Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: God has been so good to me, says Australia winger Digby Ioane

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

God has been so good to me, says Australia winger Digby Ioane

Wayne Smith From: The Australian September 10, 2011 12:00AM

IT has taken only one injury-free season for Wallabies winger Digby Ioane to come into the World Cup as the hot favourite to finish as the tournament's leading try-scorer but then, he always had faith.

Faith in his own ability, sure, but more importantly faith in God, and now the quietly religious Queenslander can't wait to see what might be possible if his blessed run continues over the next six weeks.

Heaven knows Ioane has had more than sufficient reason to suspect his time would never come. He performed well on debut against Wales at Suncorp Stadium in 2007 but then was overlooked for the last World Cup squad. And then, having asked for a release from the Western Force to return to Queensland, he initially struggled to make an impression as a series of injuries held him back.

Just when his 2010 Super Rugby season with the Reds looked to be taking off, he was laid low with a shoulder injury that required reconstructive surgery. He missed the Wallabies spring tour but, with the benefit of a strong off-season, he was able to hit the ground running this year, becoming one of the leading contributors to the Reds' Super Rugby title.

And that, in turn, has seen him finally secure the Test spot that had looked his for the taking as far back as 2006 when he was named as one of the finalists for the IRB Under-21 Player of the Year.

"I just feel so blessed," said Ioane yesterday. "God has been so good. I've had no injuries this year."

Yet for all the success this season has delivered, not just the Super Rugby title but also the Tri-Nations Cup, Ioane isn't allowing himself even a moment to pause and reflect on how far he has come. With James O'Connor and Drew Mitchell both back on the available roster and pressing for selection, he recognises that now is not the time for self-congratulation.

"It's not about being happy just playing for Australia," he said, "It's about being passionate about being the best out there.

"I can't really say I've reached my potential. I'm still learning. I'm going up against the best in the world, wingers like Bryan Habana (the Player of the Year when the Springboks won the last World Cup in 2007.)"

As influential as he is on the field, Ioane is exerting quite a presence off the field as well, particularly among his fellow Pacific islanders, introducing the trademark Reds handshake to the Wallabies. "We're bringing back the love and the handshake," said Ioane. "Everyone's connecting."

Indeed, at his prompting, the Wallabies have even adopted the Reds' habit of insisting that any players who blow up with each other during training have to slow dance afterwards.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226133453013

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Aww that's nice... NOW STAND UP STRAIGHT FOR F**KS SAKE

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    god must have been the one responsible for his reneging on the Force deal!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    While I respect everyone's beliefs and their interpretation of "things", implicit in God being good to someone I would think is God being "bad" to someone else in return. If Berrick was a devout Christian would he be saying, "Yeah, God was pretty bad to me earlier in the year, kept on sending messengers to give me multiple concussion..."?

I personally think the big fella may have bigger fish to fry than looking after an individual’s injury luck on the Rugby pitch. Helping put someone in the mindset to attain peak fitness and hit every impact at full strength yes, ruling over every situation that may or may not generate an injury to two or more players, not so much. He has to leave some time to enjoy the match…

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    something i learnt many years ago... never question a polynesians faith

it is what it is

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    If you don’t have the courage to respectfully question someone’s beliefs you will never grow to understand another person’s position. It is not a challenge, it is an enquiry.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Lol, Yep no worries
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    While I respect everyone's beliefs and their interpretation of "things", implicit in God being good to someone I would think is God being "bad" to someone else in return. If Berrick was a devout Christian would he be saying, "Yeah, God was pretty bad to me earlier in the year, kept on sending messengers to give me multiple concussion..."?
    actually, being a regular churchgoer I know plenty who would attribute a run of bad luck to spiritual forces as well. I can't say I completely buy into the whole 'everything is the result of a spiritual influence' point of view, but I do think that God makes use of the mundane to achieve his purposes. I don't reckon it's too long a bow to think that God might've given Digby an injury free run so that his messages could be promoted more widely.........or maybe it's just blind luck. Either way, it's good to see a bloke who'll stand up for his faith!

C'mon the

Veteran
    vCash
    he never seems to stand fully straight though...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by palitu View Post
    he never seems to stand fully straight though...

...(almost) stand up for his faith...

How's that?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Wallabies winger Digby Ioane could miss the remainder of Rugby World Cup 2011 with injured thumb
    AAP September 12, 2011 12:11PM

The Wallabies face a nervous wait as gun winger Digby Ioane undergoes scans on an injured thumb at Rugby World Cup 2011.

Ioane was sent for the scans on Monday after his thumb became more swollen overnight after injuring it in Australia's opening 32-6 win over Italy on Sunday.

The Wallabies will be anxious to have strike weapon Ioane on deck for Saturday's big Pool C match against fellow heavyweights Ireland at Auckland's Eden Park.

Ioane's injury could open the door for New South Wales Waratahs winger Drew Mitchell who is on the comeback trail after fracturing his ankle against Queensland Reds in April.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Cut the bastard off, it's the WORLD CUP MAN!!!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Wonder if Wayne Smith will write the sequel?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    the good Lord giveth,& the good Lord Taketh away

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Scans today in Auckland have confirmed that Wallabies winger Digby Ioane has sustained a fracture to his right thumb.

Ioane suffered the injury during yesterday’s 32-6 win over Italy in Australia’s opening match of the Rugby World Cup.

The injury occurred with approximately 20 minutes of play remaining when the Australian winger accidentally came into contact with the boot of his Italian counterpart, Mirco Bergamasco, as he attempted to cover a grubber kicked in behind the Australian line.

As Ioane tried to scoop up the ball, his thumb was struck by the boot of Bergamasco, who was attempting to toe the ball further down-field.

Ioane will be operated on and will remain with the Wallabies in New Zealand.

He is expected to be available to play again later in the tournament although the exact timelines on when he might be able to return will not be known until after the joint has been operated on, and his rehabilitation from the injury has begun.

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast