Thread: Clyde Rathbone?

Apprentice
    vCash

Clyde Rathbone?

Hey guys,

Clyde Rathbone has begun training with the brumbies hoping for a spot in their backline next season. (http://au.sports.yahoo.com/rugby/new...crack-at-rugby) By the looks of their backline last season, even with all the injuries they had, they still managed to field a pretty good side which leads me to think he may not get an offer when they're back at full strength.

Should the Force pursue him if he were to become available? I remember him as an extremely good winger, similar to adam ashley-cooper. Given our backline (or lack thereof), it maybe worth a thought. The only question would be how much of his ability and/or fitness has he retained due to him being out of the game for a number of years

Thoughts?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    all i remember of him were his huge thighs orange hair and his try on debut in perth against the boks.. another journeyman that struggled with injury if i recall

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShakeNBake View Post
    Hey guys,

Clyde Rathbone has begun training with the brumbies hoping for a spot in their backline next season. (http://au.sports.yahoo.com/rugby/new...crack-at-rugby) By the looks of their backline last season, even with all the injuries they had, they still managed to field a pretty good side which leads me to think he may not get an offer when they're back at full strength.

Should the Force pursue him if he were to become available? I remember him as an extremely good winger, similar to adam ashley-cooper. Given our backline (or lack thereof), it maybe worth a thought. The only question would be how much of his ability and/or fitness has he retained due to him being out of the game for a number of years

Thoughts?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Rookie
    vCash
    Rathbone was the face of the Force before we were even formed. It was assumed he was a gimme to sign as he has family in Perth. But he went to the Brumbies. Was a very good winger cum centre but has had serious knee issues and mental health problems. We should be signing young fit guys with their futures ahead of them not old crocks looking for a year or two more before the knackers yard.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruffalo View Post
    Rathbone was the face of the Force before we were even formed. It was assumed he was a gimme to sign as he has family in Perth. But he went to the Brumbies. Was a very good winger cum centre but has had serious knee issues and mental health problems. We should be signing young fit guys with their futures ahead of them not old crocks looking for a year or two more before the knackers yard.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Definitely, but as I said in a previous thread, sign him on a pay per game basis. No play no pay. That will ensure we don't have another Andre Preterious debacle. The likelihood is that CB will have 1 or 2 injury ravaged seasons and then retire, but it's worth considering recruiting him as long as the Force protect themselves.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    He would certainly bring some old school live by the sword, die by the sword hard arse to the backline, he has less regard for his own personal well being than does McCabe running it back from Fullback, but a better player than that.
    If you could ensure fitness then I would chase him for sure.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Champion
    vCash
    I think i would rather have had Shephard than CR??? like to see some young blood from grade rugby in NZ and Sydney and see what Foley can do???

vCash
    Would be too much of a short term fix, we need to build for the future and look to some young blood.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    short term and paid weekly

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    At 31 Rathbone would be too slow to play on the wing. He'd probably be looked at as an outside centre and we have plenty of options there. I would much rather see Will Tupou, Nick Cummins, Pat Dellit, etc there.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Rookie
    vCash
    Signed for brumbies. Has a close relationship with White in RSA. Jake was pretty scathing of his conversion to a wallaby. Glad we didn't sign him
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    At 31 Rathbone would be too slow to play on the wing. He'd probably be looked at as an outside centre and we have plenty of options there. I would much rather see Will Tupou, Nick Cummins, Pat Dellit, etc there.
    I reckon speed and fitness will be fine at 31. The concern is injuries.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruffalo View Post
    Signed for brumbies. Has a close relationship with White in RSA. Jake was pretty scathing of his conversion to a wallaby. Glad we didn't sign him
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Would you have said the same thing about samo?
    White knows what he is doing.
    Don't think he would have wasted a spot on him if he didn't think he was worth it.
    Will def be interesting to see how he goes after a preseason
    Posted via Mobile Device

Rookie
    vCash
    For Rathbone and Brumbies low downside in signing. All reports good but if does not last then upgrade from the EPS. Brumbies upgraded 4 of 5 this year.