Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Force Thump 'tahs in Sydney

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Force Thump 'tahs in Sydney

The Emirates Western Force have given their season a much needed shot in the arm and dispelled doubts they were brittle in close encounters after a wonderful come from behind one point win against the Waratahs in Sydney.

Despite going in as firm underdogs, and on the back of seven changes to their run-on side, the West Australian’s produced their best effort of 2012 and were duly rewarded.

After signing with the club last week, David Harvey enjoyed a dream first outing with the opening try of the game as well as clutch kicking to finish with 16 of the club’s 21 points.

The other points came from unheralded winger Sam Wara who, in his first ever FxPro Super Rugby start, was the man to finish off the Waratahs with a try in the 64th minute.

It was the result of a wonderful piece of team play including the ever present Nathan Sharpe who provided a great flick to hooker Nathan Charles who drew a defender before giving it to Wara to cross in the right corner and snatch a one point advantage. Harvey’s conversion attempt bounced off the post, his only blemish from the boot.

With time still on the clock for the home side to respond the Emirates Western Force dug deep to keep the ball in their own half and despite a penalty with 30 seconds remaining allowing the Tahs one final crack, there wasn’t going to be any let up from the visitors.

With the Waratahs on attack and the siren already sounded, David Pocock’s ball pilfering skill came to the fore as the Emirates Western Force skipper stole the ball from a breakdown and Charles booted it into touch to complete the victory.

It was a solid performance across the field. The forwards again provided a great platform for the backs who moved the ball with fluency, Brett Sheehan and James Stannard managing the game well, while Harvey’s pin point field kicking also relieved pressure when needed.

“We’ve worked hard over the last month and it was reward for the group. At some stage you obviously want a result that gives you belief and confident in what you’ve doing,” Coach Richard Graham said.

“Thinking back to last year 11 of the 16 games we played we were leading at 65 minutes but didn’t convert, that was clearly an area we had to address. We got ourselves into a similar situation today but were able to hold on.

“Tonight’s game in isolation is really important but what we need now is to prepare and come back out and win again next week.”

The character of the Emirates Western Force was tested early when the Waratahs were able to maul their way from a lineout not far from the try line and Adam Ashley-Cooper fell over to open the scoring. Daniel Halangahu converted to give the home side a strong start in the opening 5 minutes.

Harvey reduced the margin with a successful penalty a short time later and the Emirates Western Force then hit the lead when they opted to take a lineout deep in their attacking zone rather than the kick for goal after the Waratahs went a man down following Dean Mumm’s yellow card.

It decision was justified when Stannard put Harvey through a big gap and the two times Ken Catchpole Medal winner for best player in the NSW 1st grade competition didn’t need a second invitation to dot down over the line and celebrate his elevation to the elite level.

The Perth side’s pressure at the breakdown was troubling the Waratahs but against the run of play the home side were able to secure their second try when halfback Sarel Pretorius knocked the ball out of the hands of his opposite number and the spill was cleaned up by Tom Kingston who strolled over for the points.

As the clock wound down towards the break the Emirates Western Force drove their way forward and a penalty gave Harvey another chance to shoot and he ensured that just one point was all that would separate the sides at half time.

Ten minutes after the restart the home supporters were on their feet when Ashley-Cooper slipped through a gap to touch down over the try line but it was waved away by the referee after Rob Horne had clearly obstructed the Emirates Western Force defence.

A penalty from Harvey in the 53rd minute put the West Aussies in the lead once more but two in a row from Halangahu gave the Tahs the lead before Wara silenced the Sydney Football Stadium crowd with his maiden try.

2012 FxPro Super Rugby – Week 4
    Waratahs v Emirates Western Force
    Saturday, 17 March 2012 at Sydney Football Stadium

Waratahs 20 (Tries: T Kingston, A Ashley-Cooper; Con: D Halangahu 2/2; Pen: D Halangahu 2/3)
    Emirates Western Force 21 (Tries: D. Harvey, S Wara; Con: D. Harvey 1/2; Pen: D. Harvey 3/3; DG: J. Stannard 0/1)

Squads
    Waratahs: 1. Benn Robinson, 2. Tatafu Polota-Nau, 3. Sekope Kepu, 4. Dean Mumm, 5. Kane Douglas, 6. Dave Dennis, 7. Jono Jenkins, 8. Tevita Metuisela, 9. Sarel Pretorius, 10. Daniel Halangahu (c), 11. Adam Ashley-Cooper, 12. Berrick Barnes, 13. Rob Horne, 14. Tom Kingston, 15. Bernard Foley, Reserves: 16. John Ulugia, 17. Paddy Ryan, 18. Sitaleki Timani, 19. Chris Alcock, 20. Richard Stanford, 21. Brendan McKibbin, 22. Tom Carter

Emirates Western Force: 1. Pek Cowan; 2. Nathan Charles, 3. Salesi Ma’afu, 4. Sam Wykes, 5. Nathan Sharpe, 6. Angus Cottrell, 7. David Pocock (c), 8. Matt Hodgson, 9. Brett Sheehan, 10. James Stannard, 11. Alfie Mafi, 12. Rory Sidey, 13. Will Tupou, 14. Samu Wara, 15. David Harvey, Reserves: 16. Ben Whittaker, 17. Kieran Longbottom, 18. Phoenix Battye, 19. Richard Brown, 20. Justin Turner, 21. Ben Seymour, 22. Winston Stanley

Milestones: Will Tupou (FxPro Super Rugby debut), David Harvey (FxPro Super Rugby debut)

Yellow Cards: Dean Mumm (17-27 minutes)
    Referee: Jonathon White, NZ
    Assistant Referees: Steve Walsh and Angus Gardner, AUS
    Crowd: 14,673

By the clock
    Min Detail Score
    4 Adam Ashley-Cooper Try 5 - 0
    5 Daniel Halangahu Conversion 7 - 0
    10 David Harvey Penalty Goal 7 - 3
    17 Dean Mumm Sin Bin 7 - 3
    17 David Harvey Try 7 - 8
    18 David Harvey Conversion 7 - 10
    21 Daniel Halangahu Missed PG 7 - 10
    37 Tom Kingston Try 12 - 10
    38 Daniel Halangahu Conversion 14 - 10
    40 David Harvey Penalty Goal 14 - 13
    52 James Stannard Missed DG 14 - 13
    53 David Harvey Penalty Goal 14 - 16
    55 Daniel Halangahu Penalty Goal 17 - 16
    62 Daniel Halangahu Penalty Goal 20 - 16
    64 Samu Wara Try 20 - 21
    66 David Harvey Missed Con 20 - 21

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Driving up the M2 listening to Matt Burke & Drew Mitchell crying down the microphone - priceless! :-)
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    So far this round we are the only Australian team to win their game.

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Based on me not being able to watch this, and the Force getting a try at home when I wandered off to get food, it seems they go well this year when I'm not able to see anything. Therefore, I predict the Force will win against the Cheetahs, Sharks, Rebels and Lions.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    "Western Force thrash Waratahs by 1 point"

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Veteran
    vCash
    yeah i was thinking that...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

vCash
    Well a win is win. Well done boys.
    But there is still a lot of work to be done. How many times did we have 7+ phases and not even cross the gain line?

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    Based on me not being able to watch this, and the Force getting a try at home when I wandered off to get food, it seems they go well this year when I'm not able to see anything. Therefore, I predict the Force will win against the Cheetahs, Sharks, Rebels and Lions.
    Me too!

The only game I haven't watched this season and they win. I used to do the same thing with the Wildcats - they did much better when I didn't watch them.

I may have to sacrifice watching live games for the good of the team.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Has anyone watched that video clip that Gerry posted? The TAB sportsbet add said "If you're team is winning with 10 minutes to go, but lose the game, you get your money back?". That's the Force all over. I wonder if it is a coincidence or very clever marketing.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    I found this Tahs fan post on Foxsports amusing. Has he been reading this forum because it has a similar theme

Andy of Sydney says… March 17, 2012 at 9:49 PM

sorry boys, but you are RUBBISH...I went to Christchurch in 2005 and 2008, I went to Auckladd last year, I go to every game in Sydney, I even stayed without booing until the end of that infamous game against the Cheetahs last year, I was a very loyal supporter ...but enough is enough, I cannot keep wasting my money to see this RUBBISH. I left the SFS tonight after 48 minutes of play, and I will not be back, and I am really sure that are many more who feel exactly the same. I cannot keep listening to excuses, and every week watch the same crap... I do not know who is at fault really, coaches or players, but to keep giving the ball to the oposition every single time with stupid aimless kicks.... What is the exact gam plan for the backline? Is there any actual game plan when the team is attacking? Is ok if you cannot play attractive rugby, it is ok to lose some , like last week, at least most of the team gave it's best, what is not ok is dumb rugby. I will still support the Waratahs, but not from the stadium anymore, I will not waste my money again. Congratulations to the Force, they wanted to win and they did

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SinBin View Post
    I found this Tahs fan post on Foxsports amusing. Has he been reading this forum because it has a similar theme

sorry boys, but you are RUBBISH...I went to Christchurch in 2005 and 2008, I went to Auckladd last year, I go to every game in Sydney, I even stayed without booing until the end of that infamous game against the Cheetahs last year, I was a very loyal supporter ...but enough is enough, I cannot keep wasting my money to see this RUBBISH. I left the SFS tonight after 48 minutes of play, and I will not be back, and I am really sure that are many more who feel exactly the same. I cannot keep listening to excuses, and every week watch the same crap... I do not know who is at fault really, coaches or players, but to keep giving the ball to the oposition every single time with stupid aimless kicks.... What is the exact gam plan for the backline? Is there any actual game plan when the team is attacking? Is ok if you cannot play attractive rugby, it is ok to lose some , like last week, at least most of the team gave it's best, what is not ok is dumb rugby. I will still support the Waratahs, but not from the stadium anymore, I will not waste my money again. Congratulations to the Force, they wanted to win and they did
    Bloody hell Andy of Sydney, how would you feel if they had finished in the bottom half of the table for six years, rather than losing two games after making the finals several years in a row.

And WE'RE called fair weather supporters when we have a whinge at the tactics.

C'mon the

vCash
    Can't believe they boo'd their own team. We've been through many lows supporting the Force, but surely we'd never self destruct.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    The Tahs were pretty bad

Sydney has a lot of top class sport. The public expect to be entertained.

If you have witnessed a fantastic match, you can overlook a loss although it is frustrating if the losses mount up.

Winning ugly is so last century

The kiwis play the best rugby. You can sit down and really enjoy a game between the kiwi teams. The rugby is physical bordering on brutal. The clean out makes your old bones ache, the hits are massive and the standard of rugby is exceptional.........quick phase play, clear tactical plans, excellent execution of basic skills and they move the ball from sideline to sideline if they get the ball over the advantage line.

Apart from the Reds, the Australian teams are a yawn to watch.

Andy of Sydney is off to the mungos next week

Rugby WA beware. The mungos are coming.

Up front there oughta be a man in black
    You'll never see bright colours on my back......

Until things are brighter, I'm the man in black

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SinBin View Post

Andy of Sydney doesn't actually know where the SFS is located, sits at home with one hand on the mouse and the other on his computer direction device and likes to make a scene on chat sites.
    If factual, they are better off without the twat.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast