Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash

2013 Force squad from SGR’s perspective

Props
    Tetera Faulkner
    Pekahou Cowan
    Salesi Ma'afu
    Kieran Longbottom

Props for us doesn’t look like a problem area, there is good coverage across the park and some strong contention for starting spots. I would expect Pek and Ma'afu to start with Kieran to be on the bench. I do not think we have seen enough of Tetera to assess if he would consistently be up to this level, but maybe this year he will get his chance to show his ability. If worse comes to worse we have a known quantity sitting in the EPS in Manu.

Hooker
    Nathan Charles
    Ben Whittaker

Nathan is coming along leaps and bounds with constant improvement. Ben had (rumour) long layoffs with injury last season. Which makes sense as Elvis (EPS) played a lot of games from the bench and would not have been able to if both hookers where injury free. Both Ben and Nathan are good quality hookers, hopefully Bens injury concerns are behind him and he can get back to that mongrel we seen a couple of seasons ago.

Lock
    Toby Lynn
    Sam Wykes
    Phoenix Battye
    Hugh McMeniman

With Sharpie leaving we now have a big hole in our lock stocks. Toby needs to be more consistent at the breakdown but otherwise is a reliable lock. Phoenix did not for my liking have enough game time to prove to anyone his wares, this to me is a considerable error in player development and bad squad management not surprising considering we didn’t have a head coach for most of the year. Sam has shown promise and stepped up his consistency but a major concern is his long layoffs with injuries for one so young. Hugh is a big signing for the club but I see him as a 4 not a 6 where according to his press conference he sees himself, the club needs a lock not a another back rower! Anyway the guy has the goods and was regularly a great performer when playing for the reds. And that’s the crux of it when he played the guy is injury prone to say the least. Hopefully this new Head of Athletic Performance David Joyce who’s has supposedly worked wonders with other high performance injury prone players in the past.

Back Row
    Ben McCalman
    Chris Alcock
    Richard Brown
    Matt Hodgson
    Lachlan McCaffry
    Angus Cottrell

The Back row area doesn’t seem to be a problem even though the pre-eminent 7 left the squad. There is good coverage across the positions with a good blend of skill sets, Matt (@7) is first pick and has covered every position in the back row with aplomb, Ben Mac (@6 or 8) is the next pick and then whoever has been training the house down (maybe a rotation policy?). Richard Brown (@6 or 8) is going to be under the pump to keep is spot in the starting squad let alone a bench spot. I was really impressed with Angus Cottrell (6), he is a great player with a lot of potential and served us really well last year. Lachlan McCaffrey (8) also is a great prospect for the future and did the most with limited opportunities last year. Chris Alcock (@7) seems to be a solid player who didn’t leave much on the field for the Tahs last year I hope he can continue that mentality for the Force this year.

Scrum Half
    Alby Mathewson
    Brett Sheehan

You really have to feel for Justin Turner all the promise in the world but can’t seem to keep the gremlins away. Alby is a great known signing for the club, he is a proven performer at this level who I can’t understand why has been left out to dry by NZ rugby. With Brett staying we have very good coverage and it will be interesting to see who actually starts. Begs the question of whether Brett would have stayed knowing that Alby was coming. Healthy competition for the starting position however and that’s what the club needs.

Fly Half
    Sias Ebersohn
    Kyle Godwin

Two young and developing players. I really liked seeing Kyle get some game time at the end of last season. He brought a real spark to an otherwise dull backline, however being an unknown the other teams didn’t know what to expect so probably stood off a bit. More game time means that the opposition can start mitigating your effect on the game I hope he is up to the task of keeping them guessing. Sias even though he has played for a few season in Super rugby is a bit of an unknown for me as I haven’t watched much of the Cheetahs. The Cheetahs haven’t really set the world afire in the past and I wonder if he is a stop gap until Kyle can take over the reins full time or is he the real deal and will run the backline with aplomb? I hope it is the later.

Centres
    Chris Tuatara-Morrison
    Will Tupuo
    Pat Dellit
    Winston Stanley
    Solomoni Rasolea

I enjoyed the hits Will put on last every time he lined someone up it all I could hear was a really inappropriate song called “Smack my Bitch up”. I think given more game time he could develop into a really hard nut 13 who with some coaching and better players inside improve his running lines to create space on the outside. Pat is a must have in any team, he has in the past covered multiple positions and as such I see him as a dependable bench player who can cover most outside back positions, unfortunately last year wasn’t to be and he suffered long injury spells hopefully that is all behind him. Winston tried and tried last year he isn’t a defensive liability he does run lines but seemed to lack that tackle bust ability and maybe pace required in Super rugby hopefully with the change of playmakers we can see some line breaks from him. Chris is an unknown at this level but most of the media coming from the Eastern states seems to point to us taking a punt on him, I hope coming out to Perth is a fresh break for him and he repays the club 2 fold for the opportunity they have given him. Rasolea is also unknown at this level, he seems to have a decent pedigree as in Junior world cup etcetera, but don’t most Fijians end up in Northern hemisphere rugby if they are good?

Outside Backs
    Alfie Mafi
    Nick Cummins
    Sam Norton-Knight
    Ed Stubbs

Alfi had a breakout season last year and really impressed. Yes he made some errors, some huge but every time a ran the ball we look dangerous, he is our starting 11 and back up 15 if SNK doesn’t do it justice I expect him to move back to 15. Nick is Mr dependable he makes metres and tackles like a demon but is he a 13 or a 14? My thinking is the later especially with the squad that we have with multiple players that can play at 13. Hopefully the inside backs can start creating space and passing to the outside so that Nick can start racking up the meat pies. SNK from memory had a solid boot, was good under the high ball, wasn’t a slouch in the speed department without setting any land speed records and more importantly wasn’t a defensive liability. Hopefully none of these attributes have been lost. Ed Stubbs well only time will tell.

EPS
    Mick Snowden
    Salesi Manu
    Rory Walton
    James Hilterbrand

Salesi Manu is a must keep and a priority for us to keep long term. It’s great that he has re-signed for the club I can only imagine how many other clubs would have been sniffing around trying to get him to sign as a fully-fledged member. Mick, Rory, and James all come to us via the Sydney grade comp where they have each performed well this year. they can each make the most or the least out of the opportunity hopefully they take to it and push on through. Is there room here for a Perth development outside back, that’s really what I want to see over the next year or so WA players???

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Veteran
    vCash
    Re: sheeno, he had talked about going to Japan. Perhaps he signed, knowing they were looking to get a new Scrummy, and he wanted to play from the Bench. He probably wasn't expecting a call up to the wallabies.

vCash
    I think Sheeno was defo going to Nippon, he stood up and signed with Hodgo et al when we were at out lowest ebb. I think he knew at that point Alby was in the wind, he would be a bench player. Also at the time JT was still out, uncertain of a contract, and then came another injury in the Shute Shield.

Centre looks to be light on. Hopefully all those guys can step up a notch with some quality ball but more importantly a quality game plan and coaching from Meeahan and Chook. I would still like to see the Development Player be a passing 12, but wont be unhappy with a flyer like Grant

Maafu really needs to step up and quick. Otherwise its KBomb and Pek, promote Manu and get rid of him

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingbison View Post

Maafu really needs to step up and quick. Otherwise its KBomb and Pek, promote Manu and get rid of him
    Agree with all of the above assesments but it is disapointing that they kept Maafu. He has made it obvious he does not want to be here and i will not be surprised if he pulls a hammy in game one and spends most of the season eating pies. Bump up Manu and bring in a young lad in the EPS.

'Rugby and sex are the only things you can enjoy without being good at them.' -anonymous

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DinkyDi View Post
    Agree with all of the above assesments but it is disapointing that they kept Maafu. He has made it obvious he does not want to be here and i will not be surprised if he pulls a hammy in game one and spends most of the season eating pies. Bump up Manu and bring in a young lad in the EPS.
    Not to sure about your comment relating to Maafu As far as I know he is well settled the family loves it year. His boys plays rugby for Joondalup and he is at Britannia every morning when the juniors play. last I spoke to him he did not even want to go and play east in the of season and if he was not injured/surgery he would have played in the local competition.

vCash
    as long as he loses 5 kgs he'll be right, he has mongrel and is a technically proficient scrummager, its just his movement around the park that is concerning...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theforceguy View Post
    ...he is at McDonalds every morning when the juniors play. last I spoke to him he did not even want to go and play...
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    as long as he loses 25 kgs he'll be right...
    Fixed. Free of charge
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Not to sure about your comment relating to Maafu As far as I know he is well settled the family loves it year. His boys plays rugby for Joondalup and he is at Britannia every morning when the juniors play. last I spoke to him he did not even want to go and play east in the of season and if he was not injured/surgery he would have played in the local competition.
    This set of tweets which have now been removed between him and Alison may explain why we think he doesnt want to be here, ill quote the post she made on the 22/7/2012

"Saw a tweet from Ma'afu this morning saying "Next 12 months. HURRY UP". When I asked him why he just replied "Au revoir"

I take it from that that he won't be renewing his contract with the Force when it expires next year!

I imagine it's because he's missing his family, but the current uncertainty at the EWF can't be helping.

Another reason for RugbyWA for get it's freakin act together soon!! It's not fair on the players !!!"

http://twf.com.au/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=333453

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    as long as he loses 5 kgs he'll be right, he has mongrel and is a technically proficient scrummager, its just his movement around the park that is concerning...
    Technically proficient at rubbing his face in the grass. The other four props rank above him in scrummaging from what I have seen.

vCash

The issue is with him, I don't care where his kids play.
    He is a professional rugby player, there really should be no off season
    He didn't play in the local competition because he was injured.
    He seems to have an answer for everything. If he's all that he should be blasting scrums
    everywhere, he is being paid for what he does, and based on last season, I think someone needs to have a word. It might be fantastic talking to these "big stars" but don't let anyone blow smoke up you..

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    not too late to give him the flick if that is his attitude

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Send him on his way

Promote Manu to full Contract

Bring back Cruze or Ollie!

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    not too late to give him the flick if that is his attitude
    Quote Originally Posted by GAFFA View Post
    Send him on his way. Promote Manu to full Contract. Bring back Cruze or Ollie
    If you are listening Force HQ, this is the EXACT message you need to send to rugby players in WA, rugby players eastern states, members, and the ARU. A perfect message in intent for relaunching the Force.
    "We ado not care about names (Maafu). We care about performance (KBomb). Perform of perish. If your hearts not in it, if you dont give a shit, frak off to where you came from we don't want you. We trust who we have (Manu) in wings. We care about effort, endeavour and are willing ro give locals a shot (Cruze)"
    This guy is (purportedly) a wallaby. He should be one of the top rung in every department in our weak team. Yet he is useless, a liability. He indicates he doesnt wan't to be here in word AND deed. I

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

Rookie
    vCash
    We are building a culture - Bench him. Promote Manu. We need to find the next generation as we do not have an abundance of excellent props. EWF have a great squad but need some more time but we don't have the AB's version of the Franks brothers being unearthed. That's not to say they are not playing in one of the local comps as we speak.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boab View Post
    We are building a culture - Bench him. Promote Manu. We need to find the next generation as we do not have an abundance of excellent props. EWF have a great squad but need some more time but we don't have the AB's version of the Franks brothers being unearthed. That's not to say they are not playing in one of the local comps as we speak.
    Thats were cruze and ollie come in. 2 young wa props both aus u20's who have had to head east to get a shot they should be in the squad the NEED to be in the squad!
    Posted via Mobile Device