Thread: Clyde Rathbone eyes return to Super Rugby

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Clyde Rathbone eyes return to Super Rugby

MELISSA WOODS

Former Wallabies winger Clyde Rathbone is looking to make a fairytale return to rugby after overcoming depression and a swag of injuries.

The 31-year-old is training with the Brumbies in a bid to win a contract for the 2013 Super Rugby season and has been described as the "fittest he's ever been".

Rathbone retired from rugby prematurely in 2009 after being sidelined repeatedly with groin, knee, facial and hamstring issues following 26 Tests and 52 games with the Brumbies.

The tackle-shedding flyer revealed in February this year he had a life-long battle with depression.

A Brumbies' official confirmed Rathbone hoped to snare a vacant backs position.

"He's one of several players looking at filling our last few positions," he said.

"Clyde will continue on when we get back into full pre-season training in October and see how he goes."

The Brumbies, who were unlucky to miss the finals, also have a second-row vacancy.

South African born, Rathbone captained his birth country's under-21 side to World Cup victory in 2002 but then decided to play for Australia, which he qualified for through his Australian-born paternal grandmother.

Brumbies coach and fellow South African Jake White was his coach at that World Cup and the pair have remained close.

White offered him a chance earlier this season but Rathbone initially turned him down.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/s...to-Super-Rugby

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Veteran
    vCash
    interesting that he turned it down. Shows that he is comfortable to wait until he is mentally ready.

vCash
    Worth the Force having a sniff, assuming he can be had for a bargain. Can't imagine anyone paying top dollar for him.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    tried to get him once before

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zed View Post
    Worth the Force having a sniff, assuming he can be had for a bargain. Can't imagine anyone paying top dollar for him.
    ermmmm we have just ditched Force leg end Cam Shepherd, who was also prone to injuries.....

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingbison View Post
    ermmmm we have just ditched Force leg end Cam Shepherd, who was also prone to injuries.....
    He's not really in a position to bargain with a S15 team, the Force could offer him a contract whereby he is paid for every game he plays. Something similar was done with injury-plagued Owen Hargreaves & Man City.

vCash
    Turn it up!! A Saffa suffering from under confidence!! HAA!

There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't

vCash
    Another Andre Pretorius. "never felt fitter" yea right..!! Before the first game, he will fall apart...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by almac View Post
    Another Andre Pretorius. "never felt fitter" yea right..!! Before the first game, he will fall apart...
    He's playing nicely these days in the second tier comp, must be the air over there, (not forgetting the effect of singing the club song).

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Clyde Rathbone signs for 2013

Thursday, 23 August 2012

Champion outside back Clyde Rathbone will play for the Brumbies in 2013 after signing a one-year deal with the club on Thursday morning.

A 26 Test veteran who played 49 Super Rugby games for the Brumbies between 2003 and 2009, Rathbone immigrated to Australia shortly after captaining the South African Under 21’s to a junior world cup victory in 2002.

That championship winning side was coached by Jake White, with the future Brumbies Rugby mentor recognising early that Rathbone had what it took to be a champion of the game.

In a further link with the Brumbies coaching staff, Rathbone was previously coached by Laurie Fisher while he played outside Stephen Larkham for five seasons.

“It’s a new challenge for me to be in this position and to have another shot at playing professional rugby with the Brumbies,” Rathbone said.

“The Brumbies rugby program is in outstanding shape. The coaching and conditioning staff are some of the best in the business and it’s easy to see why the team was so fit and cohesive in 2012.

“I’m not coming back to make up the numbers. Like all the players here I’ve got goals and objectives, I want to meet those targets in 2013 and contribute to this team.”

Rathbone has plenty of big game experience having been part of the Brumbies last finals appearance in 2004 when the ACT based side won the Super 12 tournament at Canberra Stadium.

Since retiring in 2009, Rathbone has returned to peak fitness and recently posted some impressive times and results in testing with Brumbies Strength and Conditioning Coach, Dean Benton.

Making his Super 12 debut for the Durban Sharks in 2002, Rathbone’s move to Canberra made him one of Australia’s most popular players during his time with the Wallabies.

And while Rathbone’s return to the Brumbies is his first priority, recent Wallaby re-births to players like Dan Vickerman and Radike Samo have left the door open for a possible return to international rugby.

White was thrilled with the inclusion of Rathbone to his 2013 Brumbies Rugby squad. He was confident the addition of another Wallaby to the Brumbies ranks would help guide younger members of the backline.

“It’s fantastic that a guy like Clyde can see the value of our rugby program and wants to come back and have another crack at playing professionally,” White said.

“From the first time I saw Clyde play as a youngster, I knew there was something special about him and that I wanted a chance to coach him at a higher level.

“From a coach’s perspective, Clyde’s signature is another confirmation that what we are doing with the Brumbies and rugby in the ACT is on track.

“I look forward to seeing Clyde contribute to this team, both on and off the field, throughout the coming Super Rugby season.”

Clyde Rathbone
    Outside backs
    H/W: 1.8m, 96kg
    DOB: 23/7/1981, Durban
    Super Rugby Caps: 52 (3 Sharks)
    Brumbies Rugby Caps: 49
    Super Rugby Pts: 75 (15t)
    Super Rugby debut: 2002 v Crusaders, Durban (Sharks)
    Test Caps: 26
    Test Pts: 40 (8t)
    Test debut: 2004 v Scotland, Melbourne

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Good on him - let's see if he's up to scratch!