Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Force sign All Blacks No.9

vCash

Force sign All Blacks No.9

All Blacks scrum-half Alby Mathewson will be the Western Force's international marquee signing for next season.

The Force have been in talks with the Auckland Blues' No.9 for some weeks, as revealed in _The West Australian _ earlier this month, and will today announce that they have secured Mathewson for one year.

He will be new Force director of coaching Michael Foley's second signing since taking charge. Foley secured the signature of flanker Chris Alcock from his former club NSW Waratahs last week.

Mathewson will bring much- needed speed to the Force back line when he pairs with overseas development signing, fly-half Sias Ebersohn, who will leave the Bloemfontein-based Cheetahs after the South African Currie Cup competition.

Foley will now have to decide whether to retain Josh Holmes, who was signed midway through last season on a short-term contract, or Justin Turner, who has had limited games after being hit by several serious injuries since representing Australia in the 2010 world junior championships.

Last season's first-choice scrum-half Brett Sheehan has already signed a deal for the 2013 season.

The Force still have at least one vacancy in their senior squad of 30 and are expected to fill it with their second overseas development player who would sign for at least two years.

Australian Super Rugby clubs can sign their marquee player only on a one-season contract.

Mathewson, 27, has made four appearances for the All Blacks. He joined the Blues from the Wellington Hurricanes in 2010 and has played more than 80 Super Rugby games. He is off contract with the Blues but is still the starting scrum-half for Auckland's ITM Cup provincial competition side.

He was the 2010 Rebel Sport Super 14 Player of the Year.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Veteran
    vCash
    cool

notice how once we had a 'coach' and a couple of signing, that all the bitching disappeared?

Veteran
    vCash
    anyone seen any vids which demonstrate his passing game and defence? I can only find his try video. He seems like a hard runner. which would be nice. don't like his post try celebrations though, unless they are for his daughter.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Looks good - great signing.

Foley is looking better and better with each announcement.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    I like this part at the end of the artical to.

"�Force winger Nick Cummins could make his Wallabies debut against South Africa in Perth in the September 8 Rugby Championship clash.

Coach Robbie Deans is waiting for results of an ultrasound on Drew Mitchell's right ankle, injured in Saturday night's crushing 22-0 Bledisloe Cup Test loss to New Zealand in Auckland."
    http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...l-blacks-no-9/

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    Good signing I reckon

Quote Originally Posted by palitu View Post
    notice how once we had a 'coach' and a couple of signing, that all the bitching disappeared?
    Rabble

Rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble

But in seriousness, I think it was the constant state of uncertainty that had alot of people offside

vCash
    Watched a lot of his matches in that 2010 season, has some serious pace and vision to match it

vCash
    Rugby WA press release now out:

The Emirates Western Force has signed All Blacks scrumhalf Alby Mathewson for the 2013 FxPro Super Rugby season.

Mathewson, who has spent the past three seasons representing the Auckland Blues, will join the West Australian side as its marquee international signing for 2013.

The probing scrumhalf was internationally capped four times for the Kiwis in 2010 and has amassed 83 Super Rugby caps since making his debut for the Hurricanes in 2007 against the Reds.

The 26-year-old, who played every match for the Blues in 2012, was named New Zealand’s Super Rugby Player of the Year in 2010, leading to his Test debut off the bench in the All Blacks’ 20-10 win over Australia in Christchurch that season.

Mathewson, who scored the match-winning try for Auckland in their 36-29 ITM Cup season opener against Hawkes Bay on Thursday, says he’s thrilled to be linking with the Emirates Western Force.

“This is an excellent opportunity for me and one I’m really looking forward to,” he said. “I’ve really enjoyed my time at the Blues but this is a chance for me to challenge myself in a new environment, play a different style of rugby and it’s a prospect that really excites me.

“The Force are entering a really exciting period with a new coach coming in, and it’s a great chance to be part of building something special and for this playing group to leave a significant legacy at the club.

“They [the Force] obviously experienced a tough season this year, but sides have shown that things can be turned around quickly and from my discussions with the club things are certainly heading in the right direction.

“I’m really looking forward to getting over there, settling into Perth with my partner and getting stuck in to do my bit towards the team’s success next season.”

Mathewson spent three seasons with the Hurricanes (2007-2009) before linking with the Blues, having previously represented New Zealand Under 21’s (2006).

Incoming Emirates Western Force coach Michael Foley says Mathewson will help bring balance to his squad for 2013.

“We’re very pleased to welcome Alby to the Emirates Western Force as our marquee player for next season,” he said.

“As we prepare to relaunch the side, we’ve focused on recruiting some of the best up-and-coming talent. Having Alby join us in a key position like scrumhalf will not only add to our performance next season, but also ensure we’re able to develop our young talent to its fullest potential.

“Alby has a good all-round game with attacking skills that allow him to identify and exploit opportunities in the defensive line. Our goal is to play up-tempo rugby that our players and supporters enjoy, and it’s a brand of rugby that will suit Alby’s skills.

“Alby’s been a stalwart at this level for the past six years and will, along with Brett Sheehan, provide us with two very experienced options at scrumhalf in 2013.”

Charles Mountifield, General Manager Rugby Operations (Australia) of the Essentially Group said Mathewson was keen to continue his rugby career with the Emirates Western Force.

“Alby has established himself as a top scrumhalf in New Zealand’s competitive rugby environment for the past six seasons,” he said. “He’s a player that’s made the most of an opportunity that’s been presented to him throughout his career, and he’s certainly looking to repay this opportunity with the Force as their marquee signing for 2013.”

Name: Alby Mathewson
    Born: 13/12/1985
    Position: Scrumhalf
    Height: 179cm
    Weight: 93kg

http://www.rugbywa.com.au/NewsEvents...0/Default.aspx

vCash
    He's probably even happier that the Force can't sign Weepu

Champion
    vCash
    Great news we now have a 9 and 10 to get the backs moving forward....feel for Sheehan. Brett off the bench will be like having another loosey. We still need a 13 or 12...then I will be happy. Like to see Turner stay on, local young and has talent just needs to bulk up, that will come (ditch Holmes very average half)....so at the mo we have 4 number 9's ?? correct

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BDAVEY View Post
    Great news we now have a 9 and 10 to get the backs moving forward....feel for Sheehan. Brett off the bench will be like having another loosey. We still need a 13 or 12...then I will be happy. Like to see Turner stay on, local young and has talent just needs to bulk up, that will come (ditch Holmes very average half)....so at the mo we have 4 number 9's ?? correct
    only 2 Signed Sheehan and Alby Holmes and Turner not comminted yet.

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BDAVEY View Post
    We still need a 13 or 12...then I will be happy. (ditch Holmes very average half)....so at the mo we have 4 number 9's ?? correct
    Has to be a 12! I'll be seriously effed off if it ain't!

vCash
    they must have sent a few boys packing. Anyone got any news on hugh mcmeniman he was rumor to be coming.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Rumours still thick that some existing contracted players will try and be paid out to make way for new signings. I doubt very much that the current 29 players signed will be the same come Round 1.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Im liking foles talk of 'relaunching' the club. Actions speak louder than words though. Everyone in that building better follow through on that
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast