Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Muds Brumbies 2013 Thread

Champion
    vCash

Christian Lealiifano returns

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    nice to see Lealo back... I wish him well from 2013... Matty Toomua is back also and training the house down... and Robbie Coleman also back training... they'll need them all in 2013

vCash

Thumbs up Muds Brumbies 2013 Thread

Tom Cox finally has the size to match his speed and after a transformation into a ''totally different beast'', the ACT Brumbies believe he's ready to burst into Super Rugby.

A year after starting his Brumbies career as the lightning-quick skinny kid, Cox has added six kilograms to his frame in a bid to prove he can match it with the biggest and most powerful wingers in Super Rugby.

The Brumbies challenged a slight Cox to bulk up in the off-season.

Speed has never been a problem for the former Australian football player. But running into players who were, at times, 30 kilograms heavier was the biggest hurdle for the 24-year-old.

Advertisement
    To combat that, Cox has been eating up to six meals a day and training harder than ever.

He arrived at the Brumbies weighing just 85 kilograms and was capable of running 10 metres a second.

A year later Cox can still run at that rate but now tips the scales at 91 kilograms and is aiming to add two kilograms in the coming months.

It might seem like an extreme transformation.

But Cox admits he needed to change his body to ensure he wouldn't be used as a speed bump when he gets his Super Rugby opportunity.

''When I came down last year my rugby knowledge wasn't up to scratch and in terms of physicality I've put on six kilos and kept my speed,'' Cox said.

''My goal is to get a start for the Brumbies; I just want a crack. I felt underweight last year … with physicality and aggression it's hard when you're up against a 100-kilo winger, so things are easier now.

''I've got the confidence to get out there and put my body on the line.

''You've got to do a lot of eating and a lot of hard work. We get skinfolds measured so you can't just put on bad fat … I struggle to hold weight so you're looking at five to six meals a day and I'm not a big eater.''

His hard work off the field is reaping the rewards at training.

With Henry Speight, Joseph Tomane, Andrew Smith and Clyde Rathbone being eased back after injuries, Cox has taken his opportunity to stand tall.

He got limited opportunities to impress in his first year at the Brumbies.

After playing in the pre-season trial matches, he couldn't force his way into the regular Super Rugby rotation.

But his blistering pace was on display in a midweek tour match against Wales when he tore through some broken defence and left international players grasping for air.

His goal now is to show coach Jake White he can do that every week.

''Coxy is a totally different beast,'' Brumbies backs coach Stephen Larkham said.

''His communication and understanding of rugby has gone through the roof; he's one of our best trainers.

''He's got a bit more aggression to his game now. There's going to be a lot of competition in the wing position and Coxy has the jump on a lot of guys who are coming back from injuries. ''

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugb...#ixzz2Cz9JQ6Hh

vCash

Thumbs up Brumbies playmakers fight for spot

Matt Toomua puts in the hard yards during the Brumbies' pre-season. Photo:

HE ALMOST made a Super Rugby comeback to be the ACT Brumbies five-eighth saviour but Stephen Larkham has backed the team's playmakers to end the club's finals drought next season.

The only problem is he admits the back line combinations are already giving him a headache with the start of the 2013 campaign still three months away.

Injuries forced the Brumbies to use three different flyhalves last season.

Matt Toomua started the season as the first-choice playmaker.

Advertisement
    When he ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament, Christian Lealiifano stepped in as the No.10.

When Lealiifano dislocated his ankle, it was Zack Holmes who guided the team through the rest of the season.

Brumbies coach Jake White tried to coax Larkham out of retirement to boost the playmaker ranks.

But the playmaker declined and while he concedes ''someone will miss out'', Toomua, Lealiifano and Holmes will all get their chances to impress and stake their claim.

''If you put Christian at No. 10, where do you put Matt Toomua? Because Matt played exceptionally well for us,'' Larkham said.

''I liked the combination of Matt at flyhalf and Christian at inside centre, but then where do you put [Wallabies inside centre] Pat McCabe?

''It's a headache we're going to have. In a perfect world no one will be injured and someone will have to miss out between the regulars of last season. But at the moment, who knows what the back line is going to look like?''

Larkham, Holmes and prop Scott Sio were at the Lyneham Tennis Centre yesterday for the Canberra Velocity's first home round of the Asia-Pacific Tennis League.

The Brumbies will be boosted at training this week with Lealiifano, Joseph Tomane, Andrew Smith and Henry Speight set to rejoin the team.

The quartet are returning from injuries and Larkham has been using players from Canberra's first-grade competition to fill in the gaps.

Toomua (knee) and Lealiifano (ankle) were standouts at flyhalf last season. Despite missing the second half of the season, Lealiifano's form was so good he almost won Australia's player of the year award.

But in their absence, Holmes stood tall and he led the team to within one game of the finals.

The young playmaker has returned fitter and stronger for his second Super Rugby campaign and ready to take on extra responsibility.

''I feel a lot more confident in my game and have a better understanding of what I need to do and be able to drive what happens in a game and at training,'' he said.

''I think we're in a lot better position than last year … it's going to be good and we're going to have to work harder.

''We've got the versatility to cover different positions, but if you ask any of us we'll all say we want to play in the No.10 jersey.''

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugb...#ixzz2Cz9t5a1s

vCash

Lightbulb Swanepoel out to show Brumbies he's No.1 of No.9s

Brumbies player Mark Swanepoel at training at Brumbies HQ. Photo: Melissa Adams
    After a frustrating year with the Canterbury Crusaders, halfback Mark Swanepoel is determined to make the ACT Brumbies No.9 jersey his own.

The member of the Brumbies' extended playing squad knows he has a challenge ahead of him.

Nic White had a breakout year that resulted in selection for Robbie Deans' Wallabies squad for the series against Wales and Scotland.

While he did not make his debut, he was clearly in the national team's plans before he underwent surgery on a troublesome shoulder.

Advertisement
    He is now racing to be fit for the start of the Super Rugby season.

Despite his standout season, White still enjoyed a tough duel with Ian Prior for the Brumbies job. Now Swanepoel is throwing his hat in the ring as well.

''I came here to play and I'm going to work as hard as I can and do everything that I can to play and to start,'' Swanepoel said on Tuesday.

''That's why I'm here. [White and Prior are] good players and by no means will it be handed to anyone.

''[Brumbies coach] Jake [White]'s pretty adamant the best player will play and whoever works the hardest and proves themselves will be selected at halfback.''

Both his name and birth certificate suggest a South African heritage - the 22-year-old moved to the Gold Coast when he was 11 but any trace of a South African accent has been replaced by an Aussie one.

He represented Australia in schoolboys rugby and in the under-20s team, and has four Super Rugby caps, all with the Western Force.

Swanepoel then joined Canterbury for the ITM Cup and won a contract with the Crusaders for 2012.

But he was stuck behind Andrew Ellis and jumped at the chance to join Jake White's Brumbies. It has made him hungry to play every week.

''I was with Canterbury again this year but I didn't get to play because Andy Ellis didn't make the All Blacks, and then an opportunity came up here,'' Swanepoel said.

The squad has developed a distinct South African flavour. Jake White, Swanepoel, comeback kid Clyde Rathbone, prop Ruan Smith, lock Etienne Oosthuizen and centre Stephan Van Der Walt are all from the land of the Springbok.

The large number of Pacific Islanders at the Brumbies have formed a group known as ''The Community'' - and a smaller South African version seems to have sprung up as well.

''There's a bit of Afrikaans going around and we're going to have a braai [barbecue] on Friday night,'' Van Der Walt said.

He migrated from South Africa to Queensland about the same time Rathbone arrived in Australia.

Now Van Der Walt's a squad member alongside Rathbone.

Brumbies backs coach Steve Larkham said the pair's playing styles were similar - they preferred to run over the top of opponents rather than waste time going around them.

The 21-year-old member of the extended playing squad has set a more modest goal than Swanepoel of simply making his Super Rugby debut next year.

''I remember seeing [Rathbone] on TV when we first moved over here - it was about the same time he moved over here,'' Van Der Walt said.

''I remember seeing him on TV and saying how he was loving it in Australia and loved to play for Australia and I was the same.

''I'd love to represent Australia, it's been a dream, and I definitely look up to him.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/un...#ixzz2CzAIPLKu

vCash
    Nek minit twf turns into a brumbie supporter forum
    Come muddy only one alien thread per day is enough
    Posted via Mobile Device

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    sorted

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Senior Player Contributor Cowboy's Avatar
    vCash
    Tom Cox needs to work on his form on the rowing erg

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    sorted
    thanks Happy... I needed a PA...

vCash
    hearing good things about Mark Swanepoel... brumbies got more South Africans than Perth... and there all welcome ...

vCash
    They must be from Jo'burg- they love the thinner oxygen up there.

vCash
    chock full of roids

I see Lance Armstrong wasn't unemployed for long

Controversy corner

vCash

Thumbs up Brumbies unveil new strip for 2013

The ACT Brumbies have unveiled their new strip for the 2013 Super Rugby season with a new logo to celebrate Canberra's 100th birthday.

The centenary logo replaces the traditional ACT Coat of Arms on the right breast of the Brumbies' jersey.

Toomua and Lealiifano in 2013 Brumbies strip...

And in another new twist to the playing gear, the alternate strip features white shorts opposed to the traditional navy blue seen on the field in the past.

The Brumbies' 2013 kit pays tribute to Canberra's centenary.

Being able to unveil the strip three months before the start of the season is a major turnaround from 12 months ago.

The Brumbies remained unsure who there major sponsor would be for the 2012 season and had to delay revealing their new jerseys until a few weeks before the campaign started.

But with the University of Canberra still on board as the major partner, the Brumbies have also linked with Land Rover in a two-year partnership as the club's sleeve sponsor.

Matt Toomua in new Brumbies strip 2013.

The Brumbies will begin their second season under coach Jake White against the Queensland Reds at Canberra Stadium on February 16.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-...#ixzz2DVtrKDWU

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Messup View Post
    chock full of roids

I see Lance Armstrong wasn't unemployed for long
    aarrrr... the South African pharmacist said they were herbal....

vCash
    Parsley?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast