Thread: Stanley sidesteps uncle's shadow

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Stanley sidesteps uncle's shadow

NICK TAYLOR, The West Australian
    December 27, 2011, 7:34 am

What's in a name? Quite a bit actually, if it belongs to a legend of New Zealand rugby.

And if you are nephew of former All Black great "Smokin" Joe Stanley, the pressure to succeed is immense.

It is something new Western Force signing Winston Stanley has grown up with but he wants to be judged on his own ability and not just by the family name.

"The name does get thrown at you a bit in New Zealand and I struggled with it when I was a bit younger," the centre said.

"But that's one of the good things about being in Perth. I'm going to be judged on my own merits.

"I am who I am and that's what I want to be judged on. I want to get out and press my own claim."

He is hoping the move across the Tasman will help him flourish and bring a return to his form of two years ago when he was named as one of the best youngsters in world rugby.

He had helped take NZ to the 2009 International Rugby Board Junior World Cup and was short-listed for the IRB's Junior Player of the Year.

But then his career was cruelled by injury. He was forced to have reconstructive surgery on both shoulders and then one game into his return in 2010 he broke a leg.

"I was on a high. I had made my debut for the Blues and there was the New Zealand under-20s campaign. Then I went through a tough period. It was a pretty average year," he said.

He had an impressive National Provincial Championship for Auckland and earned a recall to the Blues, notching another three caps, but was kept out of a regular spot by, among others, his older brother Benson.

And the move by Ma'a Nonu to the Blues this year looked like being another road block for the midfielder who is chasing the Force No.13 jumper.

"I felt like I was going to struggle to get more game time especially with the recruitment of Ma'a," he said.

"I really like to play 13, that's my preferred position, but I'll be happy to get on the park.

"There seems to be a lot of depth in the Force squad, especially in the midfield, with guys that can play both centres and there's a lot of utility value."

Stanley was born in Australia, so the Force did not have to use either of their overseas spots to sign him. He left Brisbane when he was 11. Outside rugby he is studying law and commerce.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...ncle-s-shadow/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Must admit I was surprised to read that he wants to play 13. I thought the Force recuited him to play 12.

The photo of him in Line Break magazine makes him look rather small in stature but he is listed at 184cm and 95 kg which isn't all that small.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!