Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hopefuls must impress Pocock

vCash

Hopefuls must impress Pocock

Western Force captain David Pocock will be allowed to have one-on-one meetings with the club's coaching candidates as part of the selection process.

The unusual move shows just how much the club wants to keep the star Wallaby flanker and his opinion will carry great weight in the appointment of a new coach.

The first interview by the selection panel will be conducted in the next few days, with Pocock away on Wallabies duty.

Scott Staniforth, a Force foundation player and the players' representative on the board, is part of the selection panel.

Pocock has spoken to the five candidates and will be able to have further talks with them, Force chief executive Vern Reid said.

Pocock's contract with the Force runs until the end of the year and he has maintained that he will not make a decision on his future until after the Super season ends and the successor to Richard Graham, who defected mid-season to the Queensland Reds, is appointed.

"David will follow the process through to the end. This is an important decision for us and an important decision for David. I'm very comfortable with his involvement," Reid said.

The five candidates will be interviewed in Perth. Reid said the Force would be in a position to make a decision in about two weeks.

"The interviews will all be carried out face to face," Reid said.

The candidates have been offered the opportunity to talk to other squad players. One has already refused the offer.

The list is believed to include former Australian assistant coach Scott Johnson, who is currently Scotland's backs coach, Michael Cheika, who was with French club Stade Francais, former Ireland and US coach Eddie O'Sullivan, Force foundation assistant coach John Mulvihill and former Wallabies assistant Tim Lane.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...mpress-pocock/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    “Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    The one who has "already refused the offer" to meet players in the squad sounds like a great prospect! Not!! (unless he has a jolly good excuse as to why he's turned down the offer)

vCash
    I have nothong but admiration for David. But I have to admit I'm starting to get the tiniest of alarm bells ringing about prospective coaches being "offered the chance to meet players". Unless they requested it.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    please not mulvihill

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Johnson or Lane for mine.

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    As long as this means that DP's staying....
    Posted via Mobile Device

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    please not mulvihill
    By memory he was the coach for Perth spirit?, care to elaborate why not him? I think he did well with Spirit

Perth via Pittsburgh USA via London England
    vCash
    Yeah I'd have crossed that guy off the list right away, apparently he won't take any player input and that is a sign of a dictator type coach which has a very short shelf life. We need a coach that knows how to be open but stern. I don't want a players coach either because players take the inch and go a mile. I want a coach who can lay the law down but still have a rapport with the players.

You can scratch my back with a hacksaw!

Perth via Pittsburgh USA via London England
    vCash
    My choice is Lane or at the very least Johnson.

You can scratch my back with a hacksaw!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wqerti View Post
    By memory he was the coach for Perth spirit?, care to elaborate why not him? I think he did well with Spirit
    he was described to a few of us one evening as "a termite" by sauces that shall remain un-named

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    please not mulvihill
    Have you read Openside? Pocock praised Mulvihill quite highly as a coach from memory.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Oh yeah that's right.

I bet he is the one that did not want to meet with players either.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandgroperrugby View Post
    Have you read Openside? Pocock praised Mulvihill quite highly as a coach from memory.
    no not yet .. I will though...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I have nothong but admiration for David. But I have to admit I'm starting to get the tiniest of alarm bells ringing about prospective coaches being "offered the chance to meet players". Unless they requested it.
    Why Shasta? Don't they need to know the team before being able to decide if it's the right gig for them, i.e. whether they'll be able to make a success of the job?

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    maybe Shasta's point (and feel free to tell me I'm wrong) is that it smells a bit of Gitteaugate, sorry coach the players don't like you.. bye bye

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast