Thread: Sharpe’s swansong

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Sharpe’s swansong

By RugbyWA Media

Nathan Sharpe

Inspirational Emirates Western Force lock and Wallabies stalwart, Nathan Sharpe, will call time on his glittering career and hang up his boots from all competitive rugby at the end of the 2012 FxPro Super Rugby season.

A commanding figure in Australian rugby since making his debut in Queensland in 1998, Sharpe was the premier recruit of the Emirates Western Force when the side joined the Super 14 competition in 2006.

He enters his 15th, and final, top flight campaign already as the most capped player in both club (77) and competition history (147) and if form for the Emirates Western Force and the Wallabies last year is any indication he will bow out at the top of his game.

Sharpe said making his retirement announcement now would put to an end any speculation over his future and for the next six months his only focus would be on elevating the Emirates Western Force into their first finals series.

“I’ve had a wonderful time playing rugby, have seen some pretty special things over my time and cherished every single moment of it. It’s not the end right now, I still have some goals I want to achieve this season,” Sharpe said.

“My last game of professional rugby will be wearing the Emirates Western Force jersey. It is an emotional time for me, it’s one of those decisions you mull over and think ‘are you going too early or too late’ and I wasn’t really sure of that until recently.

“I’ve been incredibly lucky right through my career to have been involved with some great people and great teams. I’ve got one more shot at winning a title and I don’t intend on fading away, I want to finish with my best Super Rugby season yet, that’s the way I want to exit the game.”

Throughout his time in Perth Sharpe has led by example and continually raised the bar on the field while also enthusiastically giving his time to ensure the success of the professional era in West Australian rugby.

“Coming to Perth was the best decision I made in my career,” Sharpe said.

“I’ve had an amazing time and have been part of the strongest support network I’ve experienced in rugby. That network extends from people within RugbyWA, to the members and supporters who turn up every week to the games, to the ones you see around town proudly wearing the Emirates Western Force kit.

“When you’re down at City Beach and you see people wearing a club cap or jersey it is fantastic. It’s honestly a great feeling to have a town that is passionate and proud and want to show support for their rugby team.”

Just as he has done throughout his career Sharpe has meticulously prepared and planned for life after rugby. While spending quality time with his two young boys is high on the agenda, he will also make a move into the resource industry as well as stay in touch with the game as a media commentator.

“The career opportunities being made available are amazing and will give me a completely new challenge to focus on after such a long time playing rugby,” Sharpe said.

“I’ve got a keen interest in the resource sector and being in Perth has definitely allowed me to meet a lot of people in the industry. I also want to stay involved in the game and having enjoyed the media side of things while playing I’d like to explore that further.”

Sharpe’s skill and consistency has seen him reside in the upper echelon of world rugby for more than a decade and Emirates Western Force Head Coach Richard Graham said the decision gives both Sharpe and the club certainty from 2013 onwards however he remained a crucial component in the upcoming campaign.

“In my time at the club Nathan has led from the front in his performances on the field and his desire for the club to be successful has established a strong platform for us to continue to build on,” Graham said.

“Nathan has made a clear decision about his future past this season and I have no doubt his commitment to the team, as well as his own personal standards, will ensure he plays to the very best of his ability in his final year.

“By giving us an early indication of his intentions Nathan has allowed me to plan and take action in regards to recruiting for 2013 and beyond. Having that knowledge now is a positive for us going forward.”

RugbyWA CEO Vern Reid said there hadn’t been a more influential on-field presence at the club than Sharpe and members and supporters could look forward to a big final season from the inaugural skipper.

“As a young franchise it was important that we had a strong leader and recognisable figure in a new market. Nathan certainly fulfilled that criteria when we recruited him for our inaugural season and I think history will show we couldn’t have made a better choice,” Reid said.

“Nathan has served the Emirates Western Force and rugby in Western Australia in ways that will continue to reap benefits for the code for a long, long time to come.”

Nathan Sharpe
    Position: Lock
    Height: 200cm Weight: 115kg
    DOB: 26/02/1978 Born: Wagga Wagga (NSW)
    Emirates Western Force Caps: 77
    FxPro Super Rugby Caps: 147 (77 Emirates Western Force, 70 Reds)
    FxPro Super Rugby Points: 30 (6t)
    Debut: 1998 v Hurricanes (Reds)
    Wallabies Caps: 101
    Wallabies Points: 35 (7t)
    Wallabies Debut: 2002 v France
    Honours: Australian U19 1996, Australian U21 1997-99, Wallabies 2002-current, Rugby World Cup 2003/2007/2011
    Awards: John Eales Medallist 2007, RUPA Medal for Excellence 2002 / 2005 / 2011

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Guess this makes the bald cap idea a bit of a must for the last home game!

C'mon the

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Guess this makes the bald cap idea a bit of a must for the last home game!
    June 30.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Champion
    vCash
    From reading that it sounds like he will be staying in Perth

vCash
    Thank you for the memories big guy.

It is with great thanks and a sore heart that we wish you all the best in your future endevours.

We cannot thank you enough for bringing Super rugby to WA and the outstanding committment you showed week and week out since 2006.

Without you we would not have been able to attract the players we did, so that we could be competitive.

Thank you

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    June 30.
    See you at jb's then!
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    I have a very heavy heart...

Rookie
    vCash
    Last home game on 30th June? isn't it a bit premature to say that. We still hope for home final right?

vCash
    We have to make the finals for him..no ifs buts or bloddy maybes....we have to make the finals...nothing else will do....so C'ARN Team do it for Sharpie if not for yourselves....!!! ...We have to finish what we started......NO EXCUSES!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PerthGirl View Post
    From reading that it sounds like he will be staying in Perth
    Not so unfortunately: from Nick Taylor (The West Australian)

"Sharpe will work in the mining industry and while based in Brisbane he will spend time in Perth."

Immortal Contributor
    vCash