Thread: IRB 'not impressed' with drunken Sevens

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

IRB 'not impressed' with drunken Sevens

Drunk Wellington Sevens fans have left the IRB unimpressed and there are calls for the concourse to become liquor-free.

Commentator Keith Quinn, who says behaviour of crowds is getting progressively worse each year, has called for a dry-zone in the Westpac Stadium concourse from late afternoon to early evening during the tournament.

People would be able to buy alcohol in the concourse but would have to take it back in to the stadium to drink.

It would create a situation where people were there to watch a game and drink, as opposed to just getting drunk, he said.

He had talked to IRB Sevens tournament operations manager Beth Coulter after the last Wellington Sevens.

"[She] gave the impression to me they were not impressed with the behaviour of the Wellington crowd."

While there was no talk of Wellington losing the Sevens, Quinn pointed out there were many places – including Auckland, Europe, Argentina, and Suva – which would like to take it off us.

In the past two years he had personally had bad experiences with drunk punters.

Once, he and sports commentator John McBeth had been walking from the stadium and held back from a "rowdy" group of 25 people at traffic lights, knowing they would be recognised and harassed.

In another incident, McBeth had to help a taxi driver remove a girl from a taxi who, having just vomited, had jumped in his taxi and offered the driver "sexual payment" instead of money for a trip to Wainuiomata.

Wellington councillor John Morrison, a vocal opponent of tighter liquor controls at the Sevens, said there were only a few more arrests in the city during the tournament compared to other times.

Wellington City Council – which issues a liquor license for the Sevens – had previously discussed tighter liquor control.

While it was not on the table right now "it's very likely to come before us again", he said.

Tighter restrictions would penalise the vast majority who were well behaved, in order to police the few who weren't.

"We are so amazing in this country. We want to have rules to stop a few people doing something."

The Sevens already had a family area which was dry. It was the least-utilised area, he said.

Quinn's proposal to have a non-drinking concourse was unworkable because people needed a break from seven hours of rugby and they would likely run into friends at the bar and want to talk to them, he said.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/i...drunken-Sevens

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Sounds like the Waikato mob went on a tour to Windy City.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Not our fault Kiwi's cant drink

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Champion
    vCash
    Karl Te Nana on the Booze Ban

http://www.radiosport.co.nz/player/o...about-drinking

John Morrison from the Wellington Council

http://www.radiosport.co.nz/player/o...ld-be-dry-zone

Champion
    vCash
    Isn't it standard to get as maggoted as you can at these kind of events

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westies man View Post
    Isn't it standard to get as maggoted as you can at these kind of events
    Only in NZ it seems!!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    nah not just NZ .. look what happened to Spring in the Valley

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    I'm used to the beer flowing freely at sevens tournaments (I've been to Twickenham and Dubai) but there rarely being any trouble. IME, rugby fans can take their alcohol well and are less prone to violence when drunk than fans of some sports!

However, sevens tournaments are becoming less about rugby and more about the party. I don't want to stop the fun costumes or do anything which might turn people off sevens (which is a gateway drug to proper rugby ) but if the event become more about the party than the rugby you run the risk of it becoming just a huge piss-up with the rugby as a side-show.

However, I certainly don't want sevens tournaments to become dry - that'd be a disaster for the fans and ultimately for the organisers and players as crowds shrink to zero.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    In the past two years he had personally had bad experiences with drunk punters.

Once, he and sports commentator John McBeth had been walking from the stadium and held back from a "rowdy" group of 25 people at traffic lights, knowing they would be recognised and harassed.

How is this a "bad experience"???

Not sure the second experience is all downside either...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I dunno Burgs, the blowing of chunks definitely devalues the payment for me.

C'mon the