Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Perth's New Super Stadium

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    How many trees were knocked down to make Mueller Park 100 years ago? And isn't a sports field a big green open space? besides, once it's complete, Subi Oval could be demolished to make a new parkland

East Perth is pretty close to me now, and I used to live about 200 metres from the old power station, but there aren't any pubs [easy] walking distance - I think it would make a great location.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Maybe I am not understanding all the facts here but if the new 'multi purpose' stadium is going to be at Mueller Park - does that mean that the old Subi stadium will be demolished? If so, then all the trees can be transplanted to the new park that was originally Subi oval? - I am aware that this sort of exercise has been done before for other environmentally sensitive projects...
    Bring it on I say for the love of sport in general and putting sport in WA back on the map!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    yes but knocking down 100 yr old trees and replacing them with 10 month old trees won't win you any votes. Cockburn all the way - we have no trees down here plus I'll put on beers and a bbq before and after each Force and international game!!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy
    The old "not in my backyard" syndrome!!!!!

Thoughts?
    As real estate agent, I am contunually bemused by people who aquire property and then have the audacity to complain about long standing surrounding businesses and activites. Like the new Northbrige residents that once they moved into their luxury apartments in the heart of the entertainment area and realised that all those clubs and pubs play loud music to the wee hours and people are often intoxicated and loud on the streets below.....I say bad luck, shut up or move on, don't complain. The same goes for East Perth residents, they lived with a terrible eye sore for years, continually lobbied council to have it revitalised, and now they are doing something about it they are still not happy. I would be very suprised to know of any resident that has lived near or beside a pub, hotel, playing field etc that moved into that house prior to the pub, hotel etc being opened. 99% of them were there before any of the current residents were. I was taught a very important latin saying when I started this career 14 years ago "caveat emptor" which translates to "let the buyer beware".....you have been warned.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    and while not surprisingly the sub residents don't want their park removed .. they are quoted in today's paper and saying it has noongar significance.. oh how the wheel has turned - maybe the Woggil(sp?) will pop up and save the day for Subi??

convenient timing don't you think..

vCash
    I was thinking more along the lines of actually physically relocating the trees (as opposed to planting new ones) - as this has been done for other sensitive projects in the past...

PS I totally agree with you InnForcer! "caveat emptor" <-- nice one

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    If there was a commitment to relocate the trees to the Subi stadium land making the land into a park then I would be all for the new stadium being located in the Muellar park location. However, I don't think that will be a viable option as the trees would have to be relocated twice, once to build the new stadium and second time after the Subi stadium was demolished. I'm no hippy but I don't think using the Muellar Park land is an acceptable option if it means the reduction of park land.

East Perth sounds like the go and I don't think the residents will have much leverage based on their previous stance. Might be a good time for somebody to open a pub there.

Just happy to be here

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    You could also put Steves Hotel and the OBH into that line.
    Oh, and Claremont Speedway. All have been given a lot of grief or shut down .

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    They shut down the OBH - NOoooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    No, the OBH is in the grief section.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Who the hell is Langoulant anyway other than a Liberal Party lackey who jumped before he got pushed? Cockburn is the only logical site for the new stadium - Greenfield site, close to the city, plenty of surrounding open space, plenty of parking, close to freeway, close to railway, no heritage issues, no sacred sites, no environmental issues, potential for integrated town planning. What else do they need? It is time the government began making its own decisions and stopped passing the responsibility to Western Suburbs interest groups. It's time the blue rinse set realised that this is currently a Labor state and the Government has the power to make decisions based on common sense, not their particular self interest. It's time the government developed a set of testes. I have never seen so much dribble as I have read on this forum - moving trees from Mueller Park to Subiaco oval for Pete's sake! Get real, get over it, and move to Cockburn.

vCash
    Can someone tell me why Cock Burn is so great??
    Apart from wide open spaces what else has it to offer?

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    I give up.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Cockburn may be and idealists (well, South of the River residents' anyway) solution however it is probably 20-30 years ahead of it's "time".
    People bang on about the future population growth etc for the southern corridor with some expectation that the north is going to stop growing and Cockburn is going to become the new CBD.
    Facts are that firstly the north is also booming to balance the southern growth and secondly, the rugby player and club population is also in those dreaded older suburbs.
    Until that changes (or Perth booms enough to support two such venues) the Perth-Fremantle corridor will remain the physical and "spiritual" centre of our State.
    It would make as much planning sense to build it in Midland or Joondalup as it would Cockburn at this stage.
    Keep complaining and we'll blow the bridges before next season.
    Get real, get over it, and get building where it belongs.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut
    I give up.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast