Thread: ARU Board approves Australasian Provincial Competition for 2006

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Talking ARU Board approves Australasian Provincial Competition for 2006

The Board of the Australian Rugby Union has approved the establishment of an Australasian Provincial Competition (APC) to begin next year.

The inaugural competition will consist of Australia's four Tooheys New Super 14 teams playing in a home and away series with a Final in a five week June/July window from 2006.

The official sign off follows a meeting of State CEO's earlier this week in which it was agreed that a professional competition bridging Premier Rugby and Super 14 was vital to the high performance requirements of Australia's Super 14 teams and the Wallabies.

ARU Chairman Dilip Kumar says there is now widespread support for the APC in this format with the potential for expansion in the future.

"From the ARU's perspective, we have taken a vital step for the game in Australia. We are engaged in very positive discussions with our Member Unions and the strong sense that we have a golden opportunity here is appreciated by everyone."

ARU Managing Director Gary Flowers says a feasibility study will be conducted into the possibility of expanding the APC into a broader competition in the future.

"We will consult with all our stakeholders in carrying out a thorough feasibility assessment and risk analysis.

"There is the further potential for two Japanese teams to join the competition in the future and perhaps play some non competition games next year."

Mr Flowers stressed the title Australasian Provincial Competition (APC) is a working title only which is likely to change before the competition begins next year.

"Most importantly, there will now be more high quality Rugby for our professional players not involved in the Wallaby squad following the completion of the Super 14 season. This will also be a direct pathway for club players through to the national team."

Mr Flowers said the competition will be carefully managed to minimise impacts on club Rugby.

"We believe these extra high quality matches will provide a boost for clubs because of the number of players who will benefit from performance at the higher level.

"A significant amount of work has gone into developing the APC concept from a commercial, high performance and logistical perspective. Now the Board has signed off, we can begin more detailed work in conjunction with the Super 14 Unions.

Source: http: //www.heavensgame.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=445&Itemid=50

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Darren; 27-09-05 at 23:25.

Do you know if the Western Force Membership covers these games?

If so, they won't be able to hold them at Subi and can you imagine 10K + rocking up to Rugby Park. Will ME be available then?

If the Town of Cambridge ever pulls its head out of it's A there might be some progress at AK reserve, but not in time for this obviously.

vCash
    Good question - I would doubt that RugbyWA have made a decision yet.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Possibly they will hold them at Members Equity with Force Members getting first pick of the seats?
    I'd like to be more optimistic but I doubt that they'll get many more than 8-10k to these matches, if that even.
    Hopefully Fox will telecast them anyway.
    Having said that I do fully support the concept as a stepping stone to a bigger comp.
    As you say Chief, I doubt they've planned that far ahead as yet.
    I think they need to decide if they want the comp to be the begining of the new season or the end of the old one in respct to the International cycle,ie '08 APC is to blood new talent for '09 S14 and '10 Wallabies OR '08 APC is to offer more depth for '08 Spring Tour.
    It will be messy for the first couple of years due to the '07 RWC but should settle into a pattern from '08 I would think.

vCash
    I would think that the Force memberships do not cover the APC games - I would hope though that RugbyWA capitalise on the Super 14's members by offering half price membership to those for the further 3 games - For example $120 normally, but Super 14 members $60.

I hear RugbyWA have inspected the Arena Joondalup with the view to holding some (type of) game there!

Brother Gallagher I hear you