Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best 2nd Tier Team of the Day.

vCash

Best 2nd Tier Team of the Day.

Seeing as we have the worst. I'll kick off the best 2nd tier performance.

Romania on the weekend. But yesterday Canada was very good. Their flanker Kleeberger ia a machine who could maybe play Super Rugby. He was everywhere and with a build more like an openside hit countless rucks and hassled the crap out of the Tongan forwards. Their style of play and accuracy was a spectacle.

If the same French team doesn't front up as the one who didn't for 70mins against Japan, a boilover isn't impossible.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    The Canada game was great to watch last night
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Bugger to have missed it- good to know it's piqued the interest of a Canadian mate who had to be reminded the World Cup was on not even 3 days ago

vCash
    oh, canada.. have to admit, i am juuuust a little jealous....

by and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth-george carlin:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderchicken9 View Post
    i am juuuust a little jealous....
    You never know. Your mob were pretty impressive against the Paddies. Italy in a narrow win over Ireland. Bonus point wins against the Russkis and Italy and your boys are in like Flynn. You can't hope for anything more than that, though.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Swee_82 View Post
    Bugger to have missed it- good to know it's piqued the interest of a Canadian mate who had to be reminded the World Cup was on not even 3 days ago
    You should be able to catch a replay?
    I got the one at about 7 last night
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    a win against Russia, and an earth-shattering upset of italy.. I'd like nothing better. Russia v. us at the Churchill was tight though. They will be gunning for the USA. I think its going to be close. Hopefully the aggression shown against Ireland wasn't all emotion. oh. and if we can hold the Wallabies under 80 points, that'd be cool too!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    You should be able to catch a replay?
    I got the one at about 7 last night
    Pffft I recorded it

Foxtel IQ FTW

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderchicken9 View Post
    a win against Russia, and an earth-shattering upset of italy.. I'd like nothing better. Russia v. us at the Churchill was tight though. They will be gunning for the USA. I think its going to be close. Hopefully the aggression shown against Ireland wasn't all emotion. oh. and if we can hold the Wallabies under 80 points, that'd be cool too!
    The aggression was still evident chook!

C'mon the

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I was interested to see that article interviewing the Russian team director Kingsley Jones...

The end of the Cold War, however, virtually destroyed the sport in Russia and it continues to struggle for media exposure and commercial interest, but Jones said the fact that Russia's deputy prime minister Alexander Zhukov was attending the match indicated its importance.

"I suppose it says that it [rugby] is being taken seriously," Jones said. "The deputy prime minister will add extra interest and Russia will be looking at this [saying], 'This is serious'."

Russia has also been awarded the International Rugby Board's rugby sevens World Cup in 2013, while the introduction of the cut-down version of the sport in the Olympics programme in 2016 will also undoubtedly boost the game's appeal and exposure.

"We had three things that changed Russian rugby dramatically — that is rugby getting into the Olympics, qualifying for the rugby World Cup, and winning the right to host the Rugby World Cup Sevens in 2013," Russian Rugby Union vice-president Howard Thomas said.

"Those three factors are the perfect wave and Russian rugby has a lot of opportunities now to ride this wave.

"There is no doubt, as symbolised by this trip, that we have government support.

"Our government wants us to become a major rugby nation. They are prepared to support us in order to achieve that."...
    http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/report...eagles_1586949

If that is serious, then who knows how quickly they might progress. Even better if they started a mini-arms war with the US, encouraging them to get involved.

vCash
    Russia and Japan will rise quickly; the States could be left in the dust by 2015. The vaunted NBC contract for rugby so far has yielded the college 7s and 1 World Cup match, with 2 more (only!) scheduled to follow. Promised further, more extensive 7s beckoning. Seems as if we are putting all our eggs in the 7s basket.. dangerous, given the rise of other countries. but in a free market,( read uninhibited advertisement), 7s is much more palatable to sponsors. Also, 7s will have much less of an impact on established us sports for world class athletes. Can we keep up? yes, if enough talent can make a living in union, with at least 1 us professional side. Will we...?? Just an opinion from up here, which ain't worth the ink it took to write -

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    When I was working in Russia in 1993 I picked up a Rugby book at a bookshop for 10 rouble (the exchange rate that day was about 1500 roubles to the AUD).

Attached Images Attached Images      

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    PS> I haven't read it all yet

vCash
    Watching the Russia - USA game yesterday got me thinking... There has been a huge increase in playing numbers in the former Eastern Bloc countries in the last 4 years. I wonder if it would be viable to set up an Eastern European version of the Celtic League with teams from Russia, Georgia and Romania? Just a thought with no research put in whatsoever...

vCash
    I know Russia have eight premier league teams of their own. Georgia also have eight, with eight in the second division as well.

Most of the top players are plucked into the NH club comps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast