Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does the Western Force need David Pocock?

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash

Does the Western Force need David Pocock?

I am going to cop it from all corners with this one.

But please - have a think about these points first.

Please don't get me wrong or misunderstand me - I truly believe that David Pocock is a great player and I want him to remain here at the Western Force. But..........

• To encourage David Pocock to stay at the Western Force he has been given a say in the recruitment of the new Western Force Coach(apparently)

Isn't this the same thing that James (the brand) (take 2 of these and call me in the morning)( Swisse Cheese) O'Connor asked for as part of his negotiations with the Western Force?

• A Great player doesnt make a great team. Nor does having a great player on a team equate to Winning games.

Just ask Matt Gitteau. After Matt Gitteau's arrival at the Western Force with all the trumpeting of a conquering hero The Western Force didnt exactly plant themselves in the top 4 of the Super 14 Premiership Table. And Gitteau was great - just ask him.

• Do we want a player that would rather be somewhere else?

This is the exact same reason why we ditched Richard Graham. He was happy to stay as our coach for the rest of the season.

• David Pocock is irreplaceable.

IF David Pocock was to go - we still have 3 Wallaby Quality back rowers in Brown, McCalmain and Hodgson.

At the end of the day - were we (the Force) to lose David Pocock I will be upset. But - it is not the end of the world, and the longer this will he or wont he goes on I wonder if he is doing more harm then good?

There is no "I" in TEAM - but there is an "I" in MEAT PIE and MEAT is an anagram of TEAM.

let the shooting begin.....................

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    put it this way Exile,the team will be a dam site better with him ,than without him

vCash
    There is always the next big thing coming through

Hooper......wallaby in his first season of super rugby

Liam Gill - a no name 6 months ago and got the most pilfers in super rugby 2012

I would like him to stay, but there is always another

You must have an abundant mindset in life

Rex

Controversy corner

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    We need a strong coaching team and a strong on-field team. Of course no one individual is greater than the team but David Pocock seems (to me) to have his head screwed on properly and is/will be a credit to whatever team he plays with.

David, I gather you've seen the disenchantment we've had over the years with the various "stars" and disappointments. What we need is a team of strong, determined people (both on and off the field) who will stick with the through thick and thin (much like most of the TWF crew).

Personally I gather that your trials and tribulations through life have helped tough you up. We've had a number of people come through and they haven't necessarily worked out, but we, the supporters, will support our team through the many hard times as well as the the good. If we didn't, there wouldn't be any InnFORCERs tours. If we weren't so firm in our support, Matt Hodgson might not commit so readily.

I realise this probably sounds like a drunken, rambling post and perhaps it is. I've seen over a few years Matt Giteau, James O'Connor, Ryan Cross, Cameron Shepherd etc etc come and go. Sometimes they work out, sometime they don't. We've had Brendan Cannon, Nathan Sharpe, David Pocock, Richard Brown, Brett Sheehan, James Stannard also, along with any number of others.

I am sick and tired of the constant media BS, every year denigrating the because they need to write something to fill up the paper. I am also sick and tired of the constant "get the ball, kick it away, get the ball, kick it away, rinse repeat ad nauseum".

We, the need a strong team on and off the field, and if the people responsible can't be bothered to live up to that, they they can go away and give other, more passionate and determined people a chance to show that rugby doesn't just belong in the eastern states of Australia.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Exile, I agree.
    As much as it would hurt if Bam was to leave, so be it.
    He will do what he thinks is best for him and his family.
    I just hope he realises what a great place WA is and the respect in which he is held by us bunch of has beans (in my case)

May the FORCE be with you!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I don't really care if he goes or stays. He's a player whose selection with the Force would always be guaranteed. If love of the club isn't enough to keep him here there is no point staying.

I'd hope Matt Hodgson has a few years in him yet. How is Richard Hardwick going in the local comp?

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Champion
    vCash
    He is meant to be the captain, a captain should be the one leading the way in creating a culture. That would mean he bleeds blue and wouldn't be looking at other clubs after his first season of captain. I understand the reasons behind him doing so BUT he is the captain and a captain of any team should be a club man committed to the club through the thick and thin.

He has more say into a team and how its run then most, he uses his team for promotion of his own side projects - his charities yet even after all this he still isnt 100% committed to the organisation. I'd rather 22 players representing the force that would do anything to be on the pitch.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Of course we need him - every team needs a strong openside flanker, they come in pretty handy.

The cynic in me thinks the captaincy and giving him a say in the future coach (although what weight this 'say' actually carries is questionable) was thrust on him to 'guilt' him into staying, although whether or not leaving was on the cards or not - only David would know. Comparing him to O'Connor who apparently demanded that he have a say in coach and player recruitment is a bit unfair.

You shouldn't be bound to a job just because you've been promoted. He's married with hopefully another 10 years of Rugby in him - he should do what's best for him and his family.

Sharpe is leaving after 7 years at [arguably] the top of his game and no one is questioning his loyalty - why would anyone question Pocock's?

I have little doubt that whatever decision he makes, it will be done thoughtfully after weighing everything up, the guy has integrity.

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Pocock is a man of huge stature on and off the field. He has great influence over other players. We could build a winning culture around his leadership. He can be a magnet for developing players.

Do we "need" him? Depends on your definition.

Do we want him to stay? DEFINITELY

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pruc View Post
    yet even after all this he still isnt 100% committed to the organisation.
    What do you mean Pruc? I have never ever seen him give anything but 100% on the field. What more do you want? Have him tattoo the Western Force emblem on his backside?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post

I have little doubt that whatever decision he makes, it will be done thoughtfully after weighing everything up, the guy has integrity.
    Integrity is Poey's middle name. JOC probably couldn't even spell it.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeJay View Post
    What do you mean Pruc? I have never ever seen him give anything but 100% on the field. What more do you want? Have him tattoo the Western Force emblem on his backside?
    Im not questioning his on field performance, but off field. the club has had an average year at best needs some security moving forward and he hasn't committed. Theres other in the team that are in the leadership group that have put there hand up to commit to the force yet still waiting for the captain - the leader of the club to sign.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Sharpe is leaving after 7 years at [arguably] the top of his game and no one is questioning his loyalty - why would anyone question Pocock's?
    Sharpe is not signing with another team. There is a big difference.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    There is no "I" in TEAM .............
    Wanna bet!

vCash
    Spoke to some people on Friday and the general feeling was that Pocock has already made his mind up 7 weeks ago and they could not understand what he is waiting for .......

My view is that the Force will be better of without him in the long run. He is good on the field but that is where it ends. The only reason he became captain was to try and keep him in the west He is not a leader on or of the field He has done only what he gets paid for and nothing more and has been very demanding in regards to his charity.
    No one is bigger than the game ..............

The Force will miss him for a while but they will sure enough fill the void he leaves with someone else.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast