Thread: Pocock pulls on green guernsey

vCash

Pocock pulls on green guernsey

WALLABIES captain David Pocock has thrown his support behind the carbon tax, saying Australia has a responsibility to lead the way for a cleaner, greener future.

The 24-year-old WA Young Australian of the Year said he didn't expect everyone to agree with him, but said he was prepared to back the tax because it was a major milestone.

While he concedes it is not the "perfect model", Pocock urged the public to get behind it.

Read more: http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/west...-1226413098773

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    And here is the great man himself.....

[ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rMfyOkIgoTI"]YouTube - David Pocock proud Australia is tackling climate change[/ame]

vCash
    If Ithought for ONE minute the tax would make a difference I would get behind it!

vCash
    Eloquently put forward by David and good on him for speaking his mind and with his reasons, however have to agree with Hetryk not sure it is going to help as the tax is being passed down rather than the polluters as David said actually making changes to pass on the cost, if they had to absorb it they may find ways to improve it this way not much will happen except the man in the street paying more for the same polluted product

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Respect his right to an opinion, but a little funny coming from someone that clocks up as much air travel a year as he does. The implicit assumption is that somehow the tax will sort things out with no or little effect on everyone, but that isn't how it works. Some will notice little effect on their lifestyle, or none they can't afford. Others will lose their livelihoods, if not a great deal more. That is how these things work, just as they did when they shut down the coal mines in Britain. The effects of that were extensive and continue to resonate even now, and that was only one industry rather than everything. It may be worth it and completely justified, but you have to be bloody certain because it is peoples lives you are messing with.

vCash
    He may offset the air travel emissions in some way? The airlines seem to offer that option when booking these days.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Respect his right to an opinion, but a little funny coming from someone that clocks up as much air travel a year as he does. The implicit assumption is that somehow the tax will sort things out with no or little effect on everyone, but that isn't how it works. Some will notice little effect on their lifestyle, or none they can't afford. Others will lose their livelihoods, if not a great deal more. That is how these things work, just as they did when they shut down the coal mines in Britain. The effects of that were extensive and continue to resonate even now, and that was only one industry rather than everything. It may be worth it and completely justified, but you have to be bloody certain because it is peoples lives you are messing with.
    thats the point i was going to raise, air travel clock up serious carbon, maybe poey doesnt notice it as someone else pays for his travel!...... its laughable

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4Q9Wv10Ho"]Penn & Teller : Crap - Global Warming - YouTube[/ame]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Others will lose their livelihoods.
    .......and I'll almost certainly be one of them. But I agree with David. Admittedly whe it comes, I'll be one of the lucky ones who will be compensated because of my employment contract. But like many, I suspect, the intro to a Carbon Trading regime will be blamed for our job losses, rather than the real culprit. Lazily running a business into the ground to squeeze out every possible dividend and managerial benchmark, rather than investing in clean technology (as the Shastas have done). Much easier to import, blame somebody else and worry about what to do if the A$ comes back to about 80-90 later. Probably someone else's problem by then anyway.

I want a future for my grand children and theirs. I don't want people to bullshit me and tell me everything is going to be OK if we all just put our collective heads in the sand and ignore the monster under the bead. Nothing is ever that easy.

FX puts soap box away. Time to knock off, head home and watch Souffs beat Penrith.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Maybe RWA would get a tax break if the built a decent stadium with a nice new lawn to do some sequestering...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    LISTEN TO THE START OF THIS CLOSELY.

He says "my name is David Pocock and I play for the Wallabys"

Shouldn't he have said "I play for the Wallabys and Western Force" if he intends to stay in Perth.

I hope i'm wrong.......

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chopper1 View Post

Shouldn't he have said "I play for the Wallabys and Western Force" if he intends to stay in Perth.

I hope i'm wrong.......
    clutching

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chopper1 View Post

I hope i'm wrong.......
    I think he's wanting to reach as broad an audience as he can with his message and that's why he just said Wallabies - non-rugby people will identify with the Wallabies, but maybe not with the Western Force.

I wouldn't read anything more into it than that :-)

Champion
    vCash
    I'm sure dave will reduce his carbon foot print in other ways. Anyway would his carbon footprint be different to, say , a professional racing car driver? Or many other occupations