Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pocock to have surgery, Genia to lead Aust

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Pocock to have surgery, Genia to lead Aust

Adrian Warren, AAP
    Updated August 20, 2012, 11:02 am

Will Genia will lead the Wallabies against New Zealand in Auckland on Saturday, with skipper David Pocock to have keyhole surgery on his knee on Tuesday.

Openside flanker Pocock suffered damage to the articular cartilage in his right knee in the first half of Saturday's 27-19 loss to New Zealand in the Rugby Championship opener.

Pocock said he wasn't sure how long he was likely to be sidelined.

"He said he wanted to avoid putting a timeline on it till after he (surgeon) actually got in there to have a look," Pocock said.

Coach Robbie Deans was philosophical about the injury.

"It's disappointing for him and obviously not what we were seeking, but that's the way it is and it's part of the game," Deans said.

Deans said it was likely he would name both other openside flankers, Michael Hooper and Liam Gill, in the 22-man squad for the second Bledisloe Cup Test at Eden Park.

He didn't nominate the starter but said Hooper, who has won three caps, had more background with the team than the uncapped Gill.

Genia has captained Australia once before - against the United States at last year's World Cup.

"He responds to that sort of responsibility and I've got no doubt he will do so here," Deans said of Genia.

Halfback Genia said he would lead by deed rather than word.

"I'll just worry about doing my job as a player first and foremost," Genia said.

Pocock's injury continued the run of outs in the Wallabies leadership group, with Genia the only one currently fit.
    Lock and first-choice captain James Horwill, Pocock and backs James O'Connor and Pat McCabe are all injured.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...-to-lead-aust/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post

Genia has captained Australia once before - against the United States at last year's World Cup.

"He responds to that sort of responsibility and I've got no doubt he will do so here," Deans said of Genia.

Halfback Genia said he would lead by deed rather than word.

"I'll just worry about doing my job as a player first and foremost," Genia said.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...-to-lead-aust/

Just what we need, another silent leader, why wouldn't you utilise Sharpie's proven leadership abilities, he won't be around for ever (I don't think).

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    The Force may have mixed feelings over Pocock's injury - sad for a loyal past servant, but glad it's now the Brumbies' problem.

vCash
    Leaders need integrity this one does not have an ounce.

I am gutted for Sharpie, a born leader.

I cannot beleive that I am saying this and putting it in writing, I for one will not be upset of the All Blacks whallop us now, in fact I kind of hope so.

It may then show Deans the light to let Sharpie lead the Wallabies in Perth against the Springboks, and let us pay this great servant of Australian rugby the dues he desreves.

More than likley less than no chance but who knows.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Champion
    vCash
    I can't beleive your saying it either Tazz

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    O'Connor is part of the leadership group? WTF?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    prob in his brands contract.

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    After months of meticulous investigation of KPIs, involvement statistics, fitness reports, psychological profiling, biomechanical modelling, and physiological testing, there was no obvious reason for the woeful, abject, unskilled, heartless and braindead wallaby performances of late culminating in the loss to Scotland, fluke wins against Wales and insipid performance against ABs.

Then I saw this:

Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    ...the Wallabies leadership group, with Genia the only one currently fit. Lock and first-choice captain James Horwill, Pocock and backs James O'Connor and Pat McCabe are all injured...]
    Now it is all clear

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

Champion
    vCash
    JOC in charge of hairdressing and after hours functions

vCash
    I thought Pocock would be a natural for captaincy material but after this season im not sure he is the right choice. He doesn't seem to inspire confidence in teammates with authoritative leadership and doesn't seem to be able to inspire a change in tactics on a field like a Johnson or a Matfield or even Richie. His management of refs is also a worry. He also seems to need Sharpie to make decisions with and for him. A good player but not a leader. Also while captain of the Force there weren't many games where he was able to get the boys firing which was disappointing.

There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't

vCash
    Big blow for the wallabies

The Force possibly had his best rugby. As someone said, Brumbies problem now. He's a tough bugger so will likely be back.

Read was about 100m offside when he nailed Pocock

The Allblack defence was about 1-2m offside all night which is why their linespeed was so good and why we were tackled behind the advantage line all night. How do these cheating carnts get away with this so much?

Sharpie's career is finished. Why would you select him as captain?

Genia is a good choice. Go you good thing

I am not sure Hooper or Gill are the answers for a do or die Bledisloe test at Eden Park as Pocock's replacement. Sadly, we have to watch the train wreck unfold as Deans picks an ineffective combination which is incohesive and has weaknesses everywhere

It's Link time

Dead set

Controversy corner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Messup View Post
    I am not sure Hooper or Gill are the answers for a do or die Bledisloe test at Eden Park as Pocock's replacement. Sadly, we have to watch the train wreck unfold as Deans picks an ineffective combination which is incohesive and has weaknesses everywhere

It's Link time

Dead set
    Do you really think it matters who we play at 7?

C'mon the

vCash
    need 2 fetchers to counter the AB's loosies.. as rex said they were 1-2m offsides all night and even though that idiot irishman and his overheated pea whistle were at it all night that was one thing he missed consistently.. that is all

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Gawd help us!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NTT View Post
    I thought Pocock would be a natural for captaincy material but after this season im not sure he is the right choice. He doesn't seem to inspire confidence in teammates with authoritative leadership and doesn't seem to be able to inspire a change in tactics on a field like a Johnson or a Matfield or even Richie. His management of refs is also a worry. He also seems to need Sharpie to make decisions with and for him. A good player but not a leader. Also while captain of the Force there weren't many games where he was able to get the boys firing which was disappointing.
    Agree with you 100%. Pocock is not captain material - not at club level, nor at international level. Not enough authority or 'mongrel'. Without Sharpie to confer with, not sure what he'd do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast