Thread: Penny for your thoughts! Wallabies V's Boks or the Welsh

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash

Penny for your thoughts! Wallabies V's Boks or the Welsh

After watching a few games. Ok a lot of games for this world cup and the dismal effort against Ireland I have come to the conclusion (making the loss more palatable) that I would rather face the Boks in the quarters than the Welsh. The Welsh are a real threat with quality players in depth and should go all the way on their side of the draw. The Wallabies seem to play better against the foes they know the best and don’t get cocky thinking they should beat them but harden the fuck up and play decent rugby.

So what are your thoughts the Welsh or the Boks?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Very tough call.

We've beaten the Boks a lot recently so I would prefer to play them. Wales can blow hot and cold, but if our scrum functions like it did last time we played Wales, we'd probably end up getting slaughtered.

On the other hand, losing to Wales would mean far less blah than losing to South Africa. Can you imagine would PdV would be like if the Boks beat us this weekend? It isn't worth thinking about.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    The bok are undefeated and defending champs. They'll get right nasty

I think the Samoans bashed them up real good

Momentum is with the Welsh. I think they would have been tricky

The bok are the devil we know and have a few injury probs

I reckon we are a good chance

I believe the Blicks will be most vulnerable in the semi.

I think it worked out well............but I'll stand corrected sat if we go home with our tail between our legs

The wallabies blow hot and cold. Who knows?????????

Controversy corner

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    I might wait until sunday,myself

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    I haven't had the opportunity to watch that many (non-Australian) matches in this years Rugby World Cup. Thanks Channel 9.

What troubles me the most about this World Cup performance by the Wallabies is that they have not been the dominant team against the minows like we have in the past. Its difficult to get excited about our future in the knock out phase of the competition when we have let lesser teams score against us in the way that they have.

The Wallabies as a team seem to have developed an arrogance that our recent performances don't match. Its the belief that all we need to do was to show up and pull on the gold jersey against Samoa prior to the World Cup and a similiar showing during the World cup against Ireland, and how we took the foot off the gas against the Russians.

Please don't misunderstand my criticisim as arrogance for the Wallabies - I love the Russians heart, but they should never had scored a point. Same with the Eagles of the USA.

I hope that this is some cat and mouse plan by Robbie Deans to try and get the Wallabies under the radar. But they seriously need to ramp up their skill level if we are going to make it to the final, let alone win this thing.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Sorry but I can't believe how some are "surprised" by losing to Ireland. NH teams play 15 man rugby and when they get it right they can be devastating. Apart from Scotland of course
    It's not all about feeding it to Quade and hoping for some magic after 2 phases- we need to master the 5+ phases, split the defence & then unleash the backline, which should be fukn brilliant considering the talent we have there. Boks will tire after 60 and we'll win. We know how to beat the AB's. Worrying thing is Wales, who I have absolutely loved watching. WRF- your chest should be putting Dolly parton to shame just now!! England might falter against the cheese eating surrender monkeys as they're not playing great and France can turn it on when they're in the mood and not thinking about why they haven't won Eurovision for 20+ years. Or the RWC. Rant over....

[Beer & crisps......the pre-season diet of choice

vCash
    The phony war is over

Mickey mouse test matches are a joke.

You could see the wallaby intensity drop to zero when Mitchell tore his hammy. What a farking joke. many of our best players maimed in cricket score romps against USA and Russia.

It's time for the real world cup.

The draw is decided. On with the show

I'm backing Cooper to cut loose. he has been very quiet. Watch him cut a swathe through the bok

Controversy corner

vCash
    Only if our forwards can give him some room!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by doobie69 View Post
    Sorry but I can't believe how some are "surprised" by losing to Ireland. NH teams play 15 man rugby and when they get it right they can be devastating. Apart from Scotland of course
    Actually, when Scotland get it right they can play any of the 6 Nations teams off the park. The worrying thing with Scotland is they only seem to get up for the match when it's the Calcutta Cup in Murrayfield with England going for a slam. But Scotland with their tails up is always exciting to watch.

It's not all about feeding it to Quade and hoping for some magic after 2 phases- we need to master the 5+ phases, split the defence & then unleash the backline, which should be fukn brilliant considering the talent we have there.
    Too bloody true! This is tournament rugby now - teams are a bit weary so you keep the ball in hand and run through multiple phases to knacker them even more. You don't have to resort to NH tactics of aerial ping-pong, just keep your patience in attack and discipline in defense.

Worrying thing is Wales, who I have absolutely loved watching. WRF- your chest should be putting Dolly parton to shame just now!! England might falter against the cheese eating surrender monkeys as they're not playing great and France can turn it on when they're in the mood and not thinking about why they haven't won Eurovision for 20+ years. Or the RWC. Rant over....
    For all the talk of England and France being 'Whales', I've always thought Ireland and Wales had better chances of winning. England are a collection of individuals rather than a team and France are too unsure of themselves. Whereas Wales have a mighty pack and Ireland have the O'Driscoll factor.

vCash
    I'd prefer the Bokke to the Welsh ATM, they are really firing. I just hope Bryce lawrence has been reviewed and educated over his ridiculous officiating of the scrum when we played Ireland (and almost every other Wallaby match he's ever been appointed to).

Actually, when Scotland get it right they can play any of the 6 Nations teams off the park.
    They blood should have on the weekend. I was shattered to see posession meekly gifted to England near the end when the match was theirs for the taking. And gutted when England managed to score from it.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    What I find bemusing is how teams get talked up after looking good against much inferior opposition. England v Romania, Sa v Namibia, Wales v Fiji. Wales could have very easily lost to the Samoans and they would have been on the next plane home, no quarter finals. Jamie Roberts name is now being bandied about in the press after his 'stellar performance' against mighty Fiji, scoring two tries. Prior to this game he'd only scored 2 tries in 30 games! Stats a prop would be ashamed of!

vCash
    England might falter against the cheese eating surrender monkeys as they're not playing great and France can turn it on when they're in the mood and not thinking about why they haven't won Eurovision for 20+ years
    The French do one of two things when their backs are against the wall, either come out fighting, or give up and collapse into a heap (e.g 1914, 1939). The former is usually against the ABs and the latter against the pommes. I think the English will win by 20 points, especially if they get on the board early.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    Actually, when Scotland get it right they can play any of the 6 Nations teams off the park. The worrying thing with Scotland is they only seem to get up for the match when it's the Calcutta Cup in Murrayfield with England going for a slam. But Scotland with their tails up is always exciting to watch.
    You're right mate, but that's exactly why we went home early. We need to be able to lift against every team on every occasion. Scotland losing to Argentina was our undoing and will stick in the throat the most. Had we played like we did against England we would be through, no doubt. I think we should have beaten England and I actually tipped this by 7 points, which would have meant missing out by 1 point in typical Scottish fashion. Yet another case of ripping defeat out of the jaws of victory. Gutted but moving on

[Beer & crisps......the pre-season diet of choice

vCash
    You're right mate, but that's exactly why we went home early. We need to be able to lift against every team on every occasion. Scotland losing to Argentina was our undoing and will stick in the throat the most. Had we played like we did against England we would be through, no doubt. I think we should have beaten England and I actually tipped this by 7 points, which would have meant missing out by 1 point in typical Scottish fashion. Yet another case of ripping defeat out of the jaws of victory. Gutted but moving on
    In both the Arg and Eng game, the Scots kept on making bad choices - e.g Parks in the pommes 22, did a hope and pray up and under, really negative play. Why not hold onto the ball and go for the try. That tactic of hoofing the ball up in the air hoping the opposition drop it will work against poorer teams, but the likes of Eng and TN teams have very good back 3s and it's just effectively giving the ball away.