Thread: For the jersey, the nation and your brothers

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

For the jersey, the nation and your brothers

Brendan Cannon The Sunday Telegraph October 16, 2011 12:00am

I WAS asked to write my column as though I'm standing inside the Wallabies' dressing room, looking each player in the eye, giving them a final speech before they run on to Eden Park for the game of their lives.

This is what I'd tell them.

"Think about everything you've done to get to this moment, all of the hard work, enduring all of the pain and the criticism, to be sitting right here.

"I want you to think about those in your life who have unselfishly made so many sacrifices just to allow you to pursue your dream. Your family, your partners, the unwavering support they have given you.

"Will you be able to look them in the eye after this game and tell them the sacrifice was worth it?

"There are those you don't know, sitting around Australia cheering; in their homes, in outback pubs, farmers and tractor drivers, this is their moment to see you do something special.

"Think about the impact you will have on so many, because some of you will never be back in this position. The jersey you are putting on is not yours forever; you are a caretaker of that jersey. In that position you represent every player that plays in Australia, at junior level, subbies level and club level.

"What we need here today is to be completely process-oriented. Irrespective of what happens, we remain so dogged and so focused that at no stage are we shaken from our plan.

"We are masters of our own destiny. Our set piece must be effective; in the line-outs and scrums, let's stick it to them.

"Let's make them feel like there is a Wallaby blowtorch on them all the time. Let every man in the black jersey know at every opportunity that you want this more than they do. We know what they're like under pressure.

"Have no regard for your own well-being because there are seven guys on the bench who would give anything to be on the field. Everything we earn in this game, we earn the hard way, through tireless commitment, relentless passion, and total focus. Perform every facet of the game to the best of your ability.

"If as a 15 you play your very best game individually and collectively as a unit, believe me, no one will touch us.

"Quade, keep the ball in front of us. Let's not give them a chance. Let's put all the pressure on them, and that means them playing out of their own half.

"We proved to the world last week that we are a defensive force. Now let's show them what we can do with the ball. And it must be front-foot ball, so you mongrels in the forward pack need to smash the All Blacks off the park.

"Let's support Poey. He has a target on his back, let's not have him isolated. Wherever a Wallaby man goes, there is someone right there with him.

"Do not leave your brothers stranded today. We cannot have any passengers.

"Remember the Tri Nations final. Remember how you stood there, refusing to turn away from the haka, and then that first 40 minutes when you annihilated them. Today, we do that for 80 minutes.

"Let's come together.

"I feel like we're about to do something very special. Justify my feeling, boys."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1226167431952

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Inspiring words
    Talk is cheap
    Actions are required
    This wallaby teams blows hot and cold worse than the French
    .........and it's raining
    Which wallaby team will turn up?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Controversy corner

vCash