Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Pirates sunk

Champion
    vCash
    the NSWRL Cup is the reserve grade for NRL.. if they can be competitive in the 1st 2 or 3 years and then years 4 and 5 may have the NRL Clubs and ARLCommission standing up to take notice.

In RL Circles we are the best team outside the two metro leagues of NSW and QLD, beaten VIC, NSW Country, NT, SA and came 3rd in the recent invitational competition in New Zealand. I see we have the depth to have both codes running side by side...

Why not have a pre-season game against a low drawing crowd for the Force and then the pregame a game of the Pirates vs someone... RL dont get any more than 3000 to the old WA Reds when they were in the QRL competition and thats why WARL have the games now being played in the suburbian grounds. (just my 2 cents worth)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash

Western Australia a candidate for new NRL club

WESTERN Australia has renewed hope it can win an NRL franchise in the "medium term'' after the league yesterday announced it would review its stance on expansion at the end of the 2014 season.
    Australian Rugby League chairman John Grant said yesterday during a visit to Perth it was ``highly unlikely'' the NRL would not become an 18-team competition and asked WA fans to be patient.

``It is highly unlikely that given the growth aspirations we've got for the game in the next five years, that we won't have a sufficient base and momentum to create new NRL clubs,'' he said.

``We have to go through the right process to do that. This is not a five-year, ten-year decision, this is a 20, 30, 40-year decision. It has got to be right.

``We are playing a long-term game here. What I would say to the supporters of rugby league here and the people that got behind the proposal that did come forward, is it is a long-term play. We want you to stay involved and let's

just see where the next step takes us.

``You didn't lose.

``Now it is an opportunity for WA to put the facts in front of me to make us more aware of the WA situation and will continue to work on that together.''

Grant confirmed the NRL was looking at playing three games in Perth next season.

It is believed two of those will be twilight games on Sundays, allowing the games to be televised live back to the eastern States on Sunday nights.

South Sydney is locked in, possibly against the Warriors in early July in the middle of the State-of-Origin series when the momentum around the code is at fever pitch.

Penrith is also believed to be keen on a clash with reigning champion Melbourne Storm and there is speculation surrounding the Canberra Raiders playing a game.

The Panthers will meet with WARL officials and NRL director commercial and marketing Paul Kind on November 8.

``We'll bring three NRL fixtures here this year,'' Grant said.

``Clearly WA is on our agenda and probably more so than it has been in the past in terms of that degree of involvement.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...compact+bi_rss

Player
    vCash
    I loath rugby league. The damage the Western Reds caused Rugby Union in this state was appalling. I hate them. Well named as Mongrels.

vCash
    Well apart from the demise of the Reds doing damage to Rugby League in this state

This isn't a troll as I wasn't in WA at the time but what damage did they do to Rugby Union in WA?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    The comments from the plebs, oh the Force are going to go the same as the Western Reds.

??

How many times have we heard that?

Player
    vCash
    What did they do.....
    1. Targeted union players to build grassroots league. One Perth Union Club had over 50 players poached by league and lost 9 of their 1st Grade to League. Did things like attending Union Clubs training and tried signing up players on the paddock before training and later in the Union Clubs clubrooms.
    2. Targetted State Juniors and gave them scholarships to "League" schools. Very damaging as the "pied piper" type players then took their mates with them causing Union Clubs to struggle.
    3. Cherry picked players from Perth Union Clubs for the Reds development squads.
    This year with the chance of league getting started again....
    1. Targetted one Union Club and offered them $250,000 to change over to League in order to get hold of their grounds and facilities.
    2. Targetted Union players at State 16s through Under 20s for elite League squads and then trained them on Union Club grounds.
    3. Attempted to book Union Clubs grounds and effectively exclude long standing Union Clubs from their own grounds and clubrooms.

Champion
    vCash
    1. Targetted one Union Club and offered them $250,000 to change over to League in order to get hold of their grounds and facilities.
    2. Targetted Union players at State 16s through Under 20s for elite League squads and then trained them on Union Club grounds.
    3. Attempted to book Union Clubs grounds and effectively exclude long standing Union Clubs from their own grounds and clubrooms.

Interesting. Any proof you can share with us. Want to name names.

Player
    vCash
    Dear Wholetruth,
    1. I met the man who made the $250K offer. The person to whom it was made also told me about it. The Club concerned has made no secret of it. Not a direct approach from WARL, but from a sponsor involved in the WA bid for League.
    2. I watched the League squad training while at a Union club and listened to the club guys expressing their frustration and disgust that their fields were being used and it had got through the bookings system because they thought it was the Union guys making a booking and did'nt realise it was League. Various players in the squad were pointed out as Union juniors.
    3. The grounds booking business was pre-season this year, the Pres and senior club guys made no secret of it. It was picked up by the Council recreation dept who thought they should check with the Union Club before accepting the booking.

Last edited by Political BS; 02-11-12 at 07:29. Reason: For clarity

Veteran
    vCash
    Yeah, i also saw the reds guys training at Curtin, and the Curtin guys had to wait until they finished before they could use their whole ground.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political BS View Post
    I loath rugby league.
    I love it. And I love Rugby just ad much. All's fair in love and war. Cry me a river you tosser.

vCash
    Tin foil hat?

Player
    vCash
    Thanks for your comments guys.

Senior Player Contributor Cowboy's Avatar
    vCash
    If all is fair in love and war, and it's a war. Then hating, loathing, etc is also acceptable. Everything short of acts of terror is fair play. Actually if you end up the winner and get to write history terrorism gets to be re-branded as heroic resistance in the name of freedom, just ask Israel and the USA.

vCash
    What is the issue with RL guys training on council grounds if they have made a booking in the appropriate manner (it is my understanding that they are council grounds). These venues are provided for all to use and not be allocated to one particular sporting group ala Gaufl.
    I also enjoyed going down to the WACA and watcing the Western Reds against the Eastern staes visitors, it is just a pity that the whole thing went belly up because of issue outside of league.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2