Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: David Pocock Named Western Force Captain

vCash

David Pocock Named Western Force Captain

Star forward David Pocock has become just the second full time Captain of the Emirates Western Force and will lead the club this season after being elevated to the top job by Coach Richard Graham.

Pocock will take the reins from inaugural skipper Nathan Sharpe who superbly served the side in its first six seasons. Sharpe has given his full endorsement to Pocock to guide the club into a new era.

The transition from Sharpe to Pocock will allow the veteran lock to remain a key sounding board for the 23 year old who has served as an understudy in the position of vice-captain for the past two seasons.

After joining the FxPro Super Rugby ranks as a teenager in 2006, the debut season of the Emirates Western Force, Pocock’s rapid rise has continued unabated and he has stamped himself as a game changing player of utmost integrity both on and off the field.

The standout seven was stand-in captain for the final match of 2011 after Sharpe was ruled out with injury and led the Emirates Western Force to victory against the Rebels in Victoria. He also showed his leadership credentials when he skippered the Wallabies to a convincing win against the Barbarians at Twickenham last November.

“I think it’s a huge honour to captain a side, particularly one that I’ve been involved with for quite a while now. It’s a big challenge but exciting at the same time and I’m looking forward to be given the opportunity to further contribute to the team,” Pocock said.

“I see being a leader first and foremost as leading by your actions, however I know that there is a lot more to it and that’s all part of the learning experience. I feel very fortunate to have been able to watch and learn from someone like Sharpie. He has had a huge influence on me.

“One of the really exciting things about taking on the role now is that Sharpie is still involved and I can continue to look to him for advice. Having his experience around will be invaluable,” Pocock added.

“In a team environment it’s not just one person that shoulders all the load, we’ve got quite a few guys that lead by their actions, I think the more people we can get like that in the team the better we’ll be going forward.”

Sharpe said Pocock was the ideal candidate to take the club forward and was certain the backrower would embrace the added leadership responsibilities and provide inspiration to players both young and old.

“The level of David’s performances for the Emirates Western Force has been exceptional and I think that will also prove to be the case as he applies himself to the role as captain,” Sharpe said.

“I’ve seen him grow from a talented kid who joined the club straight out of school to become a game breaking player in both Super Rugby and for the Wallabies. David is a remarkable young man and a good friend, I will help him in any way that I can now and into the future.

“Serving as the inaugural captain at the Emirates Western Force has been a great honour in my career. It’s the right time for a change, both for the club and me personally,” said Sharpe.

Emirates Western Force Coach Richard Graham said Pocock had earned the respect of team mates and everyone at the club through his professional dedication and approach to preparation and performance, and was thoroughly deserving of the position of captain.

Graham acknowledged Sharpe’s significant contribution and leadership while the Emirates Western Force established itself in the world’s toughest provincial competition and said the big lock would continue to play a key role at the club.

“David aspires to be the best player in the world in his position and he holds himself to very high standards. He exhibits all the attributes you’d want to see in a leader and will be a strong character in representing the Emirates Western Force on and off the field,” Graham said.

“Nathan has done a wonderful job leading and representing the team. Sharpie has always put the team first and we will continue to utilise his experience to develop the next generation of leaders at the club.”

Pocock’s performances has earned nominations in the IRB ‘Player of the Year’ award in the past two seasons while in 2010 he took home the John Eales Medal and RUPA Medal for Excellence. He has played 55 times for the Emirates Western Force and is the fifth most capped player in club history.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    “Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    The Captain is dead (ok, stepped down...) long live the Captain!!!

Congratulations Bam, greatly deserved. A tremendous natural leader of men and role model to take us to the next stage of the Force's development.

Just hope it doesn't mean Sharpie is considering a shorter than longer exit strategy.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Congrats Dave, what a honour and well desreved young man.

It will be great supporting the Force this year with two "leaders" of such high qualities, hope this "mentoring" role for Sharpie is the start of some sort of a "coaching" role in the future with the Force of course.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    If Sharpie goes over seas to finish his career then I wouldn't have a problem with that. These guys deserve to raise a bit more cash before retiring. I wonder if he has any inclination to move into a coaching role in the future.

Just happy to be here

vCash
    I have to say I am a tad devastated.. ..but will support Bam... ofcourse!!! ...I hope our Sharpie isn't cutting his time with us short....Lots of questions for the master TIF for his presentation night...I have to go and have a lie down..and ponder this...

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    They have not said who is Vice Captain yet.....Matty H for mine if Sharpie is sitting out all duties??

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    They have not said who is Vice Captain yet.....Matty H for mine if Sharpie is sitting out all duties??
    The article mentions that no vice captian will be named.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MI5_Dog View Post
    The article mentions that no vice captian will be named.
    It does

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    Congrats Bam. Well deserved. Probably a good decision as he will likely captain the wallabies in a few years time.

coz Stone Cold says so

vCash
    A good decision long term.... Congrats bam!......

vCash
    I am still pondering...

Player
    vCash
    good on yer bam, inspirational

sharpie you deserve all the kudos that will come your way

great decision for foward planning, captain will be 1st pick, universally admired and sure to succeed

get sharpie into coaching - after all he was doing it most of the time Mitch was here anyway

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jt12 View Post
    good on yer bam, inspirational

sharpie you deserve all the kudos that will come your way

great decision for foward planning, captain will be 1st pick, universally admired and sure to succeed

get sharpie into coaching - after all he was doing it most of the time Mitch was here anyway
    He did a lot of Jim Williams' job as well

C'mon the

vCash
    Great to see. Bam bam is both an inspirational player and person. It also allows the chance for Bam to keep learning off Sharpie and give Sharpie the chance to enjoy the rest of his career. Win-win as far as I'm concerned.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    He did a lot of Jim Williams' job as well
    Didn't they sack jim williams?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast