Thread: Season Preview: Highlanders

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash

Season Preview: Highlanders

As the number of days until the return of Super rugby has ticked down into just double digits it is time to start looking at some of the contenders for 2012. As always, we start with a bit of a look at the Highlanders.

Form in 2011
    The Highlanders started off their Super 15 season with a bang winning 3 from 3 to start the season. Wins over the Brumbies, Cheetahs, Rebels and Crusaders in the middle of the season had finals written all over the South Islanders. However things went downhill from here and four straight losses to close out the season saw them miss out on their first finals appearance in almost 10 years. It seemed that the Highlanders played the ambush card to great effect in 2011 but once found out were easily exploited.

On the domestic front neither of the Highlanders’ ITM Cup teams, Southland and Otago, performed remarkably well. Southland came last and were relegated out of the Premiership division while Otago came third, failing to make the final play-off, in the Championship division. For those who are curious, the premiership is the higher of the two stupidly named competitions.

Comings and Goings
    There has been quite a bit of traffic in both directions for the Highlanders. The two big name recruits for 2012 are disgruntled Hurricane Andrew Hore and England backrower James Haskell. Hore’s arrival in Dunedin comes after a massive player/coach rift at the ‘Canes and he will be a welcome addition to the Highlanders top class front row. Haskell was keen to get a taste of Super Rugby in 2012 after 4 years with the English side and 10 in the English club system and he has joined the Highlanders for 2012. The burly backrower is coming into his prime as a forward although on field successes have been marred by a number of off-field dramas including abusing a Dunedin hotel worker during the recent World Cup. Having returned to the scene of the crime, Haskell is ready to roll and, alongside Jimmy Cowan, he will definitely make a few waves in the south of the south.

Robbie Robinson: Style meets versatile.

Every year there are a few leaving the Highlanders as players look at escape the cold or coaches look
    to cull some of the dead wood. This year there are three fairly big names at the departures gate. Ex- All Black lock Tom Donnelly has moved north to Christchurch after a season spent mostly on the sideline or the bench. Despite being an excellent line-out operator, the Highlanders performed admirably without Donnelly in this department in 2011. Still depth is a premium and Donnelly will be missed.Another international on his way out is Samoa captain Mahonri ‘Mo’ Schwalger. The nuggety hooker was pushed out after the signing of Andrew Hore and has moved to the Chiefs. Being very much in the same mould as Hore, the Highlanders have not lost much here other than quality depth. Finally, while the guy has not yet reached stardom, Robbie Robinson is a notable loss for the Highlanders. Named Robbie because it was the closest thing his parents (Rob Senior and Roberta) could find to their last name and thus easier to spell, the mullet-haired youngster has continued in the New Zealand style of terrible haircuts. So although he isn’t a super star yet, the Highlanders lack backline class and any promising players need to be kept hold of.

Players to watch out for…
    The early success of the Highlanders in 2011 was build on indefatigable ball running. The Highlanders used the likes of Jarrad Hoeata, Nasi Manu, Jamie Mackintosh, Josh Bekhuis, Alando Soakai and Adam Thompson to their destructive best. The high note of their season was their 3rd round victory over the Bulls at Loftus where the Highlanders played possession over territory and ground out a win. With a likely Highlanders backrow of 6. Haskell, 7. Thompson and 8. Manu these will be the danger men. These explosive runners will need to be kept in check to stop the Highlanders from building momentum and punishing their opposition.

Adam Thompson: Best moustache since Ron Burgundy?

There are a couple of exciting backs in Highlander country. Daniel Carter’s deputy, Colin Slade, impressed last season in the little bits of game time that he managed to string together. In his absence Lima Sopoaga ran the Highlander backline with aplomb and the two could form a mouth-watering inside back combination if they are fit and firing in February. Otherwise one of the pair could move to 15 to make space for the Highlanders other key attacking weapon, Ben Smith. Smith is the Adam Ashley-Cooper of the Highlanders- a very good runner who can be very, very tough to bring to ground. Anything but 100% in the tackle will see this guy slip through the fingers and right under the uprights. Expect him to be the Highlander’s top try scorer in 2012.

The Strengths
    What they always are with the Highlanders- the pack. They’ve got an excellent scrum, one of last year’s most reliable line-outs and a back row that is more than capable of both pilfers and counter-rucking. They added to this traditional strength in 2011 by developing their forward ball running game which will again be a strength for the Highlanders this season. It is a forward pack that doesn’t really give any quarter. In Jimmy Cowan they also have a 9th (annoying) forward.

The Weaknesses
    Jamie Joseph did a fantastic job as coach in 2011 and it will be really interesting to see how he patches up a few of the holes in the Highlanders side. The Highlander backline just isn’t quite good enough to launch an attack without good quality go forward ball. Rock solid defence around the fringes and on the first receiver stops the likes of Manu, Thompson and Hoeata getting the backs some front foot ball. Those guys thrive off a tight game and will tire after 60 minutes if the game gets loose, especially when they are doing all of the work. Since depth isn’t that flash for the Highlanders, the final 20 minutes is the time to overrun them. Spread the ball wide to make them work and put a bit of pressure on the young flyhalves, Sopoaga and Slade.

Prediction for 2012The Highlanders were 8th overall in 2011 and 3rd in the New Zealand conference. Although they have a solid team, I doubt they can maintain this in 2012. They’ll have it all over the Hurricanes, but the Chiefs, Blues and Crusaders just look too strong. I doubt the Highlanders will travel as well as they did in 2011. I’d put my money on the Highlanders in 11th.

What do you think?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by James; 18-11-11 at 17:52.
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    James thank you for a great article again, your summary is spot on.

I agree they will be a handful in the forwards again, but with too much reliance on Ben Smith in the back line like they used to have on Israel Dagg when he was around. I agree very competitive every game due to the gritty hardened forwards but back line will not be strong enough to get them home often enough.

11th good call, I think 12 th

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Oops. I missed a big one- Hosea Gear joining the Highlanders too from the Hurricanes. That guy is a machine.

The first choice backline for the Highlanders looks pretty tight:

9. Cowan
    10. Slade
    11. Gear
    12. Smith
    13. Piutau
    14. Poki
    15. Sopoaga

But there ain't a whole lot of talent past that.

The squad if anyone is interested is:
    Kurt Baker, Josh Bekhuis, Jimmy Cowan, Nick Crosswell, Elliot Dixon, Tamati Ellison, Ma’afu Fia, Hosea Gear, John Hardie, James Haskell, Jarrad Hoeata, Andrew Hore, Chris King, Kendrick Lynn, Jamie Mackintosh, Nasi Manu, Bronson Murray, Chris Noakes, Siale Piutau, Kade Poki, Culum Retallick, Jason Rutledge, Colin Slade, Aaron Smith, Ben Smith, Lima Sopoaga, Adam Thomson, Doug Tietjens, Shaun Treeby, Telusa Veainu

Interestingly Doug Tietjens was born in Kalgoorlie. If he is good we can claim him as a WA product. I wonder if he is related to the 7s coach Gordon Tietjens.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.