Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Western Force set sights on more big names

vCash

Western Force set sights on more big names

Western Force set sights on more big names after securing Will Genia for 2013 Super Rugby season
    By Justin Chadwick AAP April 29, 2012 12:56PM

After lining up Wallabies halfback Will Genia for next season, Western Force have set their sights on recruiting more big names to rebuild the struggling Super Rugby team.

Languishing in last place in the Australian conference, the Force pulled off the rugby coup of the year by luring Genia from Queensland Reds, with the 24-year-old set to put pen to paper once his Australian Rugby Union contract is sorted.

Genia is rumoured to have turned down an offer in the vicinity of $400,000 at the Reds in order to take up a deal worth upwards of $500,000 at the Force.

The Perth-based franchise has also been in close talks with their captain and Wallabies star flanker David Pocock, who is almost certain to re-sign with the Force.

And, in a further major boost, veteran Wallabies lock and former Force skipper Nathan Sharpe is expected to consider reversing his decision to retire at season's end.

Genia's arrival plus the expected retention of Pocock could help attract a host of other high-calibre players to the Force.

Luring a world-class five-eighth is high on the Force's agenda, but more game-breaking players in the backline are also badly needed.

And of course, a new coach to replace the departed Richard Graham is also in the works.

The Force are yet to make the finals since their inception in 2006, and are desperate to build a squad capable of reaching the business end of the season.

Interim Force coach Phil Blake confirmed the club were already in talks with top-line players from around the world.

"I know the club's been very proactive throughout Australia and offshore in regards to acquiring certain players that we feel will benefit the club moving forward," Blake said.

"That will never change.

"We are on the front foot.

"We're speaking to numerous players in various positions to make sure this club reunites and gets stronger moving forward.

"So everyone else be warned that we are looking."

Pocock was saying little about his own contract situation, but Force chief executive Vern Reid said he was "increasingly confident" the 40-Test veteran would stay.

"You could call it poor form the way information's leaked and all the rest but, at the end of the day, that's how it works," Pocock said of the rumours he was about to re-sign.

The Force's finals hopes for 2012 were all but dashed on Saturday night in a 17-3 loss to the high-flying Stormers.

The Force take on the Cheetahs in Bloemfontein next Saturday, before facing the Sharks in Durban a week later.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/su...ce=twitterfeed

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    the chances of having sharpe for another year are? (vbookies)

can we put bets on @ the tote here? does it work that way?

vCash
    Get Cooper

Kangaroo Court is in session..........all rise

vCash
    The Reds may have been keeping their money for Cooper. I'd agree with recruiting him as long as he signs for longer than the incoming mungo salary cap. If we can't recruit him on those terms then pull out all stops to get Peter Grant . He'll probably hold out to see what the Bokke selectors do first; and on form he should just about get the nod over Steyn. But likely won't. If not sign him pronto then get him a one year extension. He's only 27. Blood Seymour and Godwin possibly with Grant moving to 12 during games. Pretty sure his Stormers contract is until this year only. Show Harvey the door.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    prefer Peter Grant..bring it on...and Sharpie??? Somehow I dont think so...!!!

Champion
    vCash
    I can confirm that the Stormers have departed Perth around midday today just saw mum and dad off and they were all there, except Peter Grant, wasn't on the plane / in check in...

Does this mean we are showing him the sights --- not that much as changed when we showed him approx 4 years ago, it is Perth !! (nothing happens fast)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    I can confirm that the Stormers have departed Perth around midday today just saw mum and dad off and they were all there, except Peter Grant, wasn't on the plane / in check in...

Does this mean we are showing him the sights --- not that much as changed when we showed him approx 4 years ago, it is Perth !! (nothing happens fast)

hey hey hey - there is a total monstrosity of a skyscraper now with a homosexual looking 'tiara' on top.
    seriously, it even flashes red at night!

vCash
    I understand Peter Grant has family in Perth so he could spending some time with them.

vCash
    sharpie for one more season, yes please!.......

Senior Player Contributor DarthMoose's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Elf1 View Post
    I understand Peter Grant has family in Perth so he could spending some time with them.
    2 to 3 years should be enough time for a catch up...

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Peter Grant is the only marquee 10 I would be interested in. He'll still be available for the Springboks and the season suits so he might stay more than 1 year. Any marquee 10 who won't stay for more than 1 year isn't worth the time/effort. You can't build a game around a player who will only be there for one season.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Grant isn't capped for the bok yet is he?

He could be our development player
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Grant isn't capped for the bok yet is he?

He could be our development player
    Posted via Mobile Device
    He's played 5 games for the Bokke in 2007/8.
    http://www.sarugby.co.za/playerprofile.aspx?id=24505

Champion
    vCash
    Yeah Grant is and would need to be our marque player... but our development player can also be the "goose".. Johan Goosen from the cheetahs.

heres are some highlights from 1 of his game "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IumX3Qjt4fw".

Apprentice
    vCash
    Love to see Rod Davies come to the force i think we could get him easy and if Sharpie wont go again Mark Chisolm plenty of expirience. I m not sure about Grant id prefer Brockk James. Also i think we should grab Brackin Karuria Henry i think he has loads of potenetial those are the only signing i would make... Maybe try and grab some monster of a pacifica islands player that can play across the back row and locks. What do you think of Mccalman playing second row it annoys me that we nether start him there when hes a better player than lynn it also allows Brown to start i think hes a quality player!! CHEIKA!!!f

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast