Thread: Force v Reds - Genia'a actions

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash

Force v Reds - Genia'a actions

I am currently watching a replay of last nights match - and I noticed something that I would like to get everyones opinion on - and if I can beg Eckys indulgence get his thoughts on it to.

There were a couple of times in the first half were the Reds were working on their phase play and had a ruck where the last feet were that of ScrumHalf Will Genia who was connected to the ruck by placing his hand on the back of a prone Reds forward.

I hope that description makes sense

now in this instance - Genia bent down to pick up the ball with both hands. There was some time where Genia was not attached to the back of ruck while he was directing traffic.

Here are the questions.

1. Once Genia removes his hand from the back of his forward - isnt the ball "out" and the Force players could come around and pick up the ball?

2. If the Reds forwards that are a part of the Ruck shoved forward while Genia is not attached - could that be considered a Truck and trailer penalty?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    I am currently watching a replay of last nights match - and I noticed something that I would like to get everyones opinion on - and if I can beg Eckys indulgence get his thoughts on it to.

There were a couple of times in the first half were the Reds were working on their phase play and had a ruck where the last feet were that of ScrumHalf Will Genia who was connected to the ruck by placing his hand on the back of a prone Reds forward.

I have no idea.

now in this instance - Genia bent down to pick up the ball with both hands. There was some time where Genia was not attached to the back of ruck while he was directing traffic.

Here are the questions.

1. Once Genia removes his hand from the back of his forward - isnt the ball "out" and the Force players could come around and pick up the ball?

2. If the Reds forwards that are a part of the Ruck shoved forward while Genia is not attached - could that be considered a Truck and trailer penalty?
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Deep and moving words as always beat. Your best work yet
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post

Here are the questions.

Just to elaborate on Bronski Beat's reply

1. To be bound in a ruck or maul, the player must be using his whole arm; not just the hand. So technically he's not actually part of the ruck, ergo the ball is already out.

HOWEVER

None of the defending players bound in the ruck, or the pillars next to it (behind the last feet, of course), should be able to see whether Genia is fully bound or not, so they should err on the side of caution and just wait until he gains control of the ball with his hands.

They could, of course, ask Sir if the ball is out. Depending on the ref, they may get a reply, they may not, but at least it draws it to Sir's attention and they'd have a better change of ball spoilage if they risk attacking the ball.

2. Not really. "Truck & trailer" is commonly seen in a maul, not a ruck. And for good reason. There is a fair element of doubt for the players at the front of a ruck as to where the ball is and if it is out or not, so they'd be shoving the whole time until they feel no more shove from behind.

...at least they are my thoughts on it.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Could they not trust the call from their wider (ie Wing etc) teammates who would be able to see at a better angle? Obviously not as authoritive as Sir but if he won't answer?

Also, would it be fair to say that some Sirs are far better at reading the game, and therefore staying the hell out ot the way of the play, than others?
    Seems lately that several Sirs are blundering around and inadvertanlty getting in the way of set moves.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Could they not trust the call from their wider (ie Wing etc
    I thought the forwards didn't need or want backs to be involved in their game.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Dont you have to be knighted by the Queen to attain the title SIR... ?? Just asking...!! ;-)

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by almac View Post
    Dont you have to be knighted by the Queen to attain the title SIR... ?? Just asking...!! ;-)
    Not if its spelt "Cur"

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    I thought the forwards didn't need or want backs to be involved in their game.
    No, they can be useful as eyes and for bringing the ball back to the men so they can take charge again. No point running around all over the place, burns up valuable ruck and maul time.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.