Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Brumbies hold off Western Force

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Brumbies hold off Western Force

The Brumbies' new Super Rugby era under Jake White began as planned with a hard-fought 19-17 victory over the Western Force in their season-opener on Friday night.

Trailing 12-9 at halftime, the Brumbies came out revitalised in the second half, scoring two tries and holding the Force back in the final minutes.

It was their first game and first points under White, who took over at the ACT franchise at the end of a disappointing 2011 campaign.
    Advertisement: Story continues below

Fielding a new-look and largely green side, the Brumbies had the most to prove in the opening round clash and didn't disappoint the 14,211-strong crowd.

The Brumbies will now be able to start round three with eight points up their sleeve given next weekend's bye - the best possible start to White's new reign.

The opening half was a gritty tug-of-war between two sides keen to start well, but neither could claim an edge in either possession or territory.

The scoreboard was only troubled courtesy of the ref's whistle; the Force's James Stannard finishing the half with four penalties and the Brumbies' Nic White booting three.

Arguably, the Brumbies had the most to prove in the game but, apart from White's on-song penalty goal from 53m out and some impressive breaks from debut winger Jesse Mogg, the home side didn't appear to be delivering.

It took until the second half for the Brumbies to look dangerous and Mogg was the beneficiary five minutes in after accelerating onto a White pass from close range.

It gave the Brumbies back the lead, while another running try to fullback Robbie Coleman just five minutes later gave them back some confidence.

A try to Stannard kept the Force within reach, but they couldn't breach the Brumbies' defence again.

Force coach Richard Graham rued the 10-minute spell when the Brumbies crossed for their two tries early in the second half, saying the break in the Force's concentration ultimately cost them the match.

"For a large part of the game we played the way we wanted to play; we controlled the game," he said.

"But it was just that 10-minute period.

"I thought their breakdown work was good but we were probably a little bit slow."

White was clearly pleased with his squad's efforts, particularly in the dying minutes when the Force looked threatening near their line.

The World Cup-winning coach said that although the Brumbies had started cautiously, the game was there for the taking.

"You can't just go through the motions and be scared," he said.

"Somebody had to make a move and I'm just glad we managed to get over the line."

The Brumbies will enjoy a bye next week, while the Force prepare to meet the Reds in Brisbane next Saturday night.

AAP

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news...224-1tu84.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Champion
    vCash
    A few things I found watching the game:

Positives.
    * - Great Performance by Pek Cowan (my MOM)
    * - Great performance also by Honey Badger & Alfie Malfi.
    * - Didn't mind the game plan of keeping the ball in the forwards.
    * - Toby Lynn in the lineout, already a good looking forward in the lineup to replace Sharpie at season end.

Negatives.
    * - Same Plan since Game 1 in '95. If it fails we have no backup plan, and we are playing "hot potato" with the ball.
    * - Chucky is way too deep in the attacking line, not even seeing the advantage line.
    * - No one running onto the ball.
    * - Wingers out of position (watch the reply both tries were scored on the outside wings, and where were both wingers at this stage, under the posts acting as forwards)
    * - (I know its early games) but if Graham's game plan is to hold the ball in the forwards, can someone tell me why our marque players continue to be wingers ??
    * - Trys, where are they coming from ??
    * - Centres are a weak point, Stanley went missing and no drive forward

And I have to say it not just from an upset Force supporter as we lost, but that Umpiring was SH!T, no wonder Bryce Lawrence isn't going to step into SAFFA land again, on that performance he shouldn't be allowed in Canberra or Perth either.

vCash
    Pass the &*%$ing Ball!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is why you have a backline How can you run with the ball into the forwards when you have Nalaga on your outside.

vCash
    Too much kicking. Handling wasn't as bad as I expected but could still improve.

No depth in the back and as pointed out above no running into the ball.

What game plan are the coaches giving them.

We will improve but wins will be rare.

vCash
    You can't pass it to Nalaga if you can't pass. He'll need to get it off the base of the ruck in midfield and run it out to the wing himself. Chucky isn't going to do anything with the centres we've got, we either need somebody with a cannon grafted to his shoulder to get the ball out wide in one go, or we need somebody with a step closer to chucky. I think his vision is ok, but there was nothing happening off the ball and everything died in the midfield.......maybe we should buy Pat McCabe, because he made the Wallabies with predictable, brainless straight running into defenders....he must be better at it than what we've got!

C'mon the

vCash
    I gotta get a day time job. It's bad enough having to work when the boys are playing; but reading the Friday night bitchfests is getting a bit too depressing.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I gotta get a day time job. It's bad enough having to work when the boys are playing; but reading the Friday night bitchfests is getting a bit too depressing.
    Yeah, don't watch the match Shasta. Not a whole bunch of positives!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Yeah, don't watch the match Shasta. Not a whole bunch of positives!
    It wasn't a comment on the team or their performance, mate. Perhaps exasperating might have been a better word.

Carna Force!!

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    ..maybe we should buy Pat McCabe, because he made the Wallabies with predictable, brainless straight running into defenders....he must be better at it than what we've got!
    It worked for Mortlock

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Roxanne, you don't have to put on the red light

Controversy corner

vCash
    Mortlock ran predefined lines - that's why he was so good paired with Gregan/Larkham, he'd always pop up at the right moment at an insane angle that no one could defend.

I just can't get over the flat footedness(if that's even a word). Anyone can see it isn't going to work with a backline that flat and no one running onto the ball but the coaching staff just seem to think it'll magically come off one day.

vCash
    No game plan. Bloody depressing. What the hell has the coach been doing for the last 6 months because I have seen under 10s at the start of the season with more vision that that lot.
    Bam Bam is going to have to start reving up the troops, I dont think I saw him once giving them a ge up.
    Going to be a long season.

May the FORCE be with you!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

vCash
    Front row played well. Was pleasently surprised by Ma'afu, who showed nothing in the trials. (Still would prefer Keiran to start, though). Cheese looks big this year.
    Locks - well, of course Sharpie was excellent, but Lynn was, too. I think they may be quite similar, though.
    Back row - If I was trying to find fault, McCalman had a quieter game, but still good.
    On the whole, the forwards did enough that we should have won the match easily.

Of the backs:
    Sheehan was his usual - solid, not flashy, a bit predictable, but not many mistakes. I'd like him to kick less, but presumably that's a team tactic. Turner did well replacing him.
    Stannard - let's face it, he's not a top-level kicker but did OK. But he has to stand closer to the line and pass in front of runners. How many passes were behind the shoulder? Ruins all momentum and allows the defence to come up. Miss-out passes would be good, too, although given the trial matches, catching simple passes was a plus.
    Centres - Sidey and Stanley were pretty anonymous in attack. Not helped by Stannard, but they didn't seem to impose themselves either. Stanley might have been an IRB Junior Player of the Year, but he needs to step up to the senior level. Hopefully he's just finding his feet.
    Nalaga - showed some flashes of what he could be like - but rarely got clean ball in space.
    Honey Badger - also looking big - rarely got the ball, but made yards whenever he did.
    Mafi - Where did he spring from as full-back? Excellent display (one of two high balls apart) with great kicking and counter-attacking. Not sure where he was for the brumbies' tries, though.

Coaches - kick-offs were better in that they were at least contestable, but for an attack coach, Graham hasn't got us attacking very well. The forwards had that game won for us, but unimaginative attacking and timid choices (kicking for the posts when going for the line or scrum would have been easier and more likely to succeed) meant we came away without enough points.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast