Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Forceful Performance Repels Reds

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Forceful Performance Repels Reds

The Emirates Western Force produced their best performance of the 2012 season and rewarded their loyal fans in Perth as they plundered five tries to dispatch reigning FxPro Super Rugby champions Queensland 45-19 on Saturday night.

The win came on the back of a total domination at the breakdown and a sublime effort from the club’s playmakers in what was a complete team performance that has kick started a four match run at home in style.

What a difference a week made for the club who found themselves with a 21-0 advantage late in the opening half thanks to tries from James Stannard and Nathan Sharpe as well as an on song David Harvey who nailed three penalties and a conversion.

Brought into the centres by Coach Richard Graham, Nick Cummins helped get things started as he put Stannard through while Sharpe’s try came from a deliberate and patient build-up before the former skipper barrelled his way over from close range.

Graham said the opening exchanges had been a focus for the club throughout the week in a bid to deny the Reds any opportunities to build their confidence following a tough of the Republic.

“We went into the game wanting to start really well. The Reds were coming back from South Africa and following two successive losses, the first time that has happened in two years for them, it was important we challenged their mindset,” said Graham.

“I thought the way that the boys started was indicative of the way they prepared during the week and ultimately it’s about transferring what you do at training through to performance.”

The first half didn’t pass without some anxious moments for the home side, the most unnerving coming in the 15th minute when Stannard hobbled off the ground.

To their credit the Emirates Western Force didn’t let the loss of their chief playmaker disrupt their momentum, and with veteran halfback Brett Sheehan providing a cool head replacement flyhalf Ben Seymour slotted in seamlessly and clearly relished his chance to shine.

While the West Australian side had the better of the opening 40 minutes the Reds did manage to get a sniff late in the period when they scored a try after the buzzer to go into the main break trailing by a not insurmountable 16 points.

The job however was made all that tougher when just five minutes after the restart Sheehan charged down a kick from Reds’ flyhalf Dallan Murphy and off-loaded to Seymour who turned on the jets and powered past some hapless defence for his first FxPro Super Rugby try.

While Van Humphries responded for the visitors a short time later, any thoughts of a fight back were extinguished when Samu Wara and Matt Hodgson added a fourth and fifth try for the Emirates Western Force.

Again Seymour found himself in the thick of the action as he placed a perfectly weighted kick through the Reds defence where Wara was on hand to accept the kind bounce and outpace a chasing pack to score.

Hodgson’s try six minutes from the end put the exclamation mark on a wonderful night for the club and their home supporters.

Cummins, who was one of the standouts for the Emirates Western Force playing in the 13 jersey, made a superb run to put the West Aussies deep into attack and following some quick ball movement the Reds were stretched thin and Hodson found himself all alone out wide and didn’t need a second invitation to cross for the five pointer.

Harvey nailed all three conversions in the second half as well as another penalty goal to take his personal tally to 20 points in another strong display.

While the Reds did manage a consolation try after the full time buzzer nothing could take away from the convincing team performance by the Emirates Western Force who’ll line-up against the in-form Chiefs at nib Stadium next Friday night.

“I’ve said each week that I thought a lot of components of our game were right and there were just a couple of areas that needed addressing. While that was our best performance of the season we still know there is a lot of improvement in us and will continue to work hard to achieve that consistency,” Graham said

“Looking back on the game it was really pleasing for a number of reasons. Firstly, the final 20 minutes the boys could really enjoy their football as opposed to battling it out in a close game. The second thing, it was great to win at home. It has been a long time coming a win like that in front of everyone who fronts up week in and week out to watch us and that was fantastic. And finally I’m just pleased for the group - they work hard. The stuff you do behind the scenes no one really sees and I think it was just reward for them.”

2012 FxPro Super Rugby – Week 6
    Saturday, 31 March 2012 at nib Stadium
    Kick-off: 6.40pm (AWST)

Western Force 45 (Tries: J. Stannard, N Sharpe, B. Seymour, S Wara, M. Hodgson; Con: D Harvey 4/5, Pen: D Harvey 4/4)
    Reds 19 (Tries: J. Slipper, V Humphries, D. Shipperley; Con: D Murphy 2/3

Emirates Western Force: 1.Pek Cowan, 2.Nathan Charles, 3.Salesi Ma’afu, 4.Toby Lynn, 5.Nathan Sharpe, 6.Richard Brown, 7.David Pocock (Captain), 8.Matt Hodgson, 9.Brett Sheehan, 10.James Stannard, 11.Alfie Mafi, 12.Winston Stanley, 13.Nick Cummins, 14.Samu Wara, 15.David Harvey; Reserves: 16.Elvis Taione, 17.Kieran Longbottom, 18.Phoenix Battye, 19.Ben McCalman, 20.Ben Seymour, 21.Rory Sidey, 22.Kyle Godwin

Queensland Reds: 1.Ben Daley, 2.James Hanson, 3.James Slipper, 4.Van Humphries, 5.James Horwill (Captain), 6.Scott Higginbotham, 7.Liam Gill, 8.Jake Schatz, 9.Will Genia, 10.Dallan Murphy, 11.Luke Morahan, 12.Ben Tapuai, 13.Joel Rapana, 14.Dom Shipperley, 15.Rod Davies; Reserves: 16.Albert Anae, 17.Greg Holmes, 18.Rob Simmons, 19.Eddie Quirk, 20.Beau Robinson, 21.Nick Frisby, 22.Nathan Eyres-Brown

Yellow Cards: nil
    Red Cards: nil
    Referee: Garratt Williamson
    Crowd: 13,034
    Milestones: Kyle Godwin – Emirates Western Force & FxPro Super Rugby debut

By the clock
    Min Western Force Score
    3 David Harvey Penalty Goal 3 - 0
    8 James Stannard Try 8 - 0
    9 David Harvey Missed Con 8 - 0
    17 David Harvey Penalty Goal 11 - 0
    19 David Harvey Penalty Goal 14 - 0
    32 Nathan Sharpe Try 19 - 0
    34 David Harvey Conversion 21 - 0
    40 James Slipper Try 21 - 5
    40 Dallan Murphy Missed Con 21 - 5
    44 Ben Seymour Try 26 - 5
    45 David Harvey Conversion 28 - 5
    51 Van Humphries Try 28 - 10
    52 Dallan Murphy Conversion 28 - 12
    68 David Harvey Penalty Goal 31 - 12
    70 Samu Wara Try 36 - 12
    70 David Harvey Conversion 38 - 12
    74 Matt Hodgson Try 43 - 12
    75 David Harvey Conversion 45 - 12
    80 Dom Shipperley Try 45 - 17
    80 Dallan Murphy Conversion 45 - 19

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    The silence from the usual suspects of Force bashers on other forums has been deafening – you know who you are. Lamentable, woeful, dire, scrap them bla bla bla – flogged ‘Tards, flogged Reds…priceless %).

The Force were on the road for 4/5 games, two of their losses were by 1 and 2 points. Their forwards have been in devastating form, scrum and lineout rock solid. No recognized 10, star three backs out injured, aimless midfield kicking, no nous or tactics from the brains trust. The one home game a horror show.

This game showcased all that is right and wrong with them – forward power with depth on bench, great running, lots of possession, desperate defence. Then just when things were finally clicking, injury to Stannard at 10, and revert to aimless kicking, giving all that hard won possession straight back to grateful Reds, trying to hold a small lead with 30mins to go, letting them run straight back inviting disaster. The reaction in the crowd was palpable, groans, heads shaking and held in hands, a kind of energized swaying ripple of dismayed movement. NOOoooo….!!

Then suddenly back to hoeing in at the breakdown, running everything, honey badger powering through, getting it wide, and can you believe it after all that stupid waste of pointless aimless kicking comes a… wait for it…TACTICAL KICK!! Crowd surprised, Reds surprised, Richard Graham surprised that wasn’t from his cunning play book, but Sam Wara wasn’t surprised – try! More of the same please! And we got it, no more of the crap kicking, no going into defensive shell, it was on for young and old resulting in five tries 45 points, finally a performance of verve and passion that had their long suffering but loyal and adoring fans adulating! The Sea of Blue was waving, swelling with pride.

And the Reds now know what it’s like with all the playmakers out and missing the star backs. Welcome to the Forces position since moving from Subi.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by sittingbison; 01-04-12 at 06:55.

vCash
    Good call bison. For the record I'm not counting myself as one of the 'usual suspects' because I've been bashing the boys a bit recently.

The general consensus in E4 on the Waratahs try is that it wasn't an attacking kick, he was going for the line and stuffed it up. Doesn't matter, it taught them another way! Seymour took the field and some of his kicking was sublime, everything hit grass and there was some real distance to them. After half time, I think he was getting nervous and seeing the meters they were making with every run wanted to be as far away from our try line as possible. Thank God for the Honeybadger, who was my man of the match (shetty is also appropriate) Cummins hit a gap and simply refused to play mediocre all night.......we've found a long term 13......he might just wear gold with that number on it if he continues this sort of form.

C'mon the

Senior Player
    vCash
    Well put, Bison. Do take into account that some of those "bashers" were simply venting frustration as we were aware of what this team is capable of, especially given different tactics.

How sweet to do the Reds in such style...!

vCash
    Good call sittingbison, though I think the message from some of those you describe as bashers was an accurate description of what was going on, on the pitch. I think last nights effort showed what can be achieved with ball in hand and running. Honeybadger seem to grow 30cm taller 20kgs of muscle and doubled this foot speed. Sheehan was back to his angry in -your -face self and was clearly enjoying Genia's discomfort. Ben Seymour looks the goods.
    I don't want to get too excited on account of the Reds missing so many top line players, but the lads kept it going for almost the whole 80 minutes.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Have to put my hand up, after consecutive pointless kicks I was halfway through roaring "WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WIth you" when I saw that Warra was there...

Well done boys, a great match despite the rest of the shitty in play kicks.
    How Nicko didn't get MotM I don't know, was robbed.
    A new technique, the Cummins Sidestep...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I'm not having a go at Force guys here, and i am one of them, venting their frustration with genuine concerns at what was going on with our team - to be fair most has been at the Hurricanes game which was truly woefull in execution, nous, tactics and worst of all passion, and the first 20 mins last week.

I'm having a go at the "wise men" from the east who continually bag the Force on other forums and articles.

For me, the 20 mins of play early in second half was terrible, and I felt it had to be the brains trust, it seemed they were playing under orders. Every other minute was how they could and should play, how they played at Subi, how they play on the road but never yet at nib stadium.

They could turn nib into The Force Field, a graveyard for visiting teams, if only they start to play like that more often. Then we wouldn't have to worry about possibility of our crowd diminishing, but where to seat them.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    I liked the Cummins Bump on Dallan Murphy..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Have to put my hand up, after consecutive pointless kicks I was halfway through roaring "WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WIth you" when I saw that Warra was there... .
    I'll guarantee you that you weren't alone. Everybody around our seats was acting a bit sheepish after all the cat calls on that one. Me included.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I'll guarantee you that you weren't alone. Everybody around our seats was acting a bit sheepish after all the cat calls on that one. Me included.
    and me

vCash
    Nathan Charles, david pocock outstanding in a sea (of blue) of great contributors ....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Elf1 View Post
    and me
    ditto.

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    plus myself and every block around me

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SinBin View Post
    I liked the Cummins Bump on Dallan Murphy..
    I just LERVED Cummins all game! What a legend, deserved MOTM in my humble opinion! Well done Honey Badger!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast