NICK TAYLOR, The West Australian
January 13, 2012, 6:35 am

Enlarge photo
The loss of fly-half Willie Ripia could have a serious knock-on effect through the Western Force crucial halves pairing and intensify the scrutiny on young scrum-half Justin Turner.

Coach Richard Graham is hunting for a playmaker to replace Ripia who quit on Tuesday after being caught stealing players' money.

Two early contenders are Australian 7s representative David Harvey from Sydney club Gordon, a dual winner of the Ken Catchpole Medal for the best NSW club player, and former South African under-19 and Bulls playmaker Francois Brummer who was not re-signed by the Pretoria-based club this year.

However, if Graham is not happy with the talent available he said he may opt for another No.9.

That would see former Australian 7s player of the year James Stannard step up as first-choice pivot and put the pressure on Turner.

But Turner, 21, who has had two serious knee injuries that sidelined him for lengthy spells in the past two seasons, is ready to showcase the talent that made him one of Australia's brightest young prospects.

Twice in seven months he has had reconstruction surgery on his right knee. He first damaged the anterior cruciate ligament when playing for Australia in the 2010 world junior championships and then tore it again in pre-season training last year.

"I'm feeling good now and looking forward to this season. Pre-season's going well, I'm feeling great, the fitness is getting there," Turner said.

"I was really looking forward to the 2011 season. It was a huge blow. When it went again it was heartbreaking.

"There were some dark days after the operation but my passion to play again was always there. I always knew I was going to come back."

Ripia's management said he had returned to New Zealand to seek help for his gambling addiction.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...rce-the-issue/