for the game because of the timings, I didn't know if I'd get anything.

"I said right from the start that I was keeping my options open because I knew it would be hard for league to accommodate me."

Folau met a number of his new teammates today and said his ambition was to play for Australia.

"I'm really excited by this opportunity and looking forward to having a crack at union," Folau said.

"When I first met (coach) Michael (Cheika) I liked his personality as a person and a coach. We talked about what he wants to do with the team, the style of rugby he wants to play and the quality of the squad that he has, with all the Wallabies guys. That's what got me interested."

The Australian Rugby Union supported the Waratahs’ pursuit of Folau but would not be drawn on its financial commmitment.

Acting CEO Matt Carroll said Folau’s presence in the Waratahs squad in 2013 would provide an exciting addition to the Super Rugby landscape.

“ARU has supported the Waratahs in their recruitment of a player whose profile and natural athleticism has the potential to deliver a further X-factor to the Waratahs next year,” Carroll said.

“Depending on his development as a rugby player, there is an opportunity for Folau to achieve higher honours, in Sevens as well as the 15-a-side game.

“Sevens is now an Olympic sport and we are keen to build depth and profile for the game in the lead-up to Rio in 2016.”

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    "i'm excited by having this opportunity"
    "i want to play for australia"

1 year.....

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingbison View Post
    how the frak can he sign for six months? That leaves a hole in their roster mid season. Thats BS.
    It's a special 'passion' clause. If he or the Warratahs lose passion for each other it leaves him free to try his hand in the A league.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingbison View Post
    That's so he can have time to turn out as Goalie for Sydney FC and open the bowling for Sydney Thunder....

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    and let's not forget the option of skipper for one of the west leederville bowling club's mens wednesday social team

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    I actually think that this is a good thing. They got him on the cheap and at the end of next year if both parties arnt happy they can part ways. Looking at some of his highlight on youtube he could make a very handy 12/15 a position the Wobs are lacking in. Good luck to him.

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GAFFA View Post
    I actually think that this is a good thing. They got him on the cheap and at the end of next year if both parties arnt happy they can part ways. Looking at some of his highlight on youtube he could make a very handy 12/15 a position the Wobs are lacking in. Good luck to him.
    and I agree good luck to him too, and I understand why it is only a year.

I'm just sick off seeing 1 year contracts to just about every man and his dog these days, 2 years at most is becoming quite rare - less than 2 years is becoming the norm and it shits me

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post

The Australian Rugby Union supported the Waratahs’ pursuit of Folau but would not be drawn on its financial commmitment.
    Acting CEO Matt Carroll said Folau’s presence in the Waratahs squad in 2013 would provide an exciting addition to the Super Rugby landscape.

ARU has supported the Waratahs in their recruitment of a player whose profile and natural athleticism has the potential to deliver a further X-factor to the Waratahs next year,” Carroll said.

“Depending on his development as a rugby player, there is an opportunity for Folau to achieve higher honours, in Sevens as well as the 15-a-side game.

“Sevens is now an Olympic sport and we are keen to build depth and profile for the game in the lead-up to Rio in 2016.”
    Sure the Tahs may have got him cheap but we don't know how much the ARU have chipped in to have a win over NRL and AFL, I smell a dirty big rat

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by normie View Post
    It's a special 'passion' clause. If he or the Warratahs lose passion for each other it leaves him free to try his hand in the A league.
    the waratahs have passion to lose?!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
    the waratahs have passion to lose?!
    in spades!

vCash
    Speaking of salary caps and Tahds ...

Did I miss it or are we still waiting to hear which S15 team was the "breacher" in the ARU investigation?

'God invented beer to prevent Props from taking over the world'

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    Speaking of salary caps and Tahds ...

Did I miss it or are we still waiting to hear which S15 team was the "breacher" in the ARU investigation?
    No word as yet. Doubt there ever will be

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast