Thread: Mafi gets grip at Force full-back

vCash

Mafi gets grip at Force full-back

Speedster Alfie Mafi will keep his hold on the Western Force No.15 jumper against Super Rugby champions Queensland Reds in Brisbane on Saturday.

Mafi played full-back for the first time in Super Rugby against the Brumbies last Friday and produced one of the best individual performances in an otherwise disappointing team display in the 19-17 loss.

His kicking game, positional play, willingness to run the ball back at the opposition and ability to beat the first tackler came as no surprise to Force coach Richard Graham.

But it caught out Brumbies coach Jake White.

White had produced a kicking plan specifically designed to target the Force back three of Mafi and wingers Napolioni Nalaga and Nick Cummins.

"We were always going to play on their back three and give them an opportunity to run back, but they probably kicked a lot better, especially Mafi, than we anticipated," White said.

Mafi, who can expect another aerial bombardment from the Reds, had always wanted to give full-back a try. His only previous experience was in a pre-season trial against the Brumbies when usual full-back Cameron Shepherd was not selected and back-up Patrick Dellit was injured.

"I had always wanted to play full-back but I wasn't sure how I would go," he said.

"It took a little while to settle in and get a feel for it but I felt pretty comfortable. I've done a lot of kicking practice."

Mafi made 13 appearances in his first season for the Force, five in the starting line-up.

He played nine Super games for the Waratahs and seven for the Brumbies, but his career has been dogged by serous injuries (two broken ankles and a fractured fibula).

Graham is expected to include Dellit and hooker Ben Whittaker in Saturday's squad.

Second-rower Sam Wykes, who has not recovered from a hamstring problem, and Wallabies back-rower Richard Brown, who is still recovering from a shoulder reconstruction, are not expected to travel

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...rce-full-back/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    “Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    With options of Mafi and Dellit at Fullback, can that lead to a healthy Shep slotting into 10 or 12 as a trial? Remember the same thing was done with Jimmy H in 2006

vCash
    I was watching Mafi at pre-season training and he is a different person compared to last year. He is bigger faster and much more committed. I hope he can link up with Nalaga and Badger this weekend because that might just turn into something special.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oxleymoron View Post
    , can that lead to a healthy Shep slotting iínnto 10 or 12 as a trial
    Lot's of us would like to see that, Ox. Even if it turns out our theory is wrong. But he seems to be out of favour ATM and not in the 22 again.

Seeing as it's such a regular thing in Rugby (playing 5/8's at FB & vice versa), and having seen his passing skills over the years, it's hard to fathhom why he hasn't been tried.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    it's hard to fathhom why he hasn't been tried.
    The glaringly obvious reason is that he has barely put three consecutive games together for the past 3 years. He would need to be 100% fit to be worth putting a punt on.

It would be great to see though.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Senior Player
    vCash
    10 - Stannard
    11 - Nalaga
    12 - Shepherd
    13 - Dellit
    14 - Cummins
    15 - Mafi

Could be worth a go if he regains full fitness

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    The glaringly obvious reason is that he has barely put three consecutive games together
    I doubt that is the case, James. We all know his injury history, but even that is not as extensive as our back line/10 injury list. There have been opportunities. Like last season when the gambling addict was still in a moon boot. Shepherd was scoring tries from the wing while the coach tried others. Was Fairbanks even tried in the 10 shirt?

The season was already well shot by April but Ripia was brought back into the team on one leg. And we know how well that went.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David