Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Junior Rugby 2013

Apprentice
    vCash

Junior Rugby 2013

I was wondering if anyone had heard anything regarding fixtures next season.There were rumblings last year that due to cost to WAJRU and the distance travelled by newer clubs ,two teams would play each other right through the age groups from 6 -16's with each club getting to host games every other week home and away.
    This would create good revenue for clubs and take away the cost of ground rental for rugby WA and stop the problem of siblings being at different Saturday morning venues as governed by age groups.
    In my opinion it would be great to match juniors with their senior fixtures opposition making a full day at the club bringing all the age groups together.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Its a nice idea but most clubs do not have a full range of age teams so there will still be some other teams to fill those spots and you end up with the same issues.

'Rugby and sex are the only things you can enjoy without being good at them.' -anonymous

Apprentice
    vCash
    Most clubs do have a full range of players now with only a couple of teams in the comp being short of age groups i'm not sure but i think cott and Neddies . It seems a bit unfair that just because a couple of teams cant raise age groups everyone has to lose out . How about not letting teams in who cant raise junior teams through out the age groups allowing players to go to more structured junior clubs or even amalgamating clubs at junior level who cant get children to play for them unless the child reaches sixteen yeard of age.

Apprentice
    vCash
    That's actually a very good idea and worthy of exploration I think
    Posted via Mobile Device

Senior Player
    vCash
    What a load of Polony!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fair Play View Post
    Most clubs do have a full range of players now with only a couple of teams in the comp being short of age groups i'm not sure but i think cott and Neddies . It seems a bit unfair that just because a couple of teams cant raise age groups everyone has to lose out . How about not letting teams in who cant raise junior teams through out the age groups allowing players to go to more structured junior clubs or even amalgamating clubs at junior level who cant get children to play for them unless the child reaches sixteen yeard of age.
    Lots of clubs do have teams in all age groups yes. But what you have to understand is not all the teams play in the same divisions. So it will never work.

As for the rest of what you said...crap
    Posted via Mobile Device

Apprentice
    vCash
    Ouch Gaffa ,It will never work , nothing can ever change ever. I thought something like Cottlands juniors perhaps

Apprentice
    vCash
    Sometimes in life uncomfortable issues have to be confronted and addressed and maybe Fair Play and hit on one such "sacred cow" and Polonius is right in exploring the situation further
    Maybe why GAFFA is a bit touchy is the name suggested by Fair Play - perhaps something more befitting would the "Purple Circle Barbarians"

vCash
    Nothing uncomfortable about the issue from me. It just wont work nor is it a good idea to kick teams out of the comp due to number restrictions.

Fairplay pointed out that most if not all clubs now have a full quota of teams. Which would mean that clubs are able to have a home and away type comp as it is with the senior comp.

This is all well and good if it was that simple. Yes most clubs have a full quota of teams but not all teams play in the same Division so the above idea will not work. Unless your happy for teams to be smashed by 100 points every other week by a team who is from a higher div.

To then suggest that if you can’t fill a full quota of teams you should bugger off is just small minded and to suggest that I am against change or uncomfortable about this issue is just wrong. To tell clubs this and make players go to a "more structured junior clubs" is just backwards thinking.

Why would you want to kill off clubs and restrict the growth of the game in WA?

People are always bleeping on about how smaller clubs should fold and let the big clubs have all the players, this is just silly as is the direct opposite where the smaller clubs complain when there 18 year old player moves to a premier club and then accuse those clubs of "poaching" or "stealing" what is theirs.

When it comes to senior grade rugby I think we should take a page out of the AFL book with regards to local footy and the WAFL.

There are hundreds of junior clubs with not all having team in all comps or Division nor do they all have senior teams. But the small club is happy for their players to move on once they reach the peak of that clubs teams and not hold them back to play 3rd or 4th grade but to promote them to play senior top grade at one of the WAFL teams.

Nor does the WAFL clubs complain about all the smaller teams holding on to their players at junior level and if they cant compete in all grade then they should bugger off because they understand that a bigger range of teams in a lot of areas helps in the development of these players as well as providing them with the skills to make the step up.

So I put it to you Fairplay and Dizzy Rascal, yes it is a good idea but a flawed one, and you suggestion to kick clubs out who cant comply with your restrictions will ultimately restrict the growth of Rugby in WA.

Is this something you want?

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    Agree with Gaffa. We need to encourage as many teams and junior players as possible to be active in the sport including the reffing. The current method is having centralised junior venues allows clubs who do not have a full suite of teams and those that have more teams that one in each division, to participate regardless. Ultimately this is what Junior rugby is about, not worrying about Mummy missing a hair appointment. After running three kids around to Britannia, school sport and non rugby every Saturday morning for more years that I can remember, I can relate that it is a pain but trust me, when it is over and they are gone..... Saturday mornings are boring as bat poo.

'Rugby and sex are the only things you can enjoy without being good at them.' -anonymous

Apprentice
    vCash
    Firstly Gaffa thats a great reply and this is an issue we need to do something with ,i dont agree with some of your points but the issues i dont agree with i would never write off as crap or palony i like to think of myself as a bit bigger than that .
    I am well aware of the junior structure in WA not sure if you are? . The under sixes to tens all play in the same divisions they all take up plenty of pitch room on a Saturday and so they should . So for starters how hard would it be for these to play before each senior game as curtainn raisers with the younger boys matching their senior club fixtures , not hard atall ,freeing up pitch space straight away and parents not having to be at the ground with six year old at seven thirty in the morning . I am sure older grades could come to some sort of solution if some one would or could take the time.
    Secondly try having players train twice a week and turn up for a game on a Saturday to be met by one of "the big clubs' with an oposition team of eight players looking at you,this is a team that should be playing on a full size pitch , wheres the developement in that for either team .But rather than swallow some old pride and join smaller team groups together these teams stick at it just so it is seen that they have age group teams on paper, this has nothing to do with developement.
    The junior clubs that children leave in AFL do not have senior clubs the senior clubs do not have junior teams all junior teams feed their WAFL districts so i dont understand you arguement there, albeit justification of stealing children from other rugby clubs who have spent time money and effort into raising players to enter into their senior ranks.I am totaly one hundred per cent into developement of children and my intrest lies there so while you squable about the first grade and why we are short of players look how the juniors are treated for that is the future of the game and if we keep cramming kids onto stamp size pitches week in and week out and in some cases the totaly wrong size pitches(as to the path way states) unmarked pitches where kicking and scrums and lineout have been introduced we will always be asking ourselves why are we behind the other states.
    I am sure you will be aware and agree GAFFA that only an idiot keeps repeating the same actions over and over , or in this case year in year out and hopes for a different outcome so rugby at grass roots has to be improved and pitches are an issue , along with meaningful competition from all ages from when contact is introduced .
    RumourMonger the fact that its not bitching about clubs or spreading rubbish on individuals and you not being able to offer any positives i accept your input for what is is.

vCash
    “Firstly Gaffa thats a great reply and this is an issue we need to do something with ,i dont agree with some of your points but the issues i dont agree with i would never write off as crap or palony i like to think of myself as a bit bigger than that .”

Fair Call

I am well aware of the junior structure in WA not sure if you are? . The under sixes to tens all play in the same divisions they all take up plenty of pitch room on a Saturday and so they should . So for starters how hard would it be for these to play before each senior game as curtainn raisers with the younger boys matching their senior club fixtures , not hard atall ,freeing up pitch space straight away and parents not having to be at the ground with six year old at seven thirty in the morning . I am sure older grades could come to some sort of solution if some one would or could take the time.

I am well aware of how the junior structure works in WA from being a Junior player, Ref and now Coach.
    While this is a good idea you still have issues. The earliest Senior Team game which is Under 18’s Colts Starts at 11:30AM, This means that you would prob have to starts the Juniors game at 10:30 at the latest so they can then clear the fields ready for the Senior game. One of the best things about the current structure as Dinky has pointed out is that Mum and Dad can go to one ground and watch all their kids play without having to run around like headless chooks trying to get them all to their games.
    This is already an issue among parents with more than 1 child when there is a home carnival and/or junior carnival which happens 3-4 times a season and most of the time a fair drive for most to Rockingham and/or Joondalup.
    Again the idea is all well and good for the U6’s to U10’s where there in no division difference between players. But what do you do for the older age groups? This structure ensures players aren’t turned away from the game as a result of losing each week. NO all clubs have a team in EVERY division so again you will be sending different teams all over the place so that you can have a home and away comp.
    To say to the clubs that you must have a Gold team in every grade is unrealistic as all players develop at different speeds which is why the current structure works.

Secondly try having players train twice a week and turn up for a game on a Saturday to be met by one of "the big clubs' with an oposition team of eight players looking at you,this is a team that should be playing on a full size pitch , wheres the developement in that for either team .But rather than swallow some old pride and join smaller team groups together these teams stick at it just so it is seen that they have age group teams on paper, this has nothing to do with developement.

This happened to a team I coached this year. There wasn’t 8 players on the other team they had 14.(and yes it was one of the big clubs). The reason was not due to lack of players but that the game was a home carnival for our team. Out team played in Div 2 the other team also has a competitive Gold team who were playing at the exact same time on the other side of the city so the players who would usually play 2 games or back up and sit on the bench couldn’t. Another issue you will have to look at with clubs who have more that 1 team in an age group.Do clubs then turn away players because they have a full 22 roster? Making the players go to another team or even worse leave the game?

The junior clubs that children leave in AFL do not have senior clubs the senior clubs do not have junior teams all junior teams feed their WAFL districts so i dont understand you arguement there, albeit justification of stealing children from other rugby clubs who have spent time money and effort into raising players to enter into their senior ranks.

PMy point about the AFL system was that no every club can have a Premier grade team with. As a junior I played for one of the Mino Clubs some years we didn’t have enough players so our coach would pick us up at our home field and drive us to the other club. One year is was Kala the next Baysie and then ARKS. I played my way up through junior and when I got to year 12 I had to make a choice. I loved playing rugby but my club didn’t have a colts team. I didn’t want to give the game up and I also didn’t want to play 3rd grade Blue with all the old boys at my club. So I make the move to one of the Premier clubs so I could continue to go up the grades. Do you blame me? Do you blame Baysie the team I went to play for? Are they then accused of poaching/stealing from other clubs?
    Not all clubs have aspiration of getting into the Prems unlike the likes of Joondalup and I welcome them if they get there and hope they do well but it doesn’t help anyone trying to blame each other for stealing or poaching their players. Lets remember these boys have brains and are able to make there own choices and who are we as club members to say “No we developed you we now own you” when the opportunity’s are not there. Hench the reverence to AFL where this issue doesn’t exist.

i am totaly one hundred per cent into developement of children and my intrest lies there so while you squable about the first grade and why we are short of players look how the juniors are treated for that is the future of the game and if we keep cramming kids onto stamp size pitches week in and week out and in some cases the totaly wrong size pitches(as to the path way states) unmarked pitches where kicking and scrums and lineout have been introduced we will always be asking ourselves why are we behind the other states.

Im not quite sure what you talking here about the pitch sizes being wrong. Nor have I ever played or any of the teams I have been involved in played on an unmarked pitch. Rugby WA and the team at Britannia do a great job making sure all the fields are ready to go.

I am sure you will be aware and agree GAFFA that only an idiot keeps repeating the same actions over and over , or in this case year in year out and hopes for a different outcome so rugby at grass roots has to be improved and pitches are an issue , along with meaningful competition from all ages from when contact is introduced .

Im just not sure what it is you are trying to do? First off you state that teams should have to have a full quota of ages group teams (an old Big club claim) and If they don’t then they should man up and move on and let the others take over. Then you claim that junior development is you main interest yet the above is in direct opposite to that by reducing the number of clubs as well as having a shot a the Premier clubs for poaching?
    Will we not get more players involved if we don’t limit our range of where the next generation of players comes from?

RumourMonger the fact that its not bitching about clubs or spreading rubbish on individuals and you not being able to offer any positives i acpcept your input for what is is.

Speaks for itself.

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Please stop stroking each others you know whats about things you know sod all about.

Most of the above is hot air and full of inaccuracies; albeit well-meaning but quite frankly garbage.

Why don't you leave the junior competion structure to the people in the know and don't worry your little brains about such matters? None of you have any influence over how the competition is or will be run so pull your heads in.

I'm cheesed off I spent time reading it.

Apprentice
    vCash
    Bet your half time team talks are good GAFFA

Senior Player
    vCash
    As I said, "stroking"!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast