Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SARU postpone meeting to decide on Kings in 2013

vCash

SARU postpone meeting to decide on Kings in 2013

The South African Rugby Union (SARU) have announced that the meeting in which the five South African teams for the 2013 Super Rugby season would be decided has been postponed.

The ordinary general meeting scheduled for July the 13th has been postponed but SARU have yet to reveal when the meeting will be rescheduled to leaving the Lions, Cheetahs and Southern Kings in limbo.

The Southern Kings have been guaranteed a spot in the 2013 season's SA conference, while the participation of the other four teams still had to be decided.

While SARU have guaranteed the Southern Kings participation in Super Rugby for 2013 they also stated that the Kings inclusion would not come at the expense of one of the existing teams.

SARU said in a statement that the meeting was postponed on request from the majority of the provincial unions.

http://www.rugbyweek.com/news/article.asp?id=35791

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    The whole thing is a farce.
    However, I hope they end up on our fixture list.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    A stupid idea to guarantee the Kings a spot before finalising how they would fit into the comp. I'd personally like to see the Cheetahs continue as they've been extremely entertaining this year. Sorry Lions...

We should run a book or something on what will happen...vbookie?

Lions out $1.10
    Cheetahs out $5
    Cats in $2.30
    Bulls out $500
    Stormers out $500
    Sharks out $500?

coz Stone Cold says so

vCash
    It is a joke and I feel sorry for the Lions - I still remember Francois Pienaar hoisting the old Super 10 trophy in a packed Ellis Park back in 1993.

If they do get kicked out hopefully they can step back, reinvigorate and then, if Super Rugby expands, relaunch in a way that doesn't involve crowds of 4000 people turning up to a 60 000 seat stadium to see perpetual failure - even if it means using a new name.

Or maybe they have something else in mind: "Everyone says that relegation is a good principle and they use examples in soccer and other rugby tournaments like the Heineken Cup. But there isn’t a fall-back tournament in SA … and without that you have to create something. I believe there is an opportunity with the South American and Japanese teams where you can put something together."

http://www.businessday.co.za/article...aspx?id=175742

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I'd argue that there isn't a good example of relegation in International level Rugby though.
    Relegation sees playing squads decimated and sponsors flee.
    The inevitable is that players and sponsors that want longevity in the code migrate allegiances to the "strong" clubs, further complicating the plight of the tail enders as they are left to negotiate with journeymen players and marginal sponsors. A self perpetuating demise.
    Football, similar issues but far greater pool of both to draw from.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Rotating teams? Lions out next year, Sharks the year after, then the Stormers, Bulls, Cheetahs, and Kings (alphabetical order!)

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    See previous post...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Unless they have six teams playing as equals, I can't see any scenario that doesn't weaken SA Rugby.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    I'd argue that there isn't a good example of relegation in International level Rugby though.
    The inevitable is that players and sponsors that want longevity in the code migrate allegiances to the "strong" clubs, further complicating the plight of the tail enders as they are left to negotiate with journeymen players and marginal sponsors. A self perpetuating demise.
    That's pretty much what the Lions CEO was getting at - Super Rugby is the cash cow and if you're not in that you're screwed.

vCash
    Unless they have six teams playing as equals, I can't see any scenario that doesn't weaken SA Rugby.
    Personally I don't mind them having six teams as long as it doesn't screw up the other two conferences - i.e. we still play the same amount of games but we just play 4 out of 6 South African teams instead of 4 out of 5.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    Personally I don't mind them having six teams as long as it doesn't screw up the other two conferences - i.e. we still play the same amount of games but we just play 4 out of 6 South African teams instead of 4 out of 5.
    This. Non equal division size isn't that uncommon in sports. I realize it makes ladders and scheduling a little messier, but it can be done without too much hassle.

He was a wise man who invented beer.
    -Plato

Rugby is great. The players don't wear helmets or padding; they just beat the living daylights out of each other and then go for a beer. I love that.
    -Joe Theismann

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    In breaking news, ARU announce Adelaide will have a team in Super 15. Matches to be shared between Adelaide, Darwin and Hobart. Yet to be decided who they will be replacing but will be between Perth, Melbourne and less likely Canberra.

In breaking news, NZRU announce North Harbour will have a team in Super 15. Matches to be shared between Albany, Rotorua and New Plymouth. Yet to be decided who they will be replacing but will be between Blues, Chiefs and less likely Highlanders.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    agreed, sponsors and players sign on under the proviso they are going to be playing/represented at the elite level, if a club gets relegated, players and sponsors flee... It takes years to build up those relationships again

vCash
    i think dropping the Lions will make the most sense out of all the SA teams and not just because they are the worst performing but also because they occupy the same Province as the Bulls. Although their so called "footprint" is different it will help demarcate by provincial lines rather than random population centres as they do currently.
    eg: Stormers = Western Cape , Kings = Eastern Cape, Sharks = Kwazulu-Natal, Cheetahs = Orange Free State, Bulls = Gauteng (the smaller provinces can be apportioned accordingly)

however...

the idea that they just be included in a Super16 comp is the most appealing to me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    i think dropping the Lions will make the most sense out of all the SA teams and not just because they are the worst performing but also because they occupy the same Province as the Bulls. Although their so called "footprint" is different it will help demarcate by provincial lines rather than random population centres as they do currently.
    eg: Stormers = Western Cape , Kings = Eastern Cape, Sharks = Kwazulu-Natal, Cheetahs = Orange Free State, Bulls = Gauteng (the smaller provinces can be apportioned accordingly)

however...

the idea that they just be included in a Super16 comp is the most appealing to me.

Sell that to foxtel

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast