Thread: Refs for the finals

Apprentice
    vCash

Refs for the finals

Joubert will be joined by Rugby World Cup 2007 Final referee Alain Rolland (Ireland) and Nigel Owens (Wales) as Assistant Referees and Giulio De Santis (Italy) as Television Match Official in a highly experienced match official team. Rolland is the reserve referee.

Meanwhile, Wayne Barnes will take charge of the Bronze Final between Australia and Wales at Eden Park on Friday (2030). The Englishman will be supported by Assistant Referees Romain Poite (France) and George Clancy (Ireland) with Shaun Veldsman (South Africa) as Television Match Official

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    ....which makes the rankings

1. Joubert
    2. Rolland
    3. Barnes

imho

I don't think the other appointments necessarily reflect the remaining rankings. Maybe Owens 4. Maybe Owens 3 and Barnes 4.

(Obviously Bryce Lawrence was out of considerations because his national team is contesting the final. Oh, and he failed to perform sufficiently well in his last game, too.)

So the back three (7, then 8 & 6 for ABs and 6, then 7 & 8 for Frogs) can rest assured that, if it's their team with the ball in the contact zone, they can arrive from anywhere and mostly stay on their feet, but it won't matter too much if they fall over a wee bit. Unless Mr Joubert changes his tolerances for The Big Match.

vCash
    It's probably the first time the IRB has appointed the in form referee for the final rather than making a political appointment. Obviously, the red card to the Welsh captain sunk Rolland. Well done to Craig Joubert, a well deserved appointment.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    It's probably the first time the IRB has appointed the in form referee for the final rather than making a political appointment.
    No one could argue he wasn't streets ahead. I'd argue the rankings though. I thought Walsh was the best of the rest. Sad to see the Wallabies so convincingly beaten, but it was great that nobody could complain about the refereeing. Good job.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    It's probably the first time the IRB has appointed the in form referee for the final rather than making a political appointment. Obviously, the red card to the Welsh captain sunk Rolland. Well done to Craig Joubert, a well deserved appointment.
    Yeah, nah, may I disagree?

I thought the Andre Watson appointment was the form appointment when he did the RWC final way back when. Remember that the refs from the countries playing in the final can't be appointed, and there has been a number of those that were the form ref at the time.

As previously noted, Rolland had no option but to red card. Had he not done so then he really would have been sunk.

vCash
    joubert was actually pretty hard on the "off the feet" aspect but more lenient on whether the arriving player supported their own weight...i know thats a bit of an oxymoron but i saw that happen a few times and he didnt blow it if they were on their feet but resting their body weight on the tackled player but he did blow it if the players knee touched the ground

Senior Player
    vCash
    Joubert reffed according to the flow of the crowd as much as the flow of the game.

Still, pleasing to see Kaplan fall in the ranking.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeJay View Post
    Joubert reffed according to the flow of the crowd as much as the flow of the game.

Still, pleasing to see Kaplan fall in the ranking.
    Joubert was NOT the difference between those two teams. I thought he was particularly harsh on the defensive team at the breakdown, and let Richie get away with some stuff where Pocock was getting saddle marks from being ridden so hard.....but we were crap, they were awesome, let's not forget that simple fact when we critique the reffing

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    Yeah, nah, may I disagree?

I thought the Andre Watson appointment was the form appointment when he did the RWC final way back when. Remember that the refs from the countries playing in the final can't be appointed, and there has been a number of those that were the form ref at the time.

As previously noted, Rolland had no option but to red card. Had he not done so then he really would have been sunk.
    If you remember, Watson got the nod ahead of Paddy O'Brien because the IRB thought that NZ would make the finals; silly them. The appointment was made too early unlike this year when the appointments were made after the semis.

vCash
    I remember him refereeing v France in 1999
    and v England in 2003

I don't remember Paddy being in the frame for both RWC tournaments, sorry.

vCash
    Refs spoil the game

When will refs become accountable?

When will refs get yellow or red carded by a referee ref at the ground? There are so many shocking games that the refs put in that there should be a check in place to hook the little belters from the game if they are worse than sh1te........which they far too regularly are

The selection of refs should also include "hiring for talent"

An indepth questionaire should be involved as well as an interview process

refs that had snot flicked at them at school or have little mans disease should be kept in subbies

Controversy corner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Messup View Post
    Refs spoil the game

When will refs become accountable?

When will refs get yellow or red carded by a referee ref at the ground? There are so many shocking games that the refs put in that there should be a check in place to hook the little belters from the game if they are worse than sh1te........which they far too regularly are

The selection of refs should also include "hiring for talent"

An indepth questionaire should be involved as well as an interview process

refs that had snot flicked at them at school or have little mans disease should be kept in subbies
    So, you'll be signing up to take your referee's classes then? And work you way up through the ranks of junior and club rugby until you can ref internationals.

vCash
    nope

Controversy corner