Thread: Sharpe to finish rugby career in Australia

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Sharpe to finish rugby career in Australia

Adrian Warren
    20:01 AEST Fri Nov 18 2011

Wallabies centurion Nathan Sharpe will finish his career in Australia, saying he has no intention of chasing the big bucks on offer overseas.

Sharpe, who played his 100th Test for Australia in the World Cup bronze-medal match against Wales last month, will be the most-capped player in the 26-man squad leaving on Saturday for the spring tour matches against the Barbarians at Twickenham and Wales at Millennium Stadium.

The 33-year-old lock has already signed up with the Western Force and Australian Rugby Union for next year and won't rule out going again in 2013.

Unlike some of his contemporaries, including Matt Giteau and Luke Burgess, Sharpe isn't looking to play overseas.

"I've looked at it in previous years, but I think that the way things are panning out, I'm pretty comfortable with my transition from rugby to where I'm going in the next stage of my life," Sharpe told reporters on Friday.

"That's just a time issue for me so it makes sense for me to stay in Australia.

"Going overseas and chasing some money for a year or two probably doesn't interest me at this stage.

"I'll definitely finish up here in Australia. It just depends on when that's going to be.

"I'll have a look at it next year and make a decision then."

The evergreen Force captain also has no intention of voluntarily pulling the plug on an international career that started nine years ago.

"If you've signed with Australian rugby and you play Super Rugby, you're obliged to play international rugby if you get picked, so I'm signed for next year," Sharpe said.

He reflected on his good fortune of playing alongside so many great players at the two ends of his career.

In his first Test against France in 2002, Sharpe played alongside George Gregan, Stephen Larkham, Joe Roff, Matt Burke, Stirling Mortlock, George Smith and Toutai Kefu.

At the recent World Cup, his teammates included emerging champions like Will Genia, David Pocock, Kurtley Beale and James O'Connor.

Sharpe said consistency of preparation was the key to Australia taking the No.1 world ranking off New Zealand.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8376367

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Great to hear that the "Big Fella" is keen to stay on in Australia, I would love to see him be around at the Force for another year or two, in what ever capacity, be it captain, mentor or some sort of coaching role. Great leader, great player, great person, adds credibility to what the Force is all about.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I imagine he would be taking some inspiration out of the career trajectory of the Mayor.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.