Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kurtley Beale in court on assault charge

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Kurtley Beale in court on assault charge

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/7...assault-charge

AMY REMEIKIS

Wallaby Kurtley Beale has been granted bail while he attends mediation with a hotel bouncer that he is accused of striking.

The Melbourne Rebels fly-half appeared in Brisbane Magistrates Court this morning on charges he assaulted a bouncer in the early hours of June 8, after he and Wallabies teammate Quade Cooper were refused entry to the Victory Hotel in Brisbane's CBD.

Dressed in a dark suit, Beale was forced to sit in the front row of the public gallery awaiting his appearance.

The 23-year-old's defence solicitor, Angelo Vernardos, told Magistrate Elizabeth Hall his client and the alleged victim were attempting to solve the matter through justice mediation, and asked for an eight-week adjournment.

Ms Hall adjourned the matter until August 22. Beale will not have to appear at court on that date and was given bail while the mediation process took place.

However, the magistrate said if mediation was not successful, Mr Beale would have to travel to Queensland to face any further court dates.

Beale declined to speak to reporters outside court.

Justice mediation allows for a face-to-face meeting between an alleged victim and defendant. The complainant can talk about how they were affected by the defendant's actions and the defendant has an opportunity to try to repair the harm their actions have caused. It is voluntary and confidential.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    i wonder what the terms of his bail are. can he leave the country?

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    mediation.... what a joke

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    theres no way this is going to court. Open chequebook for the bouncer lol.

And there is no way he can leave the country while on bail, so it will be mediated successfully within a fortnight.

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    I think it was reported that Quade paid the victim about 30k to go away, how much will it cost Beale to make this disappear?

Perhaps Gerry could run a book on it...

vCash
    I'm still so livid he played for the wallabies during this whole process. Completely unacceptable. I hope the bouncer refuses to settle, and this goes through the whole media circus. He shouldn't be playing rugby again after this. Which would be a shame, because I enjoy watching him play. But this is too much.

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    Imagine what the ARU would do to KB if his name was Matt Henjak...why he'd never play rugby in Australia again.

coz Stone Cold says so

Champion
    vCash
    Hang on guys....he hasn't had his day in court yet...you're all convinced he's guilty. Even Fulvio would agree "he's innocent until proven guilty".

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    that's what all this mediation business is all about ;to avoid his day in court
    unlike you,hansie,whom rumour monger has already found you guilty.Of what,it's hard to fathom--maybe the club being successful is the crime!

vCash
    Surely if he is mediating it's because he's worried that if it went all the way to court he would stand a fair chance of being found guilty?? If there was no crime, why mediate??

At the risk of being accused of being unpatriotic again, I think he should be sidelined until the case is over. He has a moral responsibility to set a good example. Old-fashioned though such values may be.

Last edited by Alison; 24-07-12 at 18:59.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Surely if he is mediating it's because he's worried that if it went all the way to court he would stand a fair chance of being found guilty?? If there was no crime, why mediate??

At the risk of being accused of being unpatriotic again, I think he should be sidelined until the case is over. He has a moral responsibility to set a good example. Old-fashioned though such values may be.
    not always, its sometimes just easier to mediate then having potential court cases drag out over small details, especially in high profile circumstances

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansie View Post
    Hang on guys....he hasn't had his day in court yet...you're all convinced he's guilty. Even Fulvio would agree "he's innocent until proven guilty".
    what crap .. we're not putting him in jail, we're just asking he shouldn't be playing for such an esteemed privilege group as the wallabies!

Last edited by Happy; 25-07-12 at 07:17. Reason: spelling
    Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Champion
    vCash
    He's high profile and there are ample examples of punters out there, having a go at high profile people and raising false accusations. Maybe a good tactic for opposition teams is to set up 2 or 3 high profile players, by sending in some clowns, ruffle our boy's feathers, they retaliate, hit the headlines and "bang" they're out of a crunch match 'cos there's a cloud over them????

vCash
    As Captain Mannering would say, I think your getting into the realms of fantasy with your conspiracy theory here Hansie. The were on Bribie Island, pissed and asked to leave. He elbowed the bouncer on the way out. He's being treated differently because he's such a good player.

Sadly I think there may be a bit more too it than just that. I think they are not prepared to draw any more immediate lines in the sand because the generation playing today behave differently. It's right through society and across most Test playing countries.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    As Captain Mannering would say, I think your getting into the realms of fantasy with your conspiracy theory here Hansie. The were on Bribie Island, pissed and asked to leave. He elbowed the bouncer on the way out. He's being treated differently because he's such a good player.

Sadly I think there may be a bit more too it than just that. I think they are not prepared to draw any more immediate lines in the sand because the generation playing today behave differently. It's right through society and across most Test playing countries.
    You're dead right on that last bit Shasta - look at the appalling behaviour of some of the England rugby players at the RWC and since! Disgraceful!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast