Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: John O'Neill to step down from ARU

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash

John O'Neill to step down from ARU

The Australian Rugby Union has called a press conference this morning at 11am in their North Sydney office with expectation that managing director and CEO John O'Neill will stand down from his post.

ARU Chairman Michael Hawker and O'Neill will be in attendance.

O'Neill was CEO of the ARU from 1995 to 2003 and stepped down after successfully organising the 2003 World Cup. He spent three years at the head of Football Federation Australian before returning to the ARU in 2007.

http://www.watoday.com.au/rugby-unio...012-27gom.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Whoa!
    Who's going to replace him?
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Yay, hope they get somebody who prefers winning rugby to making money!

C'mon the

vCash
    Looks like Matt Carroll as caretaker while they search for a new CEO world wide?

Funny thing that why search world wide when they think the world stops on the outskirts of Sydney!

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Looks like the ARU are able to keep some things confidential, didn't even hear any Unnnamed Sauces speculating about this in the lead up.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Champion
    vCash
    Hallelujah. Now can we have our academy back please

vCash
    Does this mean Quade can come back to the play pen after a week in the corner?

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    Good news as JON is past his use by date. Now, do we trust these cretins to hire someone of quality to replace him???

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    Good news as JON is past his use by date.
    I'd agree. His stints in rugby and soccer show that he is a brilliant 'fixer' when there are organisational problems that need sorting out, but it's when it comes to taking the next step that he seems lacking.

He did a lot of good things during his two stints in the ARU including breaking down the old state-based organisational structure (you think it's bad now, it was even worse in the 90s), steering us through hosting a tremendous World Cup, marketing the game to completely new audiences in the late 90s and early 2000s, and, in his second stint, coming up with the basic model for the current expanded Super Rugby competition.

However the last couple of years have not demonstrated the ability to push on from that and continue developing the game. The current centralised academy system is inadequate and, while scrapping the ARC needed to happen, there hasn't been any inkling of a sustainable replacement 3rd tier competition(s) to fill the gap. So, with no malice intended, I welcome him stepping out of the role a year early.

Champion
    vCash
    His salary was in excess of 900 grand. I'll do it for half that,couldn't be too hard could it.Piss Cooper off ,all academies back on board,organize a national comp then sit back sqeeze myself into corporate boxes and watch all the rugby I want, sinking as much piss as I can at above mentioned events.Actually I'll do it for free

Rookie
    vCash
    12 October 2012
    LETTER FROM MR MICHAEL HAWKER AM, CHAIRMAN, AUSTRALIAN RUGBY UNION
    I am writing to let you know we are announcing today that one of the country’s most respected sports administrators, John O’Neill, will stand down as Australian Rugby Union Managing Director and CEO on October 31.
    The ARU Board and John have reached agreement to bring forward a departure date that was originally planned for late next year. John’s resignation will allow him to concentrate on his other business interests, particularly a recent appointment as Chairman of Echo Entertainment.
    It will also enable the ARU Board to put in place a successor to build on the foundations laid to lead the sport for the next five years and beyond.
    As you all know, we are at an important transition point in the evolution of Australian rugby. John has met the key objectives of the ARU five year strategic plan since re-joining the ARU in 2007, and John and the Board agree that new leadership will build on these platforms and ensure we deliver on our ambitious reform agenda.
    John will step down on 31 October, following the final Bledisloe Cup Test for 2012 in Brisbane on 20 October, and the Board has appointed Matt Carroll as Acting CEO while we conduct an international search to fill the role.
    I would like to pay tribute to John, who has steered the ARU through significant reform over the past five years, and indeed when he led the ARU between 1995 and 2004. He has been a world-class administrator, and his massive contribution to the game will be warmly remembered.
    John is one of our country’s best sporting administrators. During his second tenure at ARU, the Wallabies have moved from fifth to second in the world rankings. He has strengthened the ARU’s financial position, increased the participation base to unprecedented levels, and introduced the opportunity for Melbourne to produce a Super Rugby Franchise, and with it, third party investment. He has also set the foundation for the Corporate Governance Review that will modernise and reshape the way in which Australian Rugby is structured and managed, and has delivered Australia significant influence at the International Rugby Board.
    John is a passionate believer in Australian rugby, and we know he will continue to represent us well on the Rugby World Cup Board. We have also asked him to continue to represent the ARU on the International Rugby Board until a new CEO has been appointed.
    I look forward to keeping you updated on our search for a new CEO and I am sure you will join me in thanking John for the great work he has done for the Australian Rugby Union over his long history of leadership in the game.
    Yours sincerely
    Michael Hawker Chairman of the Board, ARU

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingbison View Post
    Does this mean Quade can come back to the play pen after a week in the corner?
    No! The kids' corner is where QC has finally found his niche. Would be cruel and unusual treatment to throw him back in with the grown-ups again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast