Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Sias Ebersohn

vCash

Sias Ebersohn

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/su...-1226370977744

He is the Bloemfontein bench player hired to save Australia's worst rugby franchise.

Sias Ebersohn, a regular reserve for the Cheetahs this year, will be recruited as Western Force's marquee international and five-eighth for next season, ruling out a Perth play for Wallabies star Quade Cooper.

Ebersohn is the Force's first major signing since the departure of coach Richard Graham, who was asked to leave mid-contract after being lured to Queensland Reds for 2013.

Ebersohn, whose twin brother Robert plays in the centres for the Cheetahs, was a regular starter last year but this season has played second fiddle to Johan Goosen (injured) and now Riaan Smit.

His former Cheetahs teammate, New South Wales Waratahs halfback Sarel Pretorius, spoke with him before they played each other in Bloemfontein last weekend.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
    End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

"He asked me to meet with him in South Africa and he asked a lot of questions," Pretorius said.

"He asked about the lifestyle. He is engaged now, so he'll be coming over with his partner. I just told him what I experienced in the first couple of weeks, what I went through.

"Last year he had a good season, this year he's just on the bench.

"The main thing is he just wants to play, and with the Force I think he can get an opportunity. The Force are struggling with a good team at the moment.

"I think Sias is a good player and he can push them in the right direction."

Having been rejected by Will Genia, many expected the Force to target Cooper. Force skipper David Pocock, who remains unsigned for next year, is keen to see the club sign world-class halves.

Ebersohn may not be recognisable enough for Pocock to stay, with rumours growing that he will join the Brumbies next year.

The Force are struggling to attract the game's elite, signified by Genia turning his back at the 11th hour on the richest domestic contract in Australian rugby history.

The Force then missed out on their first South African preference, Peter Grant, when the fly half re-signed with the Stormers last month.

Ebersohn played for the Baby Boks but has not kicked on to become a recognised international.

At just 23, however, he has time on his side.

Questions remain over who will coach the Force next year, with Michael Cheika, Scott Johnson and Eddie O'Sullivan the contenders

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I don't like how it says "will recruite" hopefully not another genia gate.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Champion
    vCash
    who is this "joker" ???

my 2 pet hates with the Western Force at the moment:

1) - We cant look signing any one until a coach for the 2013 season and beyond is signed, his game plan is sorted and then we'll have players who will play for the club, Unless ive had my head somewhere not seeing daylight, we haven't signed a coach yet... so is this another "flyhalf in the world that COULD play for the force" ???!!!

2) - Yet another fringe player. I was getting excited when i heard the news that the Force were interested / about to sign the cheetahs #10, thinking it was Goosen.. then I hear this guy.. a bench player who can't get into the cheetahs side (bench player / #3 flyhalf)

In this particular order, we should be going for the FH.. Goosen > Janties > Catrakilis > Roos

Senior Player
    vCash
    happy enough with this, at least it is something. We don't want superstars we just want players that are super 15 quality and play as a team. If we can get a quality 9 and 12 it will start to round it out nicely.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    who is this "joker" ???

my 2 pet hates with the Western Force at the moment:

1) - We cant look signing any one until a coach for the 2013 season and beyond is signed, his game plan is sorted and then we'll have players who will play for the club, Unless ive had my head somewhere not seeing daylight, we haven't signed a coach yet... so is this another "flyhalf in the world that COULD play for the force" ???!!!

2) - Yet another fringe player. I was getting excited when i heard the news that the Force were interested / about to sign the cheetahs #10, thinking it was Goosen.. then I hear this guy.. a bench player who can't get into the cheetahs side (bench player / #3 flyhalf)

In this particular order, we should be going for the FH.. Goosen > Janties > Catrakilis > Roos

I'd prefer a fringe player who we can develop. As opposed to more of the same
    Posted via Mobile Device

Champion
    vCash
    As long he has signed for 2+years sick of these one season screamers.....

Apprentice
    vCash

Sias Ebersohn - a positive?

HE is the Bloemfontein bench player hired to save Australia's worst rugby franchise.

Sias Ebersohn, a regular reserve for the Cheetahs this year, will be recruited as the Western Force's marquee international and five-eighth for next season, ruling out a Perth play for Wallabies star Quade Cooper.

Ebersohn is the Force's first major signing since the departure of coach Richard Graham, who was asked to leave mid-contract after being lured to Queensland for 2013.

Ebersohn, whose twin brother Robert plays in the centres for the Cheetahs, was a regular starter last year but this season has played second fiddle to Johan Goosen (injured) and now Riaan Smit.

His former Cheetahs teammate, Waratahs halfback Sarel Pretorius, spoke with him before they played each other in Bloemfontein last weekend.

"He asked me to meet with him in South Africa and he asked a lot of questions," Pretorius said.

"He asked about the lifestyle. He is engaged now, so he'll be coming over with his partner. I just told him what I experienced in the first couple of weeks, what I went through.

"Last year he had a good season, this year he's just on the bench.

"The main thing is he just wants to play, and with the Force I think he can get an opportunity. The Force are struggling with a good team at the moment.

"I think Sias is a good player and he can push them in the right direction."

Having been rejected by Will Genia, many expected the Force to target Cooper.

Force skipper David Pocock, who remains unsigned for next year, is keen to see the club sign world-class halves.

Ebersohn may not be recognisable enough for Pocock to stay, with rumours growing that he will join the Brumbies next year.

The Force are struggling to attract the game's elite, signified by Genia turning his back at the 11th hour on the richest domestic contract in Australian rugby history.

The Force then missed out on their first South African preference, Peter Grant, when the fly-half re-signed with the Stormers last month.

Ebersohn played for the Baby Boks but has not kicked on to become a recognised international.

At just 23, however, he has time on his side.

Questions remain over who will coach the Force next year, with Michael Cheika, Scott Johnson and Eddie O'Sullivan the contenders.

Apprentice
    vCash
    woops reposted the article - sorry

a one year signing would be silly.

Veteran
    vCash
    yep, im happy with it... the amount of people sitting there chirping about "get development players and turn them into something great" etc etc, they did that... now be happy they did what you want...

as long as it is longer than 2 years...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha Handy View Post
    happy enough with this, at least it is something. We don't want superstars we just want players that are super 15 quality and play as a team. If we can get a quality 9 and 12 it will start to round it out nicely.
    “It's not as simple as deciding who's your 10. He has to fit in with the players around him. You have to see if he can play with your No9 and No12."
    Jake White quote

Thanks for joining us Jake, great job with the Brumbies, btw doing anything next year?.

vCash
    Yup, we have to start signing players for min 3 years, and great ones expand out to 5 years.

I know an injury in this contact sport can finish a player in an instant, but we have to build a culture, get some continuity going. The way to attract quality players over here is either a truck load of money or a longer term contract, its a no brainer which suits us more.

One year contract are a waste of time, two year contracts don't work because after one year they start looking for a new contract and if they are any good the hyenas come sniffing with a wad of filthy lucre.

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralto View Post
    ..he can play with your No9 and No12...
    seeing as we don't have a 9 or 10 its moot %)

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    I actually quite like him as a player he's reasonably fast, has good vision and a fairly good kick from hand or place.
    I must say I'm totally gob smacked at signings with out a coach in place or is there something in place that we mushrooms haven't heard yet?

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    I think he's a positive, although he's using up the marquee spot. Is he going to be guaranteed a start, and does that mean the team think Seymour can't cut it? And isn't there a limit on the time a marquee can be signed for (eg, we had Pretorius for 2 years, but Dave Smith for only 1).

Getting a 23 year old fly-half looks like you are building for the future, but if we can only get him for 2 years is he supposed to train up an Australian replacement? Harsh on a 23 year old. Or is he a stop-gap measure (of which we've had plenty!) and a notorious history of injuring our marquees!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    I must say I'm totally gob smacked at signings with out a coach in place or is there something in place that we mushrooms haven't heard yet?
    Really there's not much available if the short list is correct. It's easy to sit here and demand the board appoint a fully proven coach. Not so easy when the cupboard is pretty bare. I haven't noticed too many of the usual suspects around here stating who it should be.

The Irishman has been off the radar for a while. IIRC he favours the 10-man type game plan a little too much for us. I don't know how Cheika likes to play. We want an attacking game plan that will allow Ebersohn, Seymour and Mafi to show their wares. I'm feeling positive about them if we can play to suit.

Of the apparently availables, I'd like to see either Todd Louden or Tim lane in the coaching department somewhere. Stiles is doing OK with the engine room and Blake was doing OK with Defence.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast