Thread: Academy train with Force

vCash

Academy train with Force

The Emirates Western Force has integrated 10 members of RugbyWA’s Bankwest Academy and Pindan Premier Grade into their pre-season training season ahead of the 2013 Super Rugby season.

Ollie Hoskins (prop – Cottesloe), Ryan Louwrens (scrumhalf – Cottesloe), Richard Hardwick (flanker – UWA), Bruce Smith-Wright (lock – UWA), Corey Thomas (lock – UWA), Nick Haining (utility – Cottesloe), Brendan Lacey (wing – Wests Scarborough), Luke Burton (flyhalf – UWA), Ryan McLeod (centre – Nedlands) and Vincent Silulu (centre/wing – Wests Scarborough) have all been invited to train with the Super Rugby side.

The invitation presents an opportunity for local players to get an understanding and appreciation for training in an elite professional program and is another key function in RugbyWA’s elite rugby player pathway.

Haining has been playing rugby with Cottesloe Rugby Club since he was seven and has been asked to join the Emirates Western Force pre-season training for a second year running.

It was a stellar season for the 22-year-old culminating with his 2012 PG Hampshire Award win for the fairest and best player in the Pindan Premier Grade.

“It’s been one of my best years for rugby and I think coming off training with the Force really helped me in taking out the PG Hampshire Award which was a real honour,” he said.

“I probably wouldn’t even have been in contention without the additional training; it gave me that experience at a higher level which was good for me.

“I’m really happy to have the opportunity again in 2013 and it’s been really good; it betters your rugby and gives you that next level of experience which you need.”

Haining has played most of his rugby in the back row but this year has changed to play in the backs.

“I’d spoken to [RugbyWA Junior Elite Coach] Dwayne [Nestor] as well as Mick [Foley] and Phil Fowler about the change and they have been very encouraging,” he said.

“I’m really enjoying the structure of training. Mick’s doing a really good job with everyone. We’re getting clear instructions, everything’s planned out really well and I’m just enjoying the sessions.”

“I have pulled up a bit sore every now and then because of the increased load of training but the coaches and the strength and conditioning staff have been managing us really well and if you do the correct recovery the body pulls up much better.”

Lock Corey Thomas was selected in the Australian Schoolboys side in 2011 and has drawn from this experience in his time with the Emirates Western Force.

“I had a bit of a taste of it at Aussie Schoolboys when we were training two-to-three training sessions a day, five days straight so by the end of the week we were exhausted - so coming into Force training sessions I had some idea of what it was going to be like,” said Thomas.

“Training with the Force has been really good; I feel really comfortable with the staff and players and we’ve been welcomed into the team.

“I’ve been learning a lot and trying my hardest but if there is something I’m not good at then I know that I have to work on it to get to the level expected of me.”

Forwards Coach Nick Stiles said that while it is beneficial to have the extra numbers on the field in training, the main goal of the program is to develop the local talent.

“It is great for the club because it allows us to run more effective drills and plays with the extra numbers and obviously it gives them the opportunity to build on their skills and experience life in the professional environment,” Stiles said.

“Ryan Hodson and Jake Ball were both local players who trained with us in the 2012 pre-season and Ryan went on to play a couple of games for the Rebels and Jake has been offered a contract to play in the UK so it is a good opportunity for the WA players.

“We want to be able to develop the local rugby talent here in WA and these players have been identified through the Bankwest Academy and in club rugby as having the potential to take their rugby to the next level.

“Nick Haining is a good example of this as he trained with us last year and had a standout season for his club and winning the PG Hampshire Award.”

The players take part in training sessions with the Emirates Western Force squad on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays while still training with the Bankwest Academy and their local clubs.

http://www.westernforce.com.au/NewsE...3/Default.aspx

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    “Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

Rookie
    vCash
    Hey could someone give me the ages of the Academy players

vCash
    Suspiciously, all come from western suburbs clubs I see..conspiracy theories will abound!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Unfortunately almost impossible for young guys who live in places like Rocky, Mandurah, Kala to make academy training 4 or 5 times a week at rugby wa so naturally the academy is made up of western suburbs players. No conspiracy, just the realities of life.

Haining should be given top marks for staying with the same club all his playing days (even though he chose the worst club I can imagine).

Thomas has floated between various clubs and has joined the gang of disloyal gypsies that seem to make up modern rugby.

Champion
    vCash
    Can someone tell me also, whats the go with Caleb Brown ?? and Peter Hynes, are they here for a holiday to help out or are they going to be signed somewhere within the Western Force Squad ?

vCash
    they are both being trailed with the view to be the last EPS signing.

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    Can someone tell me also, whats the go with Caleb Brown ?? and Peter Hynes, are they here for a holiday to help out or are they going to be signed somewhere within the Western Force Squad ?
    Or you could call them the next "Beau Robinson's", remember he didn't have a Reds contract but trained with them while pulling beers at the local, then got a call up due to injury which lead to a contract because he played more than three S15 matches

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    With the impending move to Bennet Park Double View are Wests Subiaco now call Wests Scarborough? I noticed reference to this next to a couple of the Academy Players names.

Together Strong, we play it hard. We'll make you earn every yard.
    We'll never quit, lay down or die. So bring it on and watch us fly.
    We Are The Brothers!

Internet Troll
    I am an Internet Troll
    Please ignore my posts

vCash
    Yeah baby

Champion
    vCash
    My avatar may be a dead giveaway ,Yeah baby are you really stuck in the sixties

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GAFFA View Post

Haining has played most of his rugby in the back row but this year has changed to play in the backs.
    Big call for the PG Hampshire winner to be changing positions. So what will he be playing as? I am guessing 12 or 13?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha Handy View Post
    Big call for the PG Hampshire winner to be changing positions. So what will he be playing as? I am guessing 12 or 13?
    Anybody got some stats/observations? Whats he built like, speed, passing ability, reading the play etc. And more to the point, does anybody with local knowledge think any of the academt have any chance whatsoever of making the EPS one day?

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

Champion
    vCash
    Vinnie Silulu has a league background and from what I hear was very close to making the bigtime in Brisbane.Very talented,good defence,great speed and big physique but has little knowledge of union.If he's mentored properly he has the raw talent to play at a higher level.Has a bloody great attitude to go with it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingbison View Post
    Anybody got some stats/observations? Whats he built like, speed, passing ability, reading the play etc. And more to the point, does anybody with local knowledge think any of the academt have any chance whatsoever of making the EPS one day?
    Nick "Spoons" Hanning is 6'4" and 104kg, good skills and usually scores on the wing. Tall rangy bloke that for some reason is neigh on impossible to tackle. I saw him at the Singapore Sevens and he was built for open field work. It is a big call for him to change I agree... ballsy but it might help him.

The the rest of the academy I think that this year's intake looks very promising. A couple of Australian U20s and Schoolboys, some with Shute Shield experience.. Good luck to them all.

'Rugby and sex are the only things you can enjoy without being good at them.' -anonymous