Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Force Open Training Season 2012

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash

Force Open Training Season 2012

Hi Guys,

I went down to the Force training session today. The guys ran through a fair few fitness drills and then some simulated play. There was a fair bit of enthusiasm amongst the squad. The were a couple of notably absences. Our full season Wallabies Sharpie, McCalman and Pocock weren't there. Ma'afu, Cowan and Hodgson were though. Pretty sure I didn't see Nathan Charles there. Or Cameron Shepherd. Perhaps they are injured. Wykes was there but didn't train due to what looked like an ankle injury. One of Willie Ripia's legs had a fair bit of strapping on it. I am pretty sure I didn't see K-Bomb or Gene Fairbanks either. With a fair few new faces that I don't recognise from a distance it was sometimes hard to tell. Ma'afu needs to fitten up.

In answer to Kyle's progress: He was at training and looked pretty sharp. He played at first receiver in some of the play simulation drills. His long passing left and right looked particularly good and there didn't appear to be any shoulder problems. He didn't hesitate to take the ball into contact in the drills. Fingers crossed he'll get some game time this year.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Senior Player
    vCash
    K-Bomb was there, said hi to him after the game. Was a good afternoon.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    That's a relief. Sorry my bad.

vCash
    Shepard with an injury? Now that's unusual... :/

vCash
    Cheese was also there - didnt take part in much of the running drills after pulling calf muscle in last session before xmas.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Was also there, enjoyed relaxing in the shade and seeing rugby again, albeit a training session.

1) Hats off to Richard Graeme for letting us get closer to the players in the final part of the session.

2) Another hats off Richard Brown for leading the players towards the fans after the session for a meet and greet, he has really been a great buy, glad he has signed up again.

3) Final hats off to the players for taking the time to thank us for coming down and making themselves available.

4) Met with new signing and excuse the spelling Nalaga, and what a big unit he is, cannot wait to see him run with ball in hand. He is also very quitely spoken.

5) Ben Whittaker was his upbeat about the season ahead.

6) K Bomb was definately there.

7) Not knowing the face properly and looking from a distance, I think Winston Stanley, looks a small but agile unit had some good ducks and weaves.

8) Agree Sharpie, Pockock, Sheppard all looked like they were missing.

Now cannot wait for start of season 2012

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    • Was also down there sitting on the grass enjoying the atmosphere it was a great turn out and the weather turned it on.
    • Winston Stanley was there and so was Gene Fairbanks.
    • Agree with the three big notable absences of Pocock, Sharpe and Shepherd.
    • Ma’afu is a bloody monster, hopefully he can bring some fitness and mobility around the field.
    • As already stated Ripia had a lot of strapping on, one leg was heavily strapped around the thigh and the other leg was strapped heavily on the upper calf.
    • I believe three players had time at first receiver, Ripia, Stannard and Godwin.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Shows for my eye sight.

Ben Seymour also had a bit of a run from 10. He was wearing the visor hat and has curly black hair and a fair few tattoos on his arm.

It looked like Sheehan was doing all of the scrumhalfing though.

Yeah Winston Stanley did look good. I'd much rather see him at 12 than 13. You can tell Winston by the longish (at the back at least) wavy black hair.

vCash
    Hope the three that were missing are okay....

Champion
    vCash
    great to see we have three number 10s this year... I feel this has been where the EWF have struggled in the past
    Halfbacks 2012: whats the batting order here? Is Turner still on the list?? another great talent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Ben Seymour also had a bit of a run from 10. He was wearing the visor hat and has curly black hair and a fair few tattoos on his arm.

Yeah Winston Stanley did look good. I'd much rather see him at 12 than 13. You can tell Winston by the longish (at the back at least) wavy black hair.
    Thanks for that. I liked the look of Stanley as well, and would also prefer 12 as he has a slighlty smaller frame and appears nippy.

I did not recognise any of the league players and they are meant to be fairly big units, did anyone notice them and how they were travelling?

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    SHARPE, POEY and BIG MAC are not due back till next Monday

vCash
    Might have to head down to one of these with my new telephoto zoom lens and grab some photos

(If it allowed?)

Last edited by jargan83; 10-01-12 at 12:43.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Disappointed to hear that Shepherd is absent, but I hope someone is putting in a lot of time with Nalaga and the other winger perfecting the high ball chase...given their size, I'd see that as having huge potential as a key weapon this year.

Watching that drill video, looks like there is still a LOT more of Ma'afu than there ought to be. I'd love to see what he could do if he trimmed down, but suspect it would improve his overall game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Disappointed to hear that Shepherd is absent, but I hope someone is putting in a lot of time with Nalaga and the other winger perfecting the high ball chase...given their size, I'd see that as having huge potential as a key weapon this year.

Watching that drill video, looks like there is still a LOT more of Ma'afu than there ought to be. I'd love to see what he could do if he trimmed down, but suspect it would improve his overall game.
    Partner him with Pocock during training, and he'll trim down if it doesn't finish him off...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast