James Mortimer 19-Nov-2012

Daryl Gibson will join the Waratahs coaching team next season, working alongside head coach Michael Cheika and assistant coach Alan Gaffney.

The former All Black centre and Crusaders’ assistant coach brings a wealth of international coaching and playing experience.

Currently touring Europe with the Maori All Blacks, Gibson helped guide the Crusaders to the 2011 Super Rugby final, securing semi finals places in 2009, 2010 and 2012, having previously won four titles as a player.

Announcing his appointment today, Cheika said that Gibson would bring more than just his coaching experience to the HSBC Waratahs.

“Daryl is the guy who most fitted the vision we have for the team and for NSW rugby,” said Cheika.

“The new values that we are setting down he believes in already and that was the first thing we considered.

“To enact the change we want to make here, we need to change everything. I wanted someone fresh. Someone that guys here haven’t had much to do with or been coached by. We need to change the voices, change the approach.

“Daryl has excellent skills in the areas we wish to improve, in the continuity of attack and around the ruck.

“He has great experience of Super Rugby and in that sense his experience is a good complement for mine and Alan’s.

“He also has a very rounded approach to the game, having coached in Super Rugby and in the UK and against teams from Australia, South Africa, New Zealand and all over Europe. He’s been a successful player and a coach at that level.”

Speaking from the Maori All Blacks’ camp in England, Gibson described the chance to join the HSBC Waratahs as a fantastic opportunity.

“I was attracted to the role by Michael Cheika’s vision for the team,” he said.
“His passion and commitment to turning the Waratahs into a winning team made it an easy choice. When you get a group of people committed to being better everyday then winning becomes a by product.

“The Waratahs underperformed last season and I know from Michael that the players are working very hard at the moment so they can earn the respect of fans and become a team that the people of NSW will be proud of and want to come and see.

“We need to reconnect with the people of NSW, to create a deep connection with our community, where fans feel engaged with the team and proud of our performances every week. It’s a fantastic challenge and I wouldn’t be shifting my family to Australia if I did not believe in the people charged with that responsibility.

“Michael Cheika and Alan Gaffney have a wealth of rugby experience and I’m sure I am going to learn plenty from them and also add in my way to the coaching staff.”

Gibson will join the HSBC Waratahs’ pre-season preparations early next month. He will assume responsibility for the team’s attacking skills and continuity play, with Alan Gaffney taking charge of attack from set plays. As well as working with the forwards, Michael Cheika will manage the team’s defence.

http://www.allblacks.com/news/21113/...s-attack-coach