[COLOR="Blue"in other (somewhat better) news][/COLOR]

CASEY Stoner survived some "heart in the mouth'' moments before claiming his second MotoGP world championship today.

Stoner was unchallenged as he breezed home to win his fifth straight Australian Grand Prix to go with his 2007 triumph.

Sadly, the Honda rider missed out on the competitive edge he thrives on when his only title rival, Jorge Lorenzo, withdrew through injury.

The Australian, who turned 26 on Sunday, cruised to victory by 2.21 seconds from Honda rider Marco Simoncelli with fellow Italian Andrea Dovizioso on another Honda third.

While he won from start to finish and appeared to be sailing to victory, Stoner revealed he almost slid from his bike as he was caught unawares by light but deadly late showers.

"I nearly came off the track...I was pretty lucky to stay on at that point because I think I was the first person to hit that wall of rain,'' Stoner said.

"We had that first cloud pass over us with a few spits and we were able to keep our advantage there but when it hit the second time, it didn't look that dark.

"But the rain falls at you a lot heavier and worse and I've gone into that last turn and as soon as I've cracked that throttle again, the rear came around and my heart was up in my throat.

"I took it very gingerly the last lap just to bring it home.

"Phillip Island doesn't let you go home without a wet session and we got it during the race unfortunately.

"Having the lead we did and not wanting to throw it down the road that far in the lead and also not wanting to give too much away, they were very tricky conditions.''

Stoner was virtually handed his second world title after his triumph on a Ducati four years ago when Yamaha's Lorenzo was ruled out after crashing during the morning warm-up.

Lorenzo was tossed from his bike as he pushed through turn 12 landing heavily and losing part of the ring finger of his left hand.

The Spaniard was transported to the medical centre and rushed to Melbourne for plastic surgery.

Stoner sympathised with Lorenzo, who had been his great rival this year.

"That wasn't real good, what happened to Jorge,'' he said.

"When we saw everyone out in the gravel trap and we thought they were looking for the end of his finger it made me a little bit sick.

"That sort of injury, it's not nice, especially the hands - that's what we've got to work with on the bike.

"But I spoke with Jorge and he's in a good state and my thoughts go out to him."

Despite the dramas, Stoner was amazed that everything came together at the same time.

"Not too many people have the opportunity to have all these sort of things align - your home grand prix, your birthday, this many straight wins here and then a world championship," he said.

"There's that many things in one day it's hard to take hold of it all.''

Stoner had pole position on the grid as he chased his fifth straight Australian race and was left with little to do but finish sixth or better to take out the championship with rounds in Malaysia and Valencia remaining.

Seven-times world champion Valentino Rossi's miserable weekend culminated in a race-ending crash on lap 13.

Taree rider Damian Cudlin, a replacement for the injured Ducati racer Hector Barbera, took a bad spill during yesterday's final practice session and was unable to take his place on the grid.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/mot...-1226167742565