Thread: New TMO powers from the IRB

vCash

New TMO powers from the IRB

I haven't seen, nor can I find, any discussion regarding the new powers granted to TMOs in the latest round of IRB law changes. These appear to be the law changes, although I've got this from a few different websites, so I can't guarantee the accuracy of it all:

1. The referee can now ask the TMO to rule on any incident between the last stoppage in play and the ball being touched down. If there are multiple phases of play, the TMO could review every phase to identify infringments, although apparently the Currie Cup has said the TMO will only be able to adjudicate on the last 2 phases of play (which makes sense to me). The TMO will also be able to advise the ref on incidents which may have occurred in the field of play in the lead-up to a try being scored, and on incidents of foul play.

2. Conversion kicks will have to be completed within 90 seconds of a try being awarded.

3. At rucks, the ball will have to be used within five seconds of becoming available at the back of a ruck after the referee has instructed a team to “use it.”

4. When the ball goes into touch from a knock-on, the non-offending team will have the choice of a lineout at the point the ball crossed the touchline or a scrum where the knock-on occurred.

5. Quick lineouts will be able to be taken by a player anywhere outside the field of play between the line of touch and the players’ goal line.

6. When a penalty or free kick is awarded at a lineout, the non-offending team will have the choice of a further lineout at which it will have the throw-in.

I thought 5 was the law anyway, but I quite like the changes. I wait to see what effect they have, though.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    also dropping the call" Pause"and replacing "engage" with "set" in the scrums
    looking at some of the games in NZ,this hasn't made much difference,scrums still collapse

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    watching the old games where it was just "engage" is just good compared to the crap we have to put up with now..

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Re 1: It's about bloody time. Two phases should be the limit though and I'd prefer only 1 for most infringements. I'm ok with foul play being reported from all play leading up to the possible try.

Very happy with the scrum or lineout options. It's good to see the game evolving to suit the professional/TV/new spectator era.

However I'm VERY disappionted that there is not a move to have all foul play yellow/red cards subject to video review. This effects more results than all the other changes put together and the referees get it wrong far too many times.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Just use the TMO as a third AR with all the applicable powers and responsibilites - which would include review of yellow/red cards as the ref usually consults with them prior to sending a player to the naughty chair.