Thread: Nathan Sharpe: Wisdom from the mouth of babes

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Nathan Sharpe: Wisdom from the mouth of babes

{} {}, The West Australian
    May 22, 2012, 6:42 am

I had an extremely grounding conversation after our one-point loss to the Rebels.

It was Superhero Sunday at nib Stadium and as I drove my sons Cooper, 5, and Frankie, 3, home after the game, one dressed as Spiderman, the other dressed as Superman with his red undies riding way too high, my elder son asked me why I was so sad.

Being so young, Cooper obviously didn't understand what had happened or even really know the result, so I simply told him that it was because we had lost another close game. There is no doubt I was despondent until he managed to put it into perspective.

"It's all right dad, you have just gotta keep going, and when you play next week, try even harder," he said.

He also pointed out that it would help if I scored some tries, which makes perfect sense too.

It was such a simple statement and there is no doubt that the Western Force turn up with endeavour each week. However, we need more than that to ever seriously threaten this competition.

In the short term, what we need to solve is the back-to-back mistakes that cost us each game.

There are not many teams that score a try and at the same time give away a penalty on halfway like we did and this compounding of errors has bugged us all season.

I'm not sure which is worse, having a game slip from your grasp after wresting back control, or not being in the contest to begin with.

We seem to enjoy giving the Rebels a handy start whenever we play them and then attempt to reel them back in.

As much as it makes for an exciting game for the fans, I'd rather have it in the bag with 20 to go.

The search for players and head coach must have this in mind, as harnessing the energy everyone puts into the club more efficiently is our only way forward.

Meanwhile, former coach John Mitchell returns to Perth this weekend with his Lions from Johannesburg. No doubt he will be catching up with old friends.

A lot has changed since his time at the Force, including new headquarters and a new stadium.

He always coached an expansive game, adamant that there had to be a winger in the five-metre channels to utilise the width of the field.

We play a far tighter game these days but we expect the Lions to throw the ball around. Their success in the 2011 Currie Cup is testament to his style of game.

Two weeks from today Australia take on Scotland in the first-ever series of inbound Tests through the middle of the Super tournament.

That game in Newcastle will be followed by a Test against Wales in Brisbane the next Saturday.

It will be a test not only for the players but for the coaching staff to manage the group through this time.

Four Tests in three weeks will challenge Australia's depth but will be excellent for the development.

Usually the northern hemisphere countries send second-rate sides at this time of year but in a first they are sending full-strength sides.

As for Sunday, putting my two little superheroes down to bed after the game reminded me that regardless of the outcome, it was a great day out in front of our crowd.

As my son said, there is always next week to pick yourself up, dust yourself off and come again. Who knows, I might even manage a try.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...outh-of-babes/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Another great article by the great man.

Gives me hope that their is still light at the end of the tunnel, good on you little Sharpie, giving the old man and some of us others a reality check that we all needed!

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Veteran
    vCash
    it also reminds us about the mental anguish the team is also going through. No one likes losing, especially like that. For all those who think they don't care, here is the proof that they do.

vCash
    Should we read anything into his references to John Mitchell's style of play?? Does even Sharpie think the EWF lost its way under the inglorious coaching of RG??

vCash
    I'm not au fait with what people here think of Mitchells coaching, but I have to say the Force played a more entertaining and exhilarating style than they do now, and it is interesting to see Sharpie acknowledge the difference.

I know a lot of people say the Lions play like we did back then (and are last), but I never had a problem with Mitchell and was very disturbed at the lack of support he received from the board over Quokkagate, Fisticuffsgate and Giteuaundermininghtecoachesauthorityinamisguidedbe liefinplayerpowergate, putting him on probation etc.

vCash
    Could not agree more Bison.
    Rugby WA undermined their (what should have been) number one asset.
    Maybe that's why we ended up with RG as nobody else would want to work under the constraints that were put on Mitch.

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by palitu View Post
    it also reminds us about the mental anguish the team is also going through. No one likes losing, especially like that. For all those who think they don't care, here is the proof that they do.
    Even players get the "Sea of Blue" blues.

vCash
    I am going to miss that guy......

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingbison View Post
    I'm not au fait with what people here think of Mitchells coaching, but I have to say the Force played a more entertaining and exhilarating style than they do now, and it is interesting to see Sharpie acknowledge the difference.
    It's hard to compare them. We had better backs then. We weren't that much better in 2010 when a handful of those guys moved on.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.