Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Refs for the Q Finals

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Yeah, let loose Ecky
    Right then:

In Week 1 of the RWC it was clear that the refs were instructed to get the pillars/posts back onside, thus creating a better running opportunity for the receiver of the scrum-half's pass. This was a good thing.

In subsequent weeks it seems they were told what a great job they'd done and to focus on something else. Not sure what else they've been focussing on, but the offsides for pillars/posts have returned. In a big way.

It also seems that Kelvin Deaker's little insight on previous RWCs still holds and that the ref's have an expectation that the minnow shall lose to the giant, so why not penalise them for everything just to make sure, while failing to penalise the giant for the exact same thing in the same game.

Moreover(I've always wanted to use that in a sentence!):

"The Gate" only applies to the defending team; arriving players from the ball-carrying team can arrive from pretty much anywhere;

The tackler is not required to release the tackled player in this tournament - whether he is a tackler or whether he is a "tackle assist". With the exception of games that Barnesy or Junior control;

None of the refs seems to have given instructions to the Assistant Referees to assist with things they might see that the ref did not. Either that or the comms equipment is faulty.

That'll do for now. I feel better with that off my chest. Thank you very much for reading.

Carry on.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Eloquent and insightful as usual ecky

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    It also seems that Kelvin Deaker's little insight on previous RWCs still holds and that the ref's have an expectation that the minnow shall lose to the giant, so why not penalise them for everything just to make sure, while failing to penalise the giant for the exact same thing in the same game.
    That's the most obvious one. But I think it may be the first time it has influenced the outcome of a QF deciding match. Mo Shwalger is not usually given to having a whinge. This time he was right to do so.

On our referee for the weekend. He seems to do that in most matches he gets - he goes in with a preconcieved idea of each sides past performances and penalises accordingly. Anyone see hm on Discovery channel last night? - no doubt in his mind who are the team most deserving to win.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Anyone see hm on Discovery channel last night?
    Was the show 'Mythbusting the Springbok scrum with Bryce Lawrence'?
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oxleymoron View Post
    Was the show 'Mythbusting the Springbok scrum with Bryce Lawrence'?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    NOt quite.

Bit of a wankfest in some ways but if you ignore that, it did give a good insight to their All Black production line. Also how much the game means to our Kiwi mates and why. Bryce is certainly awestruck.

RUGBY: THE LIFEBLOOD OF NEW ZEALAND
    Premieres Monday October 3rd at 7:30pm

This documentary takes us from north to south of New Zealand to try to answer a question that the world will raise on the eve of World Cup Rugby 2011: How did this small nation, located in the southwest Pacific, produce such outstanding players, feared and respected by all other major rugby nations, and paradoxically, how is it possible that New Zealand has not won since their first World Cup in 1987?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    And this week he potentially gets to decide which team plays the ABs...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    And this week he potentially gets to decide which team plays the ABs...
    He has probably decided already.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    first scrum......penalty
    second scrum...penalty

third scrum.....penalty

is there a V bookie bet for this?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    No

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    bugger

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    first scrum......penalty
    second scrum...penalty

third scrum.....penalty

is there a V bookie bet for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    No
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    bugger
    The odds'd be shite anyway

C'mon the

vCash
    Lawrence holds the key to showdown, argues prop

WELLINGTON: Springboks prop C.J. van der Linde has put pressure on Sunday's quarter-final referee Bryce Lawrence, saying the whistleblower will have a big influence on the outcome of what is expected to be a dour forwards contest in Wellington.

New Zealand referee Lawrence, who will officiate the Wallabies for the third time this tournament, awarded six penalties against the Australian scrum in their shock loss to Ireland, three of which even bewildered the South Africans.

''We had a look at the scrums [in the Ireland-Australia game] and there were a couple of penalties that maybe were a bit dodgy or could have gone both ways,'' van der Linde said. ''But we'll have to see on Sunday what we get and adapt to that.''

The prop acknowledged he didn't know what to expect from Lawrence, who also penalised the Australian scrum three times against Russia.

''The scrum is always a big talking point, and it depends also on what referee you get,'' van der Linde said. ''I don't think he'll [Lawrence] go into the game with preconceived ideas. I think he'll try to referee the game as equal as he can.

''We have had Bryce a couple of time, and he's a quality ref. He manages the scrum and all the breakdown and that well, so we'll have to see what we get on Sunday.

''Obviously the set piece is a big part of the game, and if you want to win a Test match, your set piece has to be spot-on.''

Towering breakaway Schalk Burger said the battle of the forwards could be the deciding factor.

''I suppose it all starts up front, and it's going to be important from our side, obviously we want to be dominant at set plays and the breakdown,'' he said. ''We had a look at the Irish game but we have our own standards when it comes to the set pieces, and I think we've had good momentum through the World Cup so far. But it's going to be tough. The Wallabies are a quality pack of forwards, and it won't be easy. It's a 50-50 game with two sides who have played a lot. We know each other pretty well.

''I think in wet weather like this, and obviously there's a fair bit of wind around Wellington, territory will be very important.''

Meanwhile, Springboks winger J.P. Pietersen will undergo a fitness test this morning to determine if he will take his place in the side to face the Wallabies. The 184 centimetre winger has a leg injury that has so far prevented him from training this week, and he has only rated himself at 80 per cent fitness.

''My injury is improving,'' he said yesterday. ''It's a tendon just behind my knee, with the hamstring and all the tendons there. It's just a big bruise and there's a nerve running through it that, I think, caused most of the pain.

''I feel confident. I'd feel more confident if I had a good running session behind me.

''I'm doing my fitness test [today], and if I feel comfortable I'll tell the coach, and if I don't I'll probably have to pull out.''

South Africa will name their team at 5am today, Sydney time

Read more: http://www.watoday.com.au/rugby-unio...#ixzz1ZzCSResR

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2