Thread: Motion Induced Blindness

Legend Contributor
    vCash

Motion Induced Blindness

Ever missed something on the rode when cycling or driving? See the following, it is quite scary

Have you ever been driving along and all of a sudden someone you didn't see (another car, a motorcycle/bicycle, or even a person) is right in front of you? I am always left wondering, "How did I miss seeing that?" Here is the answer. Watching this could save a life.

NOT focusing for too long on one thing, could save your life when applied to traffic ... From a former Naval Aviator. It works exactly like it says, and is one major reason people in cars can ‘look right at you’, when you're on a motorcycle or bicycle, AND NOT SEE YOU.This is a great illustration of what we were taught about scanning outside the cockpit when I went through training back in the '50s. We were told to scan the horizon for a short distance, stop momentarily, and repeat the process. I can remember being told why this was the most effective technique to locate other aircraft. It was emphasized (repeatedly) to NOT fix your gaze for more than a couple of seconds on any single object. The instructors, some of whom were WWII veterans with years of experience, instructed us to continually "keep our eyes moving and our head on a swivel" because this was the best way to survive, not only in combat, but from peacetime hazards (like a midair collision) as well. We basically had to take the advice on faith (until we could experience for ourselves) because the technology to demonstrate it didn't exist at that time. Click on the link below for a demonstration ... http://www.msf-usa.org/motion.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Wierd!

vCash
    ha ha cool

vCash
    Interesting!

"Believe in the best, think your best, study your best, have a goal for your best, never be satisfied with less than your best, try your best, and in the long run things will turn out for the best."

vCash
    I can also see some flashing red stars. About 6 or 7 of them.