Thread: Force sweat on Pocock after Genia U-turn

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash

Force sweat on Pocock after Genia U-turn

UPDATE 2:30pm: The Western Force are desperate to ensure Will Genia's backflip over a move to Perth does not have a detrimental effect on their negotiations to tie down skipper David Pocock to a new contract.

Pocock was a big influence in persuading his good friend Genia to switch from the Queensland Reds and now he has had a change of heart, it remains to be seen whether the Wallaby flanker will still be keen to stick around.

"In regards to David Pocock, his situation hasn’t changed to that of last week where he has simply asked to be allowed to concentrate on helping the team in his capacity as Captain and will look to progress contractual matters down the track," RugbyWA chief Vern Reid said.

"It is a situation we’re comfortable with and have no reason to question David’s commitment and passion for the club now or into the future."

Vern expressed the Force's disappointment after losing out on the services of Wallabies scrumhalf after he had verbally agreed to sign.

Reid says he was shocked at Queensland's decision to publicly farewell Genia before he had put pen to paper with the Force.

The move prompted a change of heart from the Reds vice-captain, who earlier today confirmed he had agreed to a new three-year deal and was going to stay in Queensland.

"It needs to be made very clear that the Western Force did not 'leak' information in regards to discussions with Will Genia, nor did we claim at any stage that he had agreed to come to Perth," Reid said.

"What we did do was put our best offer forward to Will’s management and were advised last Thursday evening that the offer was accepted. We moved things forward, all the while paying respect to the recruiting protocols that are in place for all franchises by keeping that information confidential.

“We were as surprised as anyone by the Queensland Rugby Union’s statement on Saturday evening farewelling Will and naming the Western Force as the club he had agreed to move to.

“While we respect that Will has changed his mind, and had the right to do so, we are obviously disappointed following a verbal agreement a few days earlier and the promise of the paperwork to be signed and returned over the weekend following his arrival back from New Zealand."

Genia said today his love of the Reds had kept him at Ballymore despite initially agreeing to a much-bigger offer from the Western Force.

The Queensland Rugby Union announced on Saturday night they could not go close to matching the Perth-based franchises offer, reportedly between $550,000 to $600,000 per season.

It's understood the Reds had agreed to pay him around $400,000, a figure which they did not need to bump up after Genia made a U-turn on Sunday.

"Their offer didn't change," he said. "I stayed because I want to stay.

"I love the environment, I love the culture and I love where the club is heading and that's the reason I wanted to stay.

"The financial gain to move to Perth was quite significant but it's not about money. It's about where I'm happy and this is where I'd be happy.

"I genuinely love playing with the guys who are my teammates and love wearing the red jersey."

The Reds' player of the year for the past two seasons, Genia told McKenzie he'd decided to leave the defending champions following Friday night's 23-11 win over the Blues in Auckland.

But he said second thoughts immediately crept in.

"I made my mind up and changed my mind several times but if I'm going to be honest the reason I've decided to stay is because after the game against the Blues the feeling of satisfaction and pride in that performance was just an amazing feeling," he said.

"It was a scary thought to think I may not feel that way about playing for another club.

"Singing the team song in the change room afterwards and thinking I would not have the opportunity next year was a scary thought.

"I have too many good relationships here.

"I love the place. I wake every morning looking forward to coming to training and that's too hard to give away."

The Force had always insisted the deal would not be clinched until Genia put pen to paper.

They are desperate to secure at least one world-class player in their half-back pairing.

They also need to sign a classy fly-half - it is understood Waratah Daniel Halangahu is a prime target - and an inside centre. Coach Phil Blake said the club had been talking with other internationals: "We are on the front foot. We're speaking to numerous players in various positions to make sure this club reunites and gets stronger moving forward, so everyone else be warned that we are looking."
    The Force have not been able to entice Stormers fly-half Peter Grant, who scored 12 points and was instrumental in Saturday night's 17-3 win over the Force.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Thwe last line in that article is:

The Force have not been able to entice Stormers fly-half Peter Grant, who scored 12 points and was instrumental in Saturday night's 17-3 win over the Force.
    I'd really like to know if you meant very recently, Nick. Or are you just recirculating news from a few seasons ago??

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    It looks like the typical rehash of old news, non-comments and speculation that we've come to expect from the nations sporting journalists.

We normally get better from Nick!

C'mon the

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    and Brumbie supporters

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David