Thread: Arthur named new Aussie cricket coach

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash

Arthur named new Aussie cricket coach

Mickey Arthur has pledged to bring a "fresh, unblinkered eye" after being named as the first foreigner to coach the Australian cricket team.

The 43-year-old Arthur coached South Africa between 2005 and 2010, leading the Proteas nine successive unbeaten series before taking over as coach of Western Australia.

He said Australian cricket is in "a very exciting phase" and his ultimate goal will be winning back the Ashes.

"I am honoured and privileged to have another chance to coach an international team, particularly a team of the ilk of Australia," he said.

"I think I bring a fresh, unblinkered eye to the role after plotting against Australia when coaching South Africa and having now worked within the Australian system with the Warriors.

"Australia has an abundance of cricket talent and I am confident the talent is there to ensure Australia is successful."

Arthur's appointment rounds out the changes which came from a wide-ranging review following Australia's Ashes debacle earlier this year.

He takes over from Tim Nielsen and has been contracted through to the end of the next World Cup, due to be staged in Australia and New Zealand in 2015.

Arthur will sit on a selection panel which includes captain Michael Clarke and new full-time chairman John Inverarity, with their immediate concern surely the form of stalwarts Ricky Ponting and Brad Haddin and paceman Mitchell Johnson.

Arthur however would not be drawn on what the future holds ahead of what will be his first Test in charge, Thursday's week's opening encounter of the summer against New Zealand at the Gabba.

"I'll defer that to the first selection meeting," he said.

"It's hard coming in from the outside without knowing what is going on.

"That's something for John Inverarity to take up."

Arthur has tasted success against Australia, becoming the first coach to lead South Africa to a Test series win on Australian soil in 2008.

Arthur, whose great grandfather was Australian, said not being from the country is not an impediment to performing the job at a high level.

"I don't think it'll matter," said Arthur, who confirmed he and his family would look to become permanent Australian residents.

"You get respect straight away when you get the job, but you've actually got to earn it in a period of time.

"I believe I can earn that with any team that I've been with."

Cricket Australia general manager Pat Howard said Arthur was the outstanding candidate, ultimately beating former Test wicketkeeper and New Zealand and New South Wales coach Steve Rixon.

"Mickey impressed on a number of levels, including his proven ability to turn teams around and his deep knowledge of the Australian cricket scene and its current and prospective future international players across three formats," Howard said.

Arthur has his hands full straight away, with a two-Test series against the Black Caps to be followed by four Tests against world number two India.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Unblinkered eye?

The way he has talked up Mitchell Johnson up in the past is disturbing. Hopefully he has only does it because if Johnson is playing for Australia then he can't be bowling his pies for WA

vCash
    How was the test last night. I couldn’t take my eyes of the game lol well done to the boys on the win hopefully Micky Arthur will bring so new ideas and rejuvenate the group to reach the next level (how long do you think it will be if they don’t improve that they will be saying he is a plant e.g. RD'S lol)

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    Well he's done incredibly amazing things with the Western Worriers since he's been in charge. They've gone from mediocre/poor to, um, poor/fair. Is it as many as two Shield matches they've won Mickey's been in charge?

If he can do that with the Worriers then it augurs well for the main team.