Thread: The Wallabies chased him, Western Force wanted him

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

The Wallabies chased him, Western Force wanted him

Wallabies coach Robbie Deans tried to get Chiefs halfback Tawera Kerr-Barlow to change allegiance
    By Jamie Pandaram The Daily Telegraph March 29, 2012 7:37AM

All Blacks dream ... Kerr-Barlow had no interest in changing his allegiance to Australia. Source: AAP
    The Wallabies chased him, Western Force wanted him, but Super Rugby's hottest halfback Tawera Kerr-Barlow has had only one dream since the age of three - an All Blacks jersey.

Even his mother Gail Barlow, who represented the Australian women's rugby team in the mid-90s, could not sway him to represent the country of his birth.

"Robbie Deans came to speak at a function in Darwin, where they presented me with my Wallaroos cap retrospectively," Gail said.

"He spoke to me and certainly was very interested in what Tawera was planning for his future. I explained to him, 'Good luck with that'.

"Tawera declared from the age of three he wanted to play for the All Blacks, despite his mother playing for Australia."

Clarkie's Weekly Analysis

Tips: Clarkie's round six preview + 26
    He re-signed with the Chiefs and looms as a candidate for New Zealand.

As any proud parent would, Gail is backing her son to achieve his dream, to the point where she was helping him train over the Christmas holidays when he returned to Darwin.

The Adjudicator: Super Rugby Preview

R6: 'No Cipriani doesn't mean no Night Fever'
    "She was up at 6am with the stop-watch. There was no lazing around in the holidays," Kerr-Barlow said.

Gail said: "That time of year is the hottest and most humid in Darwin. You get close to 100 per cent humidity.

"He really felt the heat. He was doing shuttles, sprints and a long run each week.

"To the horror of everyone else, we went out on Christmas day and trained. He didn't take one day off."

It is this dedication to fitness that has helped Kerr-Barlow develop into the form No.9 of the competition.

"I trained really hard in the pre-season, because it was important for me to be able to play the style of game I play for 80 minutes," Kerr-Barlow said. "I would do it for 40 or 50 minutes, but I couldn't sustain it for 80.

"Now I can play that physical, high-pace game for the full 80. I did a lot of roadwork during the holidays."

Kerr-Barlow was born in Melbourne but at six months moved to Darwin, where he lived until age 13. It is a city he still considers home and at the end of the interview he requested a "shout out" to his friends and family in the Territory.

At 13, Kerr-Barlow declared his desire to play rugby in New Zealand and started at his father Rei's old school, Hamilton Boys High, and graduated to the Waikato squad.

When John Mitchell was in charge of the Force, he tried to lure Kerr-Barlow to Perth. And Wallabies high-performance manager David Nucifora also contacted Tawera and Gail to have him change allegiance. But the 21-year-old stuck solid.

"It is my ultimate goal and dream, but I don't go out each week thinking I will make the All Blacks with a good performance. If it happens sooner than later it would be good," Kerr-Barlow said.

This week he confronts an unchanged New South Wales Waratahs side in Hamilton, with Brendan McKibbin holding his place as NSW's halfback.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/su...-1226313078139

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    And what a terrific season he's having..better the ABs than the Wobblies for sure, eh bru

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post
    ..better the ABs than the Wobblies for sure, eh bru
    Expect him to be warehoused by the NZRU pretty quickly this year.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Am I missing something - how is this Western Force news?

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Slow news day X.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Can anyone link the story about Calum Clark copping the 32 week ban for hyper extending someone's elbow.
    That might give us something to talk about
    Posted via Mobile Device

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    His sentence should be for as long as it takes the other bloke to recover
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post
    And what a terrific season he's having..better the ABs than the Wobblies for sure, eh bru
    These kids are doing the haka at 3 years old even if theyre born here in oz. got a kiwi friend who's kid is doing well as a prop at school here in oz and played in front of nucifura and other aru kahunas last year and i mentioned that their child has a great oppurtunity and pathway to the wallabies......didnt go down well at all. told them theyre living in the wrong country if he's aspiring to be an AB. we dont talk about their childs rugby prospects anymore haha