Thread: Mafi just what the coach ordered

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Mafi just what the coach ordered

Nick Taylor, The West Australian
    May 24, 2012, 7:01 am

Mafi just what the coach ordered
    Western Force coach Phil Blake took Alfie Mafi to one side and gave him some strong words of advice before last Sunday's game against the Rebels.

"He told me that if there was ever a game I had to prove myself in, it was that game," Mafi said.

"I knew I had to perform to keep a spot in the squad. I knew I had to go out there and play good footy."

He obviously took notice of the advice because his introduction at full-back just before half-time was a huge turning point in the heartbreaking one-point loss.

Mafi came off the bench two minutes before the interval after the Rebels had scored their fourth try to go 26-15 ahead.

Five minutes after the restart the fleet-footed Mafi had danced his way to the try-line to help rejuvenate his side.

For the rest of the game he managed to beat first-up tacklers and step his way out of trouble, sending the Force into attack.

Mafi has been underrated by many. His defence has been good, he is exciting with ball in hand, has a willingness to run the ball back at the opposition and has scored three tries, one against the Rebels at home and away, and against the Waratahs at nib Stadium.

Normally a winger, Mafi was first used at full-back by departed coach Richard Graham in the season opener against the Brumbies.

He is expected to hold on to the No.15 jumper for Saturday's home clash with the Lions.

"I'm still trying to get the hang of full-back but I hope I'm doing something right," he said.

"I'm still working on my kicking but I want to establish myself as a runner not a kicker."

Mafi is in his second year with the Force and is signed for 2013. He made 13 appearances in his first season, and 12 this year.

He played nine matches for the Waratahs and seven for the Brumbies, but his career was hindered by two broken ankles and a fractured fibula.

Blake defended his use of Mafi off the bench against the Rebels but praised his effort.

"I'm happy for Alf. He made some great contributions and his impact was certainly there for everyone to see," he said. "We spoke to him throughout the week and we knew he was going to make a difference."

Blake also was happy with the performances of newcomers Samu Wara and Will Tupou.

"Sammy Wara has only been playing rugby for 18 months, He's come ahead leaps and bounds," Blake said.

Lions coach John Mitchell has made two changes to the side that was beaten 34-20 by the Queensland Reds. Loosehead prop CJ Van der Linde replaces JC Janse van Rensburg who has been moved to the bench. Scrum half Tian Meyer starts, with Ross Cronje moving to the reserves.

Lions team: * CJ Van der Linde, Callie Visagie, Patric Cilliers, Franco Van der Merwe, Ruan Botha, Derick Minnie, Grant Hattingh, Joshua Strauss (c), Tian Meyer, Elton Jantjies, Michael Killian, Jaco Taute, Lionel Mapoe, Deon Van Rensburg, Andries Coetzee. Reserves: Martin Bezuidenhout, JC Janse van Rensburg, Cobus Grobbelaar, Jaco Kriel, Ross Cronje, Ruan Combrinck, James Kamana.

I'm still working on my kicking but I want to establish myself as a runner not a kicker." *Alfie Mafi *

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...coach-ordered/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    That's weird - I thought he had already performed pretty well this season.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    and it seems he has signed for 2013

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Good to see he is signe on for next year and hopefully a lot more after that.
    Posted via Mobile Device

---------- Post added at 10:56 ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by WF1964 View Post
    That's weird - I thought he had already performed pretty well this season.
    Phil Blake trying to cover his arse for dropping him to the bench.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    and it seems he has signed for 2013
    Yay.
    With Cam going, what other options do we have at fullback? If Alfi could develop his kicking, the number 15 jersey would be his as it seems we have plenty of options on the wing.

vCash
    IIRC he's kicked ok when required so far anyway. But his first instinct is to attack. Gotta be happy with that.
    Posted via Mobile Device

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    Maybe Phil Blake should take everyone aside and have a chat to them...

coz Stone Cold says so

vCash
    Also, if he's been playing shit. We're in for a treat methinks!
    Posted via Mobile Device