Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: BRUMBIES SPOIL SHARPE HOME FAREWELL

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

BRUMBIES SPOIL SHARPE HOME FAREWELL

The Emirates Western Force was unable to provide inaugural captain Nathan Sharpe with a winning home farewell from nib Stadium tonight despite a spirited second-half comeback, eventually going down to the Brumbies 28-17.

Sharpe, playing in his 161st Super Rugby match and 91st for the West Australian province, led his side onto the field accompanied by his sons Cooper and Franklin, however his side was unable to provide a fairy tale finish to his FxPro Super Rugby career in Perth.

“One thing that was great was the support I received from everywhere around the world and I’m very, very grateful for that because it was really nice,” Sharpe said. “In the context of the game it’s disappointing because you want to win those games, and unfortunately it didn’t go that way for us and so it makes it a bit bittersweet.”

The first half was a one-sided affair with the Brumbies dominating possession and field position, and converting it into a 22-0 half time lead.

The visitors were on the scoreboard after just two minutes when winger Jesse Mogg sliced through to score, with Ben Alexander helping to extend the lead to 12 points when he crashed over nine minutes later.

The task for the Emirates Western Force was compounded when No.8 Matt Hodgson left the field midway through the first term with an ankle injury, before the Brumbies sealed a first-half four-try bonus point with tries to winger Henry Speight and Holmes.

With the game in danger of slipping away from the home side, the Emirates Western Force machine kicked into gear in the second half, running in three-tries-to-nil.

Winger and man-of-the-match Nick Cummins, who was a standout in the first term with his aggressive ball carries and a bone-jarring tackle on Brumby Pat McCabe, was rewarded three minutes after the break when he bumped off one defender to score in the corner.

Eight minutes later fullback Alfie Mafi sparked the home side again when he produced some elusive footwork in counter attack, before delivering a timely short pass to replacement back-rower Lachlan McCaffery in the ensuing phase, who, in turn, put Cummins in for his second touchdown.

With the Emirates Western Force quickly closing the gap, Holmes provided the ACT side with some breathing space through a 56th-minute penalty goal, before the Force hit back through a Toby Lynn try to reduce the margin to eight points. With the West Australians finding ascendancy through the second half, they opted for a lineout from a penalty, with the bearded New Zealand-born lock finding himself at the back of a rolling maul to register his first five-pointer for the Emirates Western Force.

While replacement flyhalf Dave Harvey’s conversion brought the score to 25-17, a Holmes penalty goal with seven minutes left on the clock ensured the margin remained too great for the Emirates Western Force to cover.

Emirates Western Force Defence & Skills Coach Phil Blake said that while he was pleased to see his side fight back in the second half, the damage had been done by the 40-minute mark.

“Matches are hard to win as it is without giving up 22 points,” he said. “It was disappointing; it was nice they came back in the second half through sheer weight of possession and respect for the ball and scored some nice tries, but unfortunately it was that first half that let us down.

“We had no field position. I didn’t think our kicking was a problem, I thought our biggest problem throughout the night was our missed tackles. Our first-up tackles were ineffective, particularly in the first half, they were going through us and hence leading to tries.

“In the second half, we kept the ball, we strung phases together, we asked questions of the defensive line, we cracked down that wall and we scored points and kept the scoreboard ticking over.

“[Losing Matt Hodgson] was a big blow which didn’t help us but I thought Locky McCaffery played quite well when he was out there and gave us a different dimension to our game.”

The Emirates Wester Force will depart for New Zealand on Tuesday before taking on the Blues at Eden Park on Saturday, 7 July.

2012 FxPro Super Rugby – Week 19
    Saturday, 30 June 2012 at nib Stadium, Perth
    Kick-off: 5.40pm (AWST)

Emirates Western Force 17 (Tries: N Cummins 2; Toby Lynn; Con: D Harvey 1/1, B Seymour 0/2)
    Brumbies 28 (Tries: H Speight, J Mogg, Z Holmes, B Alexander; Con: Z Holmes 1/4; Pen: Z Holmes 2/3)

Emirates Western Force: 1.Pek Cowan, 2.Nathan Charles, 3.Salesi Manu, 4.Toby Lynn, 5.Nathan Sharpe, 6. Richard Brown, 7.David Pocock (c), 8.Matt Hodgson, 9. Josh Holmes, 10. Ben Seymour, 11.Napolioni Nalaga, 12. Rory Sidey, 13.Will Tupou, 14. Nick Cummins, 15. Alfie Mafi. Res: 16.Elvis Taione, 17.Ruan Smith, 18. Lachlan McCaffery, 19. Oliver Atkins, 20. Brett Sheehan, 21. David Harvey, 22.Patrick Dellit

Brumbies: 1.Ben Alexander, 2.Stephen Moore, 3.Dan Palmer, 4.Scott Fardy, 5.Sam Carter, 6.Peter Kimlin, 7.Michael Hooper, 8.Ben Mowen (c), 9.Nic White, 10.Zack Holmes, 11.Jesse Mogg, 12.Pat McCabe, 13.Andrew Smith, 14.Henry Speight, 15.Robbie Coleman, Res: 16.Anthony Hegarty, 17.Ruaidhri Murphy, 18.Leon Power, 19.Ita Vaea, 20.Ian Prior, 21. Tevita Kuridrani, 22.Cam Crawford

Yellow Cards: nil
    Red Cards: nil
    Referee: Ian Smith
    Crowd: 13, 571

By the Clock

Min Details Score
    2 Jesse Mogg Try 0 - 5
    4 Zack Holmes Missed Con 0 - 5
    11 Ben Alexander Try 0 - 10
    12 Zack Holmes Conversion 0 - 12
    28 Zack Holmes Missed PG 0 - 12
    29 Henry Speight Try 0 - 17
    31 Zack Holmes Missed Con 0 - 17
    38 Zack Holmes Try 0 - 22
    39 Zack Holmes Missed Con 0 - 22
    43 Nick Cummins Try 5 - 22
    45 Ben Seymour Missed Con 5 - 22
    51 Nick Cummins Try 10 - 22
    52 Ben Seymour Missed Con 10 - 22
    56 Zack Holmes Penalty Goal 10 - 25
    68 Toby Lynn Try 15 - 25
    69 David Harvey Conversion 17 - 25
    73 Zack Holmes Penalty Goal 17 - 28

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    If Blake didn't think our kicking was the problem, he's not a provincial level coach. Our kicks were poorly placed, rarely chased and generally ineffective.

C'mon the

Rookie
    vCash

"Don't kick the f**king ball"

What is with all this kicking bombs straight up and straight down into the arms of the opposition?
    What happened to the idea of possession?

Nearly joined the mini exodus out the eastern gate at half-time (when it was zip:22), but luckily stayed on to see the second half fight-back.

Next comes the hard decision - to renew or not - but at least that decision doesn't have to be made until October. Does anyone know if the cost of memberships is likely to go up in 2013?

vCash
    New rule:
    If you kick it you go and get it.
    Poor tackling and ludicrous kicking gave it to the ponies on a platter in the first half. In the second half whenever Nalanga and Honey badger had the nags running scared a stupid kick took the pressure off them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrevorM View Post
    ...Next comes the hard decision - to renew or not - but at least that decision doesn't have to be made until October. Does anyone know if the cost of memberships is likely to go up in 2013?
    They will be going up. There will even be a new category of membership: Carbon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrevorM View Post
    Next comes the hard decision - to renew or not - but at least that decision doesn't have to be made until October. Does anyone know if the cost of memberships is likely to go up in 2013?
    They wouldn't bloody want to! There will be a mass exodus of members next year as it stands, if the prices go up, they won't need to worry about rushing to finish the eastern stand redevelopment, 9500 will be enough.

C'mon the

vCash
    If the price of membership goes up I won't renew! I am but a standing area member but that $180 could get me drunk much easier than it does at the ground!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Player
    vCash
    Absolute shocker the people who are running the show need to be replaced as what they are doing is not right stop signing has been players and show some faith in local talent get your act together or you will see a mass departure of supporters leaving next season.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Watched the recording of the aftermatch and almost choked when Sharpie said something along the lines of "we couldn't get our hands on the ball in the first half". You have to think they are slow learners - the first box kick cost us a try, not one single kick was recovered through the whole game, yet it remains their go-to tactic??!! If you didn't know better, you'd swear they were giving the Brumbies an opposed training run, shovelling the ball back so that they could practice their attack patterns. Moronic play, to my mind not improved at all by the second half...who cares what happens once the game is already over. It's shake the head yet again and move on, almost a little relieved that it is over for the year.

vCash
    I didn't like the way they played either. They are a rudderless ship.with no skipper ATM. Things need to change. I'm hoping they will and I'm gonna give it at least another few years, hopefully with a more realistic set of recruiting regulations.
    I know it's frustrating, but the likes of Hodgo, Ben Mac, Cheese....are staying strong. So HTFU re-up and don't become a bunch of pissant supporters like that powder blue shower.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    I agree shasta, it has been an absolute shit last couple of years, but I am not so piss-week as to pull the pin yet. Let's get the new coach in play and see if he can turn things around.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Was almost dissappoiting to hear the boo's when one kick took place, understand why they did but not something i would take part in. However it did highlight pretty well the complete and overwhelming dislike to that favoured part of the Force's game plan.

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I also for one will rejoin, no way i am walking put on the force!

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    the hard times make the good ones that much better!

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    Was almost dissappoiting to hear the boo's when one kick took place, understand why they did but not something i would take part in. However it did highlight pretty well the complete and overwhelming dislike to that favoured part of the Force's game plan.
    Game plan ?!!??!??!!? That was a "game plan"?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast